PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch Questions

Hands
09-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi all, im still learning lightwave and i face this proplem pretty often.
its about when i subpatch an object, alot of times i have polygons with more than 4 verticies and i get odd looking polygons in the middle of my model.
i don't know alot about why there can't be a subpatch for polygons with more than 4 verticies.
and can someone tell me how to aviod having that while im modeling (hints to stop me from getting those ugly faces!) and finally, how can i fix them if i face some of them??
thanx ;)

SplineGod
09-22-2004, 01:19 AM
Check out on my website or the kurv website. I have a free video tutorial showing how to model a simple transport ship using SubDs. :)

stib
09-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Use the statistics panel: if you need to find and fix the problem polygons, this is the best tool to use. Click on the + button next to the >4 vertices statistic and voila! they're all selected. The quick and dirty way is then just to triple them, but you'll learn more and produce better subPatches if you spend the time working on each one to get it to be a quad. It's also a good place to zap all those pesky 1 and 2 point polys that might get inadvertantly created.

Hands
09-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanx Guyz!!
You Truley Rock!!

just, splinegod can you attach the link to the file you mentioned?

thanx again and i'll do my best.
but you havent answered me why polygons with more than 4 verticies cant be turned into subpatchs?

caesar
09-23-2004, 07:35 AM
...but you havent answered me why polygons with more than 4 verticies cant be turned into subpatchs?

Its a LW limitation, subpatches must be 3 or 4 point polys only (search the features request forum and youŽll see n-gons sds as one of the top)