PDA

View Full Version : Need help with puffy modelling problem.

bigbadelf
09-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm working on a test version of a more complicated model but i can't get it to act the way i want. The goal is to model a building with a solid frame and puffed-out "inflated" areas between the parts of the frame.

For example, how it would look if one took a frame of piping in the shape of a cube, put a balloon inside it and inflated the balloon... except with less tension on the balloon's surface so that it expands more and becomes more puffy.

I decided to try to model it using dynamics and then saving transformed, but i can't get the polys of the ball to stay within the frame - they pass through it even though they're affected despite the fact that i have soft body dynamics on the ball and collision dynamics on the frame.

Any help with either this method of modelling the object or any other would be appreciated. The framework in the final will be a series of arches around the bottom and another series of arches connecting the tips of the first level. Thanks.

Silkrooster
09-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Have you tried to subpatch the walls? Seams to me if you create a vertex near the frame say by the window or door to keep that part flat then select the center poly of the wall and either just move the poly out or do a smooth shift first. When your done press the tab key. Your walls should look puffy then.
Well thats one way, and I am sure before your done your going to find a dozen different ways to do it.
Silk

bigbadelf
09-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah, thanks. That's what i came down to. A friend and i hashed through it this morning. Thanks.