View Full Version : Radeon X600 XT Modeler problem

Avalon111
09-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi!
i have upgraded my PC. now iam using an MSI RADEON X600XT
and here is my problem

i create a box
in back view i select the points from up do down
the point i selected i the view is not selected in the other views it is but not in that one iam working in. thats realy bad when you were using the single view layout.

i tried to change the settings of the X600 and upgraded the drivers, no effect.

anyone knows help???

mattclary
09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Man, that's just weird. Does it ACT like it's selected? i.e., does it move or whatever?

Avalon111
09-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Man, that's just weird. Does it ACT like it's selected? i.e., does it move or whatever?
yes!

if i zoom or move the view it gets highlighted (looks selected :) )

Avalon111
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
today i removed the displaydrivers and restarted my pc
after the restart WinXP used his own universal display drivers the modeler is working like always

when i install the newest ati-drivers i get this selection problem.

i think the problem is the ati driver

Avalon111
09-24-2004, 12:10 AM
it is a problem with the ati drivers

i have installed the drivers from the grafic card installation CD and everything is working perfect!

Lamont
09-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Cool, because I am going for ATI for my next comp.

Exper
10-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Last ATI's driver Catalyst A.I. has some performance optimization tweaks! :p

Exception
10-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Lamont: seriously, DON'T!
We use a humber of them and they are a disaster with Lightwave, look at these screenshots, which I can reproduce for you one every ATi video card that you let me try:

http://www.except.nl/aticrash-1.jpg

Exception
10-05-2004, 05:29 AM
http://www.except.nl/aticrash-2.jpg

http://www.except.nl/aticrash-3.jpg

This last one is a complete video card crash, which occured right after making the previous screenshots. I had to take the image with a camera... modeler had locked up...

http://www.except.nl/aticrash.jpg

Pounie
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Same problem with Modeler (LW8.01) as you describe Avalon. video card ATI X800 XT with latest driver proposed by ATI (6.14.10.6476). The point in the viewport is selected but not highlighted, as long as I'm not zooming in the viewport.
I tried to play with the Hardware acceleration settings, but no success...

David

Lamont
10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Bah!! That sucks hard core, but after my post I found a retail place that has the nVidia card I want. I was going with ATI because a 6800 Ultra is really hard to find...

mattclary
10-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Better to buy an nVidia tomorrow rather than an ATI today. ;)

Lamont
10-05-2004, 01:02 PM
I've always been an nVidia guy because it's what we use here at work. I have been looking at a 775 mobo and that's the fastest pci exp gaming card. I know there's a 6800 Ultra pci exp due in October.

Exper
10-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Better to buy an nVidia tomorrow rather than an ATI today. ;)More than agree! :)

JML
10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
(I have a ati card)
if you use your computer especially for lightwave then you should
get a nvidia card..
I hear a lot of problems with ati cards when using lightwave..

norvman
10-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Never had any problems with mine..... (ATI 9600) (ATI 8500) (ATI AIW 128 Pro Rage)

first I have heard of problems with the ATI cards.... that is that weren't related to driver updates and wot not.....

actually I had some problems with the Hydravison drivers once.... (I use a dual monitor setup) so I unistalled them... I usally run a pretty minimal install when it comes to hardware drivers of any kind... manufacturers allways want to install way to much crap-ola on your computer .....

anywayz... my $.02

Heko
11-20-2004, 08:51 AM
I got the EXACT same problem with my Radeon 9600 Pro and Lightwave 7.5d. Any idea how to fix the problem? I really wouldn't like to use the OLD drivers I got with the card.

Oh, and that's not the only problem. I can't really get my Modeler or Lightwave working at all. Dunno if that's bacause of the Radeon or some other problem.

Heko
11-20-2004, 10:56 AM
I got the EXACT same problem with my Radeon 9600 Pro and Lightwave 7.5d. Any idea how to fix the problem? I really wouldn't like to use the OLD drivers I got with the card.

Oh, and that's not the only problem. I can't really get my Modeler or Lightwave working at all. Dunno if that's bacause of the Radeon or some other problem.
I actually managed to fix this problem simply by downloading and using the new beta drivers. All the problems with LW7.5d went away! Or at least I can't see any problems after 15 minutes of use.

SO, I suggest that you try the new BETA version of the ATI Drivers (ATI Catalyst Beta 8.07.) They can be found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=877&file=1&evp=c129b03622e4d8f3a57f9907f58f3aef

Actually I DID one other things besides that. I disabled the "Fast Write" feature from the SMARTGARD(tm) settings panel at the Display Properties whatever. But I do not think that it ha anything to do with the issue...

Avalon111
11-20-2004, 02:15 PM
I actually managed to fix this problem simply by downloading and using the new beta drivers. All the problems with LW7.5d went away! Or at least I can't see any problems after 15 minutes of use.

