PDA

View Full Version : Mac EPSF import problem in 8.0.1 - Cause and Workaround Found

BeeVee
09-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi all,

I think I've found a workaround to the EPS problem that people have been facing with the 8.0.1 update. Try moving the EPS file to a non-system drive. I've only been able to check with a CD containing an EPS file until now, so I would appreciate feedback on what sort of other medium you've tried. I would like to hear from people who've used an external drive, a CD-R, a USB memory key and anything else for that matter...

B

BeeVee
09-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Hello? No Mac users out there? No-one can tell me my idea works?

B

bloontz
09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
I tried it with a network share from a pc and a firewire drive and in both cases it failed. I've been working with LW on a pc lately so I'm not familiar with the problem, it said I need to check the permissions.

parm
09-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi

I'm using an external Maxtor Firewire drive with my lightwave content directory, but when trying to load eps's from it get the same permissions dialogue in 8.0.1. The files load fine into LW 7.5.

Parm

noiseboy
09-22-2004, 05:17 PM
works here BeeVee. EPS loader won't open from directory on system drive, will open from non system firewire external drive, Mac OS 10.3.5

Colin

tmueller
09-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Yep BeeVee, that worked for me also! I saved an EPS file to an external Maxtor Firewire drive, and it work great! I even drug files from the system drive (Mac OS 10.3.5) that wouldn't work to the external drive, and now they work fine too! Thanks!

-tmueller

wowens
09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
EPS Loader opens an Adobe Illustrator 6 EPS from an external Iomega USB Zip drive.

Avebeno
09-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Me too! Even after changing permissions on the file, it only worked when I moved it to another drive.

Thanks for the tip!

BeeVee
09-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Okay, cool. We seem to be narrowing the field. It seems to work for some from an external FireWire drive, but not others. For those it doesn't work for, have you tried loading the file from a CD - that worked for me - and although it's a non-system drive, it's not truly external to your Mac...

B

BeeVee
09-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Okay, done more tests here and installed an internal hard drive into our machine and it didn't work again. We looked at the format for both our hard drives and they were both MacOS extended (journaled) format. Can someone have a look to see if they are successfully loading an EPS from this file system, or if the file system they are managing to load from is different. You get the info on the formatting of the drive by clicking on the drive and hitting Apple i...

B

noiseboy
09-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Alternatively you could always try turning journaling off in the Disk Utility app apple-j to see if this helps or... fix the plugin ;)
I'll see if journaling is turned on on my external later.

Darth Mole
09-23-2004, 05:25 AM
There was another thread on here suggesting that simply moving the .eps file off the Desktop and into a separate folder on a lower level of the HD seems to solve the problem. It all appears to be due to permissions - or something.

bloontz
09-23-2004, 07:18 AM
I tried a DVD and it still failed. My system drive is the only one that is journaled and I tried turning journaling of to no avail. This is on a new G5 running 10.3.5 BTW.

BeeVee
09-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Dammm... Okay, so we're still not in the clear. Have you got an external connection you can use for the EPS file?

B

tmueller
09-23-2004, 08:32 AM
BeeVee, I'm at work ( last post/test was from my home system) and I have two external LaCie drives. Both are formated "Mac OS extended", but one is also "Journaled". Both drives work fine bringing in EPS files. Don't know if that helps at all...

-tmueller

tmueller
09-23-2004, 08:42 AM
One more test, I put an EPS file to a "ZIP" disk wich is formated "Mac OS Standard". It worked fine too! I hope that helps users with only one drive. It's a good work-around! Thanks again BeeVee.

-tmueller

BeeVee
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
How are they connected to your Mac? Are they Firewire? Because there have been others on here that can't bring in files on Firewire drives...

B

tmueller
09-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Yes, the hard drives are connected via firewire, but the "ZIP" is connected by USB.

-tmueller

BeeVee
09-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Okay, question for Parm who said that it didn't work on his external firewire drive. Do you have any kind of Mac system on there, or is it just data?

