PDA

View Full Version : 20" imac good enough??

old fashioned d
09-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi all

I'm thinking about getting the new G5 20" imac for doing my Photoshop,Illustrator, Golive work and was wondering if I could use it for LW.

The only work I do in LW is product modeling and renders. No animation whatsoever. Most renders I do are no bigger than 2000 x 2000 pixels.

Any opinions?

i'm short on space and dont want to invest anymore than I need to. I know that a tower would be alot better but if I can get by with the imac that would be coooo : )

Thanks for any insight!!

Jirapong
09-19-2004, 12:09 PM
I want to get it too. 20" iMac seem to be the reasonable one if you don't need to upgrade. ( It will be obsolete soon after you pay you credit card anyway.) Now I'm using PB 800 with 1GB ram and 7500 Redeon with 32 vram and it work fine for me. I mostly do architectural illustration at 2200 x 1500 dpi. However, it quite slow down when moving things around in Layout compare to my PC that has Ati 9200 Redeon with 128 vram. I think cpu will be used heavily when rendering and gpu will be needed for realtim rendering while working. I would go with heavy gpu so that I can speed up my work, while I can walk away after hitting F9.

WEll, it's up to you. One thing you need to know is you will make bigger and fancier file when you have faster machine, and eventually, it will speed up you work a bit.

:-)

Ryhnio
09-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I use Final Cut HD, DVD Studio 3, Studio Artist, Photoshop, Illustrator, and LW 8---
I to am curious how well a 20" IMac G5 would handle all of that- if someone has one please do comment!!!!!!

Ryhnio-

Ryhnio
09-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Currently I have a dual 1.42 g4 with 2 gigs of ram and a radeon 9800 pro

mlinde
09-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Hardware on the iMac can handle Lightwave, Photoshop, even FCP.
20" display, 1.8 GHz G5, (up to) 2GB of 3200 DDR RAM, (up to) 250MB internal SATA, 64MB GeForce FX 5200. Those specs match or beat most Powerbooks, and those work pretty well with LW. If you need PCI slots then you go for the G5 tower, otherwise the iMac is (again) a valid workstation.

monovich
09-20-2004, 12:33 PM
If it were the only computer I had access to, I probably wouldn't do the iMac. Sometimes the speed of a desktop is indespensable. But I DO do animation. I often take work home and use my 17" powerbook with 64mb of vram. It works quite well for modeling and such. But after that is done, I'm back to work on the G5s to render.

But if you're doing fairly simple stuff and only doing single frame renders, the iMac could be great. The price is great, and the form factor is even better: Almost zero desktop footprint.

old fashioned d
09-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll be getting my shiny new imac soon :D

harlan
09-20-2004, 11:00 PM
People it's a F##KING "G5" - of course it will handle Lightwave & PS & even FCP. Jesus christ man, where have you been??? A G4 & many G3's will handle Lightwave, PS, & even FCP!!

Let's not forget, ITS A G5!!! The same essential Proc. that people are running in their PowerMacs - albeit with a limited bus. The only real downside to the iMacG5 in terms of performance is the GPU - which will work just fine for most users.

I swear I don't understand people sometimes!!

If you can't afford a PMG5 & Cinema Display, buy the iMacG5 - IT'S A WONDERFUL ALTERNATIVE!!!!!

archiea
09-20-2004, 11:16 PM
People it's a F##KING "G5" - of course it will handle Lightwave & PS & even FCP. Jesus christ man, where have you been??? A G4 & many G3's will handle Lightwave, PS, & even FCP!!

Let's not forget, ITS A G5!!! The same essential Proc. that people are running in their PowerMacs - albeit with a limited bus. The only real downside to the iMacG5 in terms of performance is the GPU - which will work just fine for most users.

I swear I don't understand people sometimes!!

If you can't afford a PMG5 & Cinema Display, buy the iMacG5 - IT'S A WONDERFUL ALTERNATIVE!!!!!

Harlan, I think you for got to mention that it has a G5 processor.... :rolleyes:

jdavidbakr
09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I've been using the 17" iMac at home running FCP, Photoshop, LW, DVDSP, etc, 1 Gig RAM, 800MHz. Can't say it's screaming fast, but it's not so slow that I notice much in the interface. I am sure the new G5 iMac will do great, especially if you max it out on the RAM.