SO, I suggest that you try the new BETA version of the ATI Drivers (ATI Catalyst Beta 8.07.) They can be found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=877&file=1&evp=c129b03622e4d8f3a57f9907f58f3aef

Actually I DID one other things besides that. I disabled the "Fast Write" feature from the SMARTGARD(tm) settings panel at the Display Properties whatever. But I do not think that it ha anything to do with the issue...

i have emailed ati my problems. i tried the new beta drivers from the ati page no effect. the problems are geting stranger!!!!

i will not buy a new card!!!!!!

i am wondering what the guys from newtek are thinking about this problem?
maybe everything will be better with Lightwave [8.2] :)

mattclary
11-20-2004, 07:36 PM
i am wondering what the guys from newtek are thinking about this problem?
maybe everything will be better with Lightwave [8.2] :)

Probably that you should buy a card with decent OpenGL support.

Avalon111
11-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Probably that you should buy a card with decent OpenGL support.

i have just installed the newest ati (radeon) drivers (not the beta one)

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-071-041026a-018719c.exe

and the problem is gone!!!!! :D

pixeltek
11-21-2004, 05:09 PM
A few months ago, ever since installed a 9800 pro, a new Momo, and LW8, I have had daily Modeler crashes. Layout works fine, incidentally. After much checking, people at NT have sent me some config files, that i have to reload every time I turn the computer on, and my LW8 works ok, albeit without the conveniences of retaining anything from one operation to the next. So it has been a real struggle working with LW. For the longest time I was the only one with a problem, suddenly I see this posing, and realize that it may not just be some peculiar SW incompatibility issue in my computer with LW8, but most likely the ATI card/drivers. When I posted my problem here, there were few responses or ideas. I too had been using Nvidia cards for years (and probably will go back there again in future).

Right now I will go and load the new driver and see if that helps this annoying problem as well.

Thanks,

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

Sande
11-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm running Lightwave with ATI fine, but generally (and even more so in the past) nVidia seems to have a better OpenGL-support.

If I would buy a card just for the Lightwave it would probably be nVidia but I would check the image quality of the card very carefully - I stared GeForce 2 GTS's blurry output couple of years, which was the reason why I bought this ATI...

I guess nVidia has fixed at least some of their image quality problems recently though.

pixeltek
11-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, so much for that. I installed the latest (linked above) ATI drivers, but still wrestle with the same problems. As before, I need to reload fresh LW config files every time after booting up the computer, or Modeler crashes without mercy. :mad:

Karl

Avalon111
11-22-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm running Lightwave with ATI fine, but generally (and even more so in the past) nVidia seems to have a better OpenGL-support.

If I would buy a card just for the Lightwave it would probably be nVidia but I would check the image quality of the card very carefully - I stared GeForce 2 GTS's blurry output couple of years, which was the reason why I bought this ATI...

I guess nVidia has fixed at least some of their image quality problems recently though.

the strange thing was that lightwave was the only applicaton witch had problems with my ati card!

btw.
i also play games (openGL) with my pc no problems!!!!

Avalon111
11-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, so much for that. I installed the latest (linked above) ATI drivers, but still wrestle with the same problems. As before, I need to reload fresh LW config files every time after booting up the computer, or Modeler crashes without mercy. :mad:

Karl

do you use LW 8.0.1?

maybe 8.2 will fix your peoblems

mattclary
11-23-2004, 05:26 AM
the strange thing was that lightwave was the only applicaton

Are you using any other professional 3D apps or are you just considering games?

ATI excels at making games fast, they do not excel at the type of OpenGL support required for a pro 3D app. It's apples and oranges.

Avalon111
11-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Are you using any other professional 3D apps
Autodesk Inventor, Max6, hyperMILL, hyperCAD (and they are working fine)

ATI excels at making games fast,
not only fast, they are also looking very good (do you know doom3?)

they do not excel at the type of OpenGL support required for a pro 3D app
i dont think so, because iam using ati cards since 3dfx has gone. and i never had a problem with openGL or directX. (btw. this is my 5th ati card)
we us nvidia Quadro cards in the office since 3 years and if you would know how many driver problems we had in the first 9 month nobody would say that nvida is better when it comes to professional applications (Autodesk Inventor, Max6, hyperMILL, hyperCAD).

i would say that we have 2 top gpu manufacturers, ati and nvidia.
but nobody can produce a piece of technology that works 100% for everyone.

iam sure, my next gpu will also be an ATI.

pixeltek
11-23-2004, 08:08 AM
I use WIN2000 Pro, and all other applications, including games work just fine. I do get a message, regarding Open GL, when I open Vue D'Esprit 4 Pro, but it runs fine, nonetheless. The only problems are with LW8/8.01. I reinstalled it numerous times, but that changed nothing. The Modeler crashes every time. Only reloading the config files each time before starting up LW works. However, that almost takes the fun out of working with LW, since it retains no prior information this way.

As stated earlier, none if this happened until I switched to a Radeon 9800 Pro card.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

zardoz
01-23-2005, 11:04 AM
hi guys, i've been checking this thread because i have a ati9600 and i had the same problems...selecting points the last point selected would disappear, and small grey squares would show on screen and other strange effects. When i had a 9000 pro it didn't happen, it was just perfect.

But now i fixed this.

So, for me the solution was to install these omega drivers:

rad_w2kxp_omega_2597_beta.exe

And now everything is perfect.

I know that everyone has a different configuration so this may not work for you guys.
I hope it does work. Good luck!