B

parm
09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi BeeVee

I had a look, and there was in fact an old system folder in there, so I got rid of that. But still no joy. However the same files load perfectly from a CD.
There are two things that I can think of that may be affecting the drive: one, is that it was formatted when I had OS 9.something,(I don't know what I can do about that), and the other, is that I seem to be the only one running 10.3.4. So I shall upgrade the OS over the weekend sometime and see if that works,(fingers crossed).

Parm

moth0027
09-23-2004, 04:09 PM
I've got a USB memory stick (Buffalo 256MB) and it works using that. Much easier then getting out my backup Firewire hardrive from off a shelf, plugging in power and cables etc...

Thanks BeeVee

BeeVee
09-24-2004, 01:54 AM
Okay, I brought in my old USB Zip250. It had a PC-formatted disk in there, which didn't work, but I've re-formatted it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and it worked fine.

Running a G5 with Mac OSX 10.3.5.

More grist for the mill...

B

riki
09-24-2004, 06:19 AM
I tried loading from my desktop with an eps file from AI-CS and recieved an error message about File permissions. I then exported the eps as a legacy AI 8 file and it worked fine from my desktop.

riki
09-24-2004, 06:21 AM
I'm fairly sure EPSLoader has only ever worked with Iluustrator 8 EPS Files.

BeeVee
09-24-2004, 07:22 AM
New thing to try: For those who can load EPS files now, make the name longer than 32 characters and try again. For those who still can't, shorten the name of the file to two or three characters and try again...

B

BeeVee
09-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Further to my last post, it seems that you can't load an EPS off a system disk, plus the total path length cannot be more than 32 characters. This means that if you have a path like so: very_long_Mac_partition_name:sub-folder:extremely_long_vector_filename.eps, you're probably sh*t out of luck... :)

B

Matt
09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm fairly sure EPSLoader has only ever worked with Iluustrator 8 EPS Files.

That's right.

v8 and below = Postscript

v9 and above = PDF

Have to say; that's a very strange error you Mac guys are getting, I'm glad I'm on a PC!

Scazzino
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Looks like it's just the path length...

If it's on an external disk, the path is probably very short, which is why it works...

When it's on the system disk, the path is usually long, if it's in your users/documents folder, or deeper.

Moving it to the root of your internal system hard drive should let it work, as long as the entire file path (hard drive name / filename . extension) is all less than 32 characters...

-MikeS

parm
09-24-2004, 11:04 AM
10.3.5 installed and eps files stil won't import from Firewire drive, but do import from an Iomega mini USB drive, which will do for me. Thanks very much for coming up with the work around.

Parm

AaronKent
09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey all. I'm at work and just experienced the problem you guys have been addressing. I'm on a network of about 9 G5s and I found that if I copied the EPS file to any other computers system drive in the network I could sucessfully load the EPS file on my seat of Lightwave. Hope this helps.

Aaron Kent

JackDeL
09-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi, I'm still using 7.5d so I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I have a question for you. These eps files you speak of, have they been built in Illustrator, or saved from another vector program such as freehand or corel as an Illustrator format? just curious.

It seems strange that you can only read the file AFTER it has been moved to another drive, Every once in a while at work I'll get permission errors trying to read a file from a remote drive, never the other way around though.

Also have these eps in question been built by you or someone else? Do any of the machines you use have multiple user accounts? maybe the file was built by another user?

Sorry, I'm not much help. :(

wowens
09-26-2004, 12:07 PM
MikeS -- Moving the EPS file to the root internal system hard drive, as you suggested, allowed EPSF Loader to import the file. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone have a solution for the OBJ file import CRASH problem?

Avebeno
09-26-2004, 02:57 PM
I recntly bought the DAZ Freak character .. an OBJ file, and it works fine. UV maps & all.

- Ben

wowens
09-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Avebeno -- What version of LightWave are you using? I just tried opening the FREAK OBJ file and LightWave 8.0.1 crashed again!

