PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ volumetric rim light

xtremeskier_
09-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey, Im a total lightwave noob and im workin on a pretty simple logo animation. I am trying to make a sweet rim light effect over the backing of the logo, but i cant get it too look how i want. I want very noticable, dense rays of light coming over the backdrop. after futzing around with the properties for some time, the best i can seem to achieve, looks like a 2d background image. I cant seem to get the rays of light that im looking for. Anyone know of a tutorial on this, or have any tips?

Thanks so much!

Lewis
09-18-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure i understud all what you need but it would help to see rendered image what you have right now ?

cheers and welcome to LW community ;).

Silkrooster
09-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Not sure but it sounds like volumetric lighting that he is trying to create. Like Lewis said, go ahead and post an image. I am sure someone will help. Also if you post only a render, go ahead and give your specs as well, MAC or PC, Ver # of Lightwave, etc.
Silk

xtremeskier_
09-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Aight, so say you just have a box. On one side of the box, you got a volumetric light. On the other side of the box is the camera. You cant see the light directly thru the camera, but I want to see the rays of light coming over the box. I've been told this is called rim light. Ive been messing around with the volumetric properties, but i just can seem to get the rays. Is the effect im lookin for even possible?

Thanks

Igu4n4
09-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes it is possible,.. pretty easy actually. I think you might just be unsure of what settings to include.

First off, make sure shadows are on in rendering options, or you wont get the effect. Second, in the volumetric light properties dialogue, make sure that the cone reaches out to the camera... with the Cone height option. If you are unsure, look at your scene from a TOP down perspective, and move the Cone Height value UP until you see the light cone reach the camera. If the cone does not reach the camera, it will appear behind the object, and give you the 2d background look you spoke of.

I will attach a simple scene with the volumetric lighting working in the way I think you want, just break the scene down to see the settings. Play with the other settings until you get the look you want.

Steve.

Silkrooster
09-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Here is a small 4 second animation of volumetric lighting twirling around. :D
Format: AVI Codec: MS-WMV9
Silk