PDA

View Full Version : Reflection masking???

Samuraii_jkm
09-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I put together an animation with two dvd boxes that reflect a spherical map of a lighting probe. The boxes are transparent and shiny, and they are placed on a ground plane which is also shiny and reflects the boxes. The problem is that when I rendered it in HDTV format with enhanced medium anti-aliasing, I noticed that the one box reflects the other box in a weird way, creating a trailing effect that is very noticeable. I wanted to make it so that the one box doesn't see the other, and that they are both still reflecting the environment that they are in. I tried using the unseen by rays option in the object/render options box. However, this also caused the box not to reflect onto the ground plane, which was a desired effect. Anybody know of another option that will enable me to do what I want to with this animation? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated...

Silkrooster
09-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Check your camera properties and make sure that adaptive sampling is not checked.
To make the boxes so they do not reflect go to the surface editor and in the enviroment tab change the reflection options to spherical. Assuming this is where you loaded your map. If it is a backdrop then change this to backdrop. Just make sure that it does not say raytrace, as that is what creates the reflections of the objects in your scene.
Silk

Samuraii_jkm
09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
:) That sounds good. I'll try that, but won't that cause my reflections of the boxes on the ground to disappear? I wanted to keep them reflecting onto the surface of the ground, just not reflecting onto themselves.

-samuraii_jkm

Silkrooster
09-22-2004, 10:50 PM
The options I told you would only be for the objects you choose to change in the surface editor. So it is possible to have one box reflect and not the other as an example. This way you can place a spherical map on one object, a backdrop reflection on another and another object can be raytraced with either a backdrop or spherical map.
Just make sure each box and the floor has a different surface name.
Silk

Samuraii_jkm
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
:D I figured out that one of my surfaces, the offending one, was indeed set to raytrace + backdrop. It wasn't even getting the spherical reflection map on it. When I checked yesterday and saw that my others surfaces had the spherical reflection environment selected, I must have dismissed it in my mind. I decided to check once again after I read your email this morning.

Thanks for your advice...

You have been a lot of help!

-samuraii_jkm