Avebeno
09-26-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm using 8.0.1 - Have you tried to opened it in modeler and resaved it as a LWO file?

Avebeno
09-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I spoke too soon. I can't do it.

I can open the file in 7.5 modeler & layout.

noiseboy
09-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Does anyone have a solution for the OBJ file import CRASH problem?

replace conv3d.p with version from 7.5.

Pastrana
09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
I had to broke in parts my logo (a bit complicated) in order to bring it into LW801

cj8n
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't have a EPSF loader in my import menu. How can I get it to show up?

Thanks,

Chris

wowens
09-30-2004, 07:58 PM
replace conv3d.p with version from 7.5.

Thanks -- That solved the problem!

Hollow Earth
10-01-2004, 08:44 AM
thanks for this tip. saved me no end of grief. this is EXACTLY what message boards are brilliant for :-)

RTilley
10-05-2004, 06:43 AM
(g5 Mac os x 10.3.5)
I Have tries all the suggestions
Firewire external 40gb portable os extended doesnt work.
CDR doesnt work.
HD doesnt work.

HELP

Will it work if the portable drive is journaled? :(

BeeVee
10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Have you tried making sure that the path and filename are less than 33 characters?

B

RTilley
10-05-2004, 07:44 AM
My file names are 4 characters long so its not a problem.

But since posting the last note I have backed up what was on my 40gb portable and erased and partitioned the drive so I have one 20gb journaled partition and another 20gb thats just os extended. The wierd thing is now ive done this I can import the same eps files from either partition journaled or not!!

I cant explain it but it works. :)

BeeVee
10-05-2004, 07:49 AM
It's not just the filename that's a potential problem, but also the pathname. If your path is something like

Macintosh HD:down in the deeps:we go to hunt:for truffles:longfilename.eps

it would matter if your file was just called

Macintosh HD:down in the deeps:we go to hunt:for truffles:1.eps

it still wouldn't work.

B

RTilley
10-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks BeeVee

I think I get now, as when I put my eps back into a deeper organised file it stops working.
It only works when it sat straight in the drive at top level.

Rich

BeeVee
10-05-2004, 09:47 AM
You got it! :) Glad it works now for you...

B

Turner
10-09-2004, 06:23 AM
No.

The title to this thread is misleading.

As far as I'm concerned, the problem will be solved when this feature works as it's supposed to without workarounds.

Tried importing .eps files today for the first time. I am PISSED OFF.

Andrew

Nigel Baker
10-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Yes it works from my external drive but this is not good enough. Thanks for the tip it was driving me crazy. Any word of when Newtek will fix it. A small but very important feature.

BeeVee
10-13-2004, 06:34 AM
It doesn't only work from an external drive, it works from anywhere as long as the pathname and filename combined don't exceed 32 characters.

B
PS. Yes, the development team are aware of it, yes it will be fixed when the next update of LightWave appears.

monovich
10-13-2004, 12:41 PM
got it working by moving to a network drive named Vol1. So now the path to the file is tiny, and it's outside the user folder.

still a major pain, but at least it works.

thanks for the tips!

jclarrey247
10-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Just found out I have the same problem...but I dont have any type of External Hardrive with my G5 other then burning a CD and using it. (right?) Well I tried this and LW8 crashes each time I load the object.

-I am naming the file "box2.eps"
-putting it on my desktop
-This is an Illustrator 8.0 file, eps

What am I doing wrong? Since I have no external Hardrive, which I could just purchase a small Memory stick of some sorts but what if that doesnt work? Lightwave wont reimburse me...!?!? Glad I found this thread I really just thought I was an idiot and was missing something about my own computers permissions...what the heck?!
:confused: :confused:
J-

Turner
10-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Believe it or not, I think just putting it on your desktop could make the filepath too long, since it's probably "name of your hard drive" > "Desktop folder"....

Try throwing right into your hard drive. That's the only way I could avoid this nonsense.

Andrew

Just found out I have the same problem...but I dont have any type of External Hardrive with my G5 other then burning a CD and using it. (right?) Well I tried this and LW8 crashes each time I load the object.

