PDA

View Full Version : G5 Display card advice

brayne
09-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi all, my boss has just given me the green light to grab a better display card for my dual 2GHz G5. It's presently got a 64 MB ATI Radeon, which is what it shipped with.

I'm not even sure what's available. I'm looking for recommendations or advice. Not interested in games, only LW display performance.

Thanks,
Bruce

Studio Dweller
09-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Bruce,

If you still need to retain all of your PCI slots, then the best spec'ed retail card is the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (256MB). If you can afford to lose one PCI slot due to the large fan/heat sink, there's the nVidia 6800. It's almost twice the price of the 9800, but it's a far superior card. However, I have no experience using the nVidia with Lightwave.

I will mention that I recently bought the 9800 Pro SE for my Dual 2.5 GHz G5 and had lots of freezes. They only occured under heavy OpenGL loads, but none of them were in Lightwave, only when running Motion, X-Plane and some of the ATI demos and I ultimately ended up returning the card. Some other people on the Apple discussions site have also mentioned having problems, but for others the card is working fine. See the following thread:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.689ad8d1

brayne
09-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Studio Dweller,

I don't have any need for the PCI slots, so I might go with the 9600. I've since been told that it blows the socks off the ATI.

Bruce

Jack Tinsley
09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
I just got the new 9800 SE. No power cable is needed, it's on the board, where it should be and it looks like it only takes up one slot. This has been comfirmed on Apple discussion forum on ATI 9800 SE. It works great and I haven't experienced any crashes yet!

Good Luck and buy!

Jack

brayne
09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for info, but it has all suddenly become moot. My boss asked me if a display card will improve render times. I told him it wouldn't - that it would only improve the display capabilities from within LightWave. I told him that in order to improve render times, we would need to purchase another computer, and add it to our very old and slow renderfarm.

He just ordered me a new dual 2.5GHz G5.

I can't complain about that!

Bruce

The_Eye
09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
I waited forever for my new G5, and I'm still waiting on the nvidia 6800. To make nice, Apple offered to send me my G5 with the stock ATI card (no cost for the card) and then ship the nvidia card 2 weeks later....which will now be 7 weeks later.

The ATI has DVI and ADC ports. I have no ADC connectors/cables. Balls.
The nvidia has 2 DVI ports.

Frustrating.