PDA

View Full Version : How to turn flat spiral tube into corkscrew

Jerry Pine
04-04-2003, 05:48 PM
I have a flat sprial tube (flat to the ground that is) that I need to turn into a corkscrew. However about 1/3 of the spiral needs to stay on the ground. I've tried highlighting 2/3 of the polugons in modeler and move or strech it that way, but it always comes out badly deformed.

The idea is to start a ball at the top and, upon release, the ball will travel down the spiral tube and come out the other end.

I'm running LW 6.5 on a PC but I have not done anything with LW since V 5. Simpley worded answers are welcomed. :-)

Regards,

Jerry Pine

riki
04-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Maybe this will help?? http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page03.htm

Rory_L
04-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Nice tut, Riki!

Here`s another idea:-

Make a flat, spiral curve. You can do this by radially arraying points with an offset, then joining the dots!

Next, place the magnet tool in the middle of the spiral and drag it upwards; the falloff will leave the outer points on the ground and the inner ones will swoop upwards.

Then all you have to do is put a disc at the start of the curve and path extrude it along to the finish.

Cheers,

R

Jerry Pine
04-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys, but neither solution worked with what I intended. Th first solution made a nice coil spring, however, I need a coil that starts in the middle and goes outward. Think of it as a combination of seashell and coil spring, if that helps.

The magnet tool was too impercise in making the coil. Thanks anyway though!

Any other suggestions? I'm close to desperate :-(

Regards

Jerry Pine

Jerry Pine
04-09-2003, 01:29 PM
I found the answer.

Create a very long, multi-segmented tube from a disk.
Use the shear tool to skew the tube about 45 degrees
Use the bend tool to grab the bottom of the tube and move the mouse right or left. the tube will begin to spiral in on itself but since the shear tube was used, it will form a spiral, much like a watch spring, instead of a donut.

Regards,

Jerry Pine