-I am naming the file "box2.eps"
-putting it on my desktop
-This is an Illustrator 8.0 file, eps

What am I doing wrong? Since I have no external Hardrive, which I could just purchase a small Memory stick of some sorts but what if that doesnt work? Lightwave wont reimburse me...!?!? Glad I found this thread I really just thought I was an idiot and was missing something about my own computers permissions...what the heck?!
:confused: :confused:
J-

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Okay, make sure that the path and filename for your EPS is less than 32 characters. Putting it on the desktop means it will have a long path - put it at the root of your hard drive instead.

B

Nigel Baker
10-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Would it not be an idea to tell us where Lightwave starts counting from, ie where does the path with LW start. My friend and myself have been trying this out this morning changing name lenghts and the HD name. It does work but it would help just to know where the path starts and then to count to 32.

Thanks anyway for the extra help .

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Okay, here's an example for you:

"Macintosh HD:directory name:the path name:epsfile.eps" is 53 characters long so your file won't load.

"Macintosh HD:epsfile.eps" is 24 so the EPS will load.

Can I be any more explicit? :)

B

PS. The desktop directory is buried deep in a longer path. It is never near the start. If you want to be near the start, put the file in your hard drive as soon as you open its window...

eblu
10-22-2004, 11:18 AM
i don't want to hurt anybody's feelings...

but this is a real bonehead bug.
there is no reason for it, it actually takes more time to create than it does to avoid.

there comes a point in the lifetime of a cross-platform product that its becomes a liability Not to rely on more platform specific code. I think LW past that about 4 years ago. this bug is just a symptom.

just my 2 cents, take it with salt.

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I shall. Not that the LightWave developers need defending but it took several weeks after the release of 8.0.1 for anyone to report this issue. It was what is technically known as "one of those things".

B

eblu
10-22-2004, 04:01 PM
is the fact that meta link is tragically worthless because it randomly leaves points behind also "one of those things?"

beevee, what you are implying that there is some sort of beta Testing by USERS AFTER you release the software. There is no such agreement, or accepted practice. When you release an update to LW you (newtek) are saying that the product is ready for users, and has been tested to the best of your ability. I can accept that some bugs crop up. this happens. its the way of things. We work together to first find a workaround, then to fix the problem (this thread is a GOOD example of finding a workaround). ok. But I pay you to at least check your work before you ship the product. Its one thing that the user base is a great resource for tips and feedback, its wholly another to rely on us to do your job for you. I don't like the implication that I or my comrades dropped the ball by not noticing this failure in a timely fashion. That is passing the buck, and one thing I know for certain... the user base of LW is not in any way responsible for any bugs that crop up in LW. we are simply trying to get Our work done... correctly and in a timely fashion.

beevee, I'm a realist with optimistic tendencies. I know what the dev team must be going through to get the product out the door, and I can easily empathize with deadlines, and glitches sneaking under the radar. you just picked a very bad approach in your defense.

BeeVee
10-23-2004, 12:52 AM
I think I miscommunicated. All I meant by saying that the problem wasn't noticed for more than a week after the software was on general release was that the issue was obscure enough not to have been found by the beta testing team. Because there was no change to the EPSF importer, I guess that no-one (on the beta team!) checked it - after all, there are enough other things to check... :)

By the way, the problem will be corrected in the next public build...

B

Lynx3d
10-23-2004, 03:35 AM
Stupid question, how can it get broken when nothing was changed? ;)

Did you change the build environment? Or was it just always wrong and only by fluke it worked in the last versions? (well the first one would imply the second actually... :D )

jclarrey247
10-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I'll take a workaround compared to NOT working at all any day. Thanks guys, placing the EPS directly into the Harddrive with a short name worked. For now, I can deal with this...nothing new to buy, I can move on with what I am working on. Thanks again!

eblu
10-23-2004, 09:55 AM
thanks beevee for putting up with my lip.

Lynx3d, what is usually the cause (if you haven't changed your code) is that somebody else changed theirs. Apple may have tweaked something on their end, or the LW team could have changed one of the functions somewhere else, that the epsf loader relies on. I'm not positive (the loader may have become part of the core program by now) but I think that the epsf loader is a plug-in, in which case it relies on LW to do some of the heavy lifting, and it may be that the part of lightwave that does all that was altered somewhat. its all connected somehow, and sometimes its impossible to predict what will break and where. remember when Apple changed the way osX can open files compared to os 9? screamernet broke. this is probably a similar issue.

blabberlicious
10-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Looks like it's just the path length...

If it's on an external disk, the path is probably very short, which is why it works...

When it's on the system disk, the path is usually long, if it's in your users/documents folder, or deeper.

Moving it to the root of your internal system hard drive should let it work, as long as the entire file path (hard drive name / filename . extension) is all less than 32 characters...

-MikeS

This indeed the problem.

I've been on to Scott at Nt about similar problems being unable to saving out of LS plug-ins - and MDD Scan motion files. LW can't handle paths longer than 32 chrs and this hampers the save dialogues, etc.

He mailed me back and acknowledge the problem. Whether it gets fixed soon is another issue

:-(

Lynx3d
10-25-2004, 04:59 AM
@eblu:
See, this is why i asked, if the error is not part of the plugin-code, then it is part of the SDK and many plugins using file requesters must be affected, and apparently they are from what blabberlicious says. Thought only the EPSF loader was affected (i'm on a PC anyway :p ) and that wouldn't make sense.
And in this case i can't understand why no one noticed it if a SDK routine is bugged that several plugins use...

Well, main point is that the error is found...

blabberlicious
10-25-2004, 05:59 AM
@eblu:
nd in this case i can't understand why no one noticed it if a SDK routine is bugged that several plugins use...

Well, main point is that the error is found...

Hi Lynx!
I too am pretty shocked. I've just checked that email that Scott sent, and he has a fix ready, along with fixes for Bone Tools (Yay!), and annoying missing Falloff guides n modller.

I'm sworn to secrecy about when these updates will be available - but I'll post him again in a few weeks, if things haven't happened.

;-)

BTW, how the 16 bit tiff imported for the mac coming along - and relax UV for the mac???

Best wishes

Lynx3d
10-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Oh uh yea, good question.

I got a bit confused with the mail discussions, Ray Garcia and Richard Brak apparently had some success compiling libTiff with Codewarrior and building the plugin, but i only got half of the discussion because i only recieved CC mails from Ray...mailed him a few days ago but didn't answer...?

Last mail adressed to me had this link:
http://homepage.mac.com/rayg0920/Lightwave/tiff16bps_OSX_20041020beta.p

I have no idea what it does, since i don't have a Mac ;)

aris
11-15-2004, 07:34 PM
I have not tried this suggestion so feel free to test it out:

As oposed to layout plugins which are called on every frame, the EPS import is a plugin you call once at the begining of modeling an object.

I suggest you guys try this until the plugin gets fixed:
- keep your EPSs in your usual deep-as directory
- make a shallow pathname, eg: Machintosh HD:lw_eps
- in the deep-as directory, make an alias of your EPS
- move the alias to the shallow lw_eps directory
- load from the alias from the lw_eps directory

Even if you junk the shallow directory, you will be just junking aliases. Your actual EPS files will be on the project directory as they should.

When the plugin gets fixed, load EPS files directly from the deep-as directory.

People comfortable with the shell could try soft-linking to the deep-as files.

kfinla
11-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Has a newer version of the tiff loader been made, ive used the beta lots, thanks for posting. But i find it makes LW unstable - i get this " lightwave out" window, and often a second copy of the - about LW, file, etc acros the menu bar. just wondering if a more stable/integrated version exists?

PeteS
11-28-2004, 01:56 PM
you guys are great!! thankls for the work around!!!! whew!!!

BTW, one time it didn't work, but when i shortened the name it worked!!!

thanks again!!

Pete

jdavidbakr
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I'll chime in here as a programmer, I had a similar problem with ScreamerNet Controller. The original OS was not designed for path names. You would get a file reference ID when you chose a file; Apple had a subroutine you could put in your code to get a file path, but they strongly discouraged its use; the idea was that a user could move the file while it was open and when they saved it it would go to the new location. Because you aren't ever supposed to need the file path, just an ID for the parent directory, they figured that 32 characters was plenty. It was considered somewhat of a hack to refer to a file by its full path name. Further, if you did, it would give the error that you are getting (which doesn't make any sense, it's the wrong error - which is Apple's fault).

The EPS loader has the user choose a file, and the file path is put into the text box (using the subroutine mentioned above, I am sure), which is then used to create the file reference (which won't work with a "filename" longer than 32 characters), and there you go, you have an error.

OS X has a new file structure that allows for referencing files by their full path names, which I am sure that NT is moving toward. It's not a trivial change (I had to work with it a bit for ScreamerNet Controller). My guess is that in some places they have changed it, and in others they haven't, which could be why it suddenly broke the loader (and other plugins), who knows, without actually seeing the code it's impossible to tell. But, my point of this post is to say that it is an understandable problem with something ported from the old Apple Toolbox... :-/

blabberlicious
12-03-2004, 02:10 AM
OS X has a new file structure that allows for referencing files by their full path names, which I am sure that NT is moving toward. [/QUOTE]

Good points.

What isn't understandable, is that this file path oversight has a great impact on the functionality many aspects of the OSX 'port'. There are numerous Plugins and Lscripts in that need to know how to access correct file paths - and I really struggle to understand what kind of quality control is going on.

Even worse, in my opinion is the way LW 'loses' the focus of the input box, combined with the one that stops you tabbing through fields and dropping the cursor in place properly. Spend a few weeks having to eyeball EVERY number you type in to avoid your numbers being thrown into the wrong field or panel (!).

Ridiculous.

There simply NO WAY that 8.01 should be dropped on us with those kind of obvious flaws. Whatever comes in 8.2 - I want to see a full listing of what's been fixed and what hasn't - so that users know what has been overlooked - undocumented or just plain ignored.

jdavidbakr
12-03-2004, 07:36 AM
What isn't understandable, is that this file path oversight has a great impact on the functionality many aspects of the OSX 'port'. There are numerous Plugins and Lscripts in that need to know how to access correct file paths - and I really struggle to understand what kind of quality control is going on.

My point, though, is that this is one bug that I can say is understandable, because the original way was a hack, which required a lot of workaround coding, which when spread all throughout the code is nearly impossible to track down until it rears its ugly head all over the place. This is unfortunately a problem with porting from the PC; the elegance of the Mac API makes the PC API seem like spaghetti... and then the Mac port will be just worse because of trying to apply the spaghetti from the horrible windows API to act the same way on a Mac. I think developers should code for the Mac first with its superior API, and then port to Windows; then they'd be like me, and realize what a mess Windows is, and not bother with a port after all. :rolleyes:

Even worse, in my opinion is the way LW 'loses' the focus of the input box, combined with the one that stops you tabbing through fields and dropping the cursor in place properly. Spend a few weeks having to eyeball EVERY number you type in to avoid your numbers being thrown into the wrong field or panel (!).

Ridiculous.

This, I agree with. But again, probably a cause and effect of trying to get the code better, old routines don't cooperate. But hopefully 8.02 will be out soon and this bug, acknowledged by NT when 8.01 was released, will be fixed.

flathd
12-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Although an old post, I too experienced this problem until moving the files to an external drive. That did solve the problem.

I'll try a CD-RW on my Powerbook to see if that works since I normally don't have an external drive connected there. Hopefully that will work, otherwise it's a major problem.

I trust NEWTEK will fix this in the next update.

