PDA

View Full Version : TEXTURES - film or digital?

lone
04-04-2003, 04:23 PM
finally got a scanner (props to moms). 1200 dpi resolution, seems decent enough, from what little i know of scanners. looks like i'll need a camera, so my question is, am i better off using film, and the scanner, or should i just get a digital camera?

riki
04-04-2003, 09:32 PM
It depends what you want the camera and scanner for.

hrgiger
04-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Well, it'd certainly be much cheaper to use digital. And the quality would be better since you wouldn't have to go through the scanner which no matter how good it is will reduce the quality of your image. Digital is what you want if you're making textures.

riki
04-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Ooops my bad, I forgot the textures bit in the title of this thread. I would only buy a Film camera if you wanted to develop your own prints. Otherwise digital is so much easier.

Anthony
04-05-2003, 07:00 PM
I'd go Digital. I'm using a Fuji S1 Pro that I have for regular photography, and it takes wonderful texture photos. There are two factors in texture photography - the resolution and the color. Color is important, because even in a seemingly monochromatic surface there are subtle hints of other colors contained inside, and you lose that on many digital cameras. I mostly paint my textures, but the Fuji talked me into letting some photo textures creep back into my work. :)

dark_lotus
04-06-2003, 01:56 AM
I bought a digital camera 2 years ago. It has paid for itself in film devlopment 15 times!!

Seriously these things are expensive, but in the end, you are spending WAY less, depending on how obsessive you are.

lone
04-06-2003, 09:47 AM
thanks for the help, guys.

loebek
04-07-2003, 10:27 AM
I would go with a "nomal" camera and develop the negatives on CD. =HUGE resolution.

Any good photodeveloper store would do this.

cu
loebek