PDA

View Full Version : water & rock pool

Roarrry
04-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Hiya everyone, im a newby to this forum and LW since about 5 months ago.

Do you have any ideas how i can make this project look alot better, either photorealistically or not, and how to make do it. ??

I cant seem to get the water to look transparent and clear so resorted to the blue and white, and the sandy rocks which should really be grey with sand on them well i couldnt get that either. and with no knowledge yet of UVs ive been sticking to procedurals and gradients to try and achieve good results first.

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated!!

Rory

having problems attaching the image in the forum so:
http://www.roryonthe.net/RockPoolRender1.jpg

Rory_L
04-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the forums Rory! There`s more of us than you`d expect. Are you a Scotish Rory, or an Irish one? I`m neither, but my Dad`s Irish.

Well, first off, I`d reduce your colour saturation by about 75%: it`s hurting my eyes!! The go and get yourself the Coffee shader plugin from Flay and slap it on your water. That`ll give you very nice graduated transparency.

For the rock, I`d work at getting the rock looking rocky first and then overlay that surface with the sand texture, using alpha gradients and or fractals.

Do you have any good reference pics of rock pools? That would help. I think that usually there is horizontal striation in the colour and texture of rocks leading up from sea water, caused by varying exposure times.

If you`re going for realism you`ll need seaweed and jetsam.

Hope this helps.

Rory

Roarrry
04-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Helloo there, im neither Irish nor scottish and nors any of my family, my mum just loved the name!

Thats great, i will go get that plugin. Ive got some more reference pics now which should help. And will have ago at the seaweed.

Cheers rory! Watch this space!

Rory

p.s. my names Rory L too, but i dont suppose your last name is Lawrence though.?

Rory_L
04-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Rory Little.

Best of luck; I`ll be watching!

R