BeeVee
12-09-2004, 09:42 AM
You don't have to move the file to an external disk, you just have to move it to the root of your hard drive. The desktop is not the root of your hard drive, it's actually a "fake" directory buried deep within your hard drive. When I say the root, I mean the first window that opens when you double click on your Macintosh HD icon.

B

Zarathustra
12-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I think developers should code for the Mac first with its superior API, and then port to Windows; then they'd be like me, and realize what a mess Windows is, and not bother with a port after all. :rolleyes:

Hurray! I'm your new biggest fan :D

flathd
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks, but it still doesn't work that way.

I created a folder (EPS Imports) within the programs' "Content" folder, which is clearly within the root directory of the drive and not on the desktop, however, any EPS I place there still gives me the "permissions" message.

It only seems to work by moving the files to the disk array or external LaCie.

Any other suggestions?

I'm more concerned about when I encounter this problem on my Powerbook and I'm on the road without an external handy.

Thomas
12-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I created a folder (EPS Imports) within the programs' "Content" folder, which is clearly within the root directory of the drive and not on the desktop, however, any EPS I place there still gives me the "permissions" message.

"Within the programs Content" is not the root directory.

By root means "at-the-topmost-folder", the "folder" that isn't there :rolleyes:

Double-click on your HD-icon, put the file there, it should work.

Regards
Thomas

flathd
12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
It's random. I have several EPS files that I moved to an external and they imported fine. I then moved them to the root directory and they imported.

I then experienced problems with another EPS not imported before...and it's giving me the "permissions" message. I closed all apps, verified and repaired all permissions; checked the permissions on the file itself through the "INFO" panel to insure I, in fact, had read and write permissions (which I did) and it still won't import...this time, even if I place it on an external.

There is no discernable difference in the EPSs that import and the one that won't.

I'm flustered.

Any other [email protected]

N_Fane
12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
I am a new LW user but have many years experience with more basic 3D apps for Mac. (Mac G4 2x 1Ghz, 1.5BG RAM, OS 10.3.6)

I am writing about a specific problem, but hope to convey to Newtek the difficulty of learning & navigating the non intuitive LW interface & manual. I gave up on my first attempt with LW 7.5.

I have a simple vector path (closed path) which a client asked me to try enhancing in 3D. Although my LW knowledge is minimal, I thought it would be a simple task to at least import a vector path, extrude it, bevel the edges, and perhaps apply some deformations. In the 1500 page manual there is no indexed entry for Importing a vector path, opening a vector path or anything that most other apps would offer to bring the path into Modeler. In the starter manual -which has no index (!) I finally found the "EPSF loader". I have now found the "Encapsulated Postscript loader" heading in the main manual. How hard is it to insert the logical "Import" index heading -which EVERY other manual has?

I have read the posts about "permissions" problems for EPSF loader. No matter where I place the file (internal or external drives) the import fails ("permission failure") I got info on the file & it is set for "Read & Write. I repaired permissions system wide, but still no luck.

My main point is that I am trying to perform a basic operation, which should be a slam dunk, & simply indexed in the manual. I tried calling tech support, waited 15 mins & then was told that no one was available. I received no reply from Tech Support on a previous email query. Now that I have discovered the steps to the operation, I have hit another wall & will have to wait for a response on this VERY BASIC procedure. I hope step 2 is easier than step 1.

If Newtek wants to expand its user base, then the needs of new users need to be addressed more effectively. Most of the tutorials on the Newtek site are from 2002. If an industry standard operation has a unique name in the LW interface, then a more generic heading in the index could direct users to that function. When is the last time someone asked how to "load an encapsulated postscript file?"

Thanks,

-NF

BeeVee
12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
The procedure is very simple, don't worry. The entire file and path name cannot exceed 32 characters in version 8.0.1 of LightWave. This means that if you put a file called 1.eps at the root of your hard drive (and I'm going to use the default hard drive name here) you will have a file with a pathname of Macintosh HD:1.eps - a total of 18 characters. This will work fine. The desktop is *not*, I repeat *not*, the root of your hard drive, it's a special folder far, far away from the root. To save at the root, when you are presented with a save dialogue, you click on the name of the hard drive and save there, you shouldn't create subdirectories or anything.

