PDA

View Full Version : Can you run a dual cpu m/b with one processor?

The Wub
09-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Im upgrading from my P4 1.6 and am considering a dual processor machine. I want to get the fastest cpu's possible but dont really have the cash for 2 at once. Can I run with one cpu on a dual mb? I also use multimedia apps and dont