There is a second issue. Post version 8 of Illustrator, EPS files are saved in a derivative of Adobe's PDF format. LightWave can't import these, but they won't give you the permissions error message, so you can be sure that if you aren't getting that message, the file is at, or near, the root of your hard drive, but that the version of EPS you are using is one that can't be understood by LightWave. Reload the EPS file in your vector package and resave as a lower version of EPS.

B

flathd
12-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I've found two methods that now work.

1) Open the original file in Illustrator. Select the illustration and copy it to a new document. Save the doc on your hard drive. Also click "Export" and save it as a "legacy" AI EPS down to version 8.0. (I've experience problems with AI files above 8.0). Close out Illustrator. Open Modeler and go through the import routine using "EPSF Loader". Since you created the file, all permissions should be correct and allow an easy import. I've also found that changing permissions on the original file doesn't seem to work, nor running Disc Utility to Verify and Repair Permissions system wide.

2) Have your client set permissions so that anyone can "Read and Write", and export as above (Legacy, version 8.0). That worked as well.

3) If I "bury" the file below the root directory, for example, within a folder within the applications "Content" folder, I can't get it to import. It seems like it only likes it at the root level.

4) I agree with your "rant" about the difficulty of finding things like "EPSF Loader" within the manuals. However, the manual and other supporting books have improved immensly over previous versions. It's no comfort to resolving current issues, but matters have improved some.

BeeVee
12-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Permissions really have nothing to do with the issue at all, I can assure you. It is purely a matter of path and filename length, I promise. There is only one solution, workaround or whatever at this point in time and that is to make sure that your path and filename do not exceed 32 characters. A character is a space, a colon, a letter, a dot, a number, etc.

B

Ade
12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
I cannot load eps files (ill 8) from my mac startup disk, have had to try 7.5 to do this which is annoying.

BeeVee
12-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi Ade,

It will still work from your startup disk - it doesn't matter which disk it is you use, so long as the file and path name does *not* exceed 32 characters. Make sure that your eps name is not huge ("forty seven stroke nineteen.fourth floor.eps" was one I had to deal with recently from a Mac user, a filename that was 44 characters in length. It didn't matter whereabouts he put it on his disk drive - because the filename was already too long, adding the extra 13 characters for "Macintosh HD:" just added insult to injury).

B

BeeVee
12-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi N_Fane,

I sympathise. The index is always fine when it contains the things you are looking for, however, using the online help at this point might serve you better. Searching for "logo animation" (you can also search for "logo", but the former presents a more targetted series of results - you'll even find one of these pages if you use "vector" as a keyword, but because vector is used for a lot of things, you'll have to search through the list of results to find what you want) will give you pages of info about importing an EPS file into LightWave for exactly the purpose you want.

B

OnePerson
12-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, I've followed this thread with quite a bit of interest and skepticism. Unfortunately, I've won on the skepticism aspect.
My config:
LW 7.5d Build 491
PM G4 DP 1GHz
1.5 GB RAm
Internal 80 GB ata
Interanla 250 SATA
dual displays

Using Illustrater CS and saving down to version 8. Everytime I try to use the EPSF loader it won't do anything. Or if I click on Auto Axis Drill, LW will Unexpectedly Quit! I can reproduce it any and everytime I try. I have brought this issue up numerous times. EPSF worked fine in LW 7.0, I upgrade to 7.5 and now its broken. I feel we shouldn't have to limit where we store our files to get this to work. It should just work like advertised.

NewTek needs to address this issue and fix it. Its still a problem even in the newest version of 8.0.

One sad person.

BeeVee
01-01-2005, 10:47 AM
The thread actually has nothing to do with 7.5 - it's about a problem with filename length in 8.0.1. Your problem is something different - perhaps you are exporting Illustrator files with gradient fills? LightWave doesn't work with them and never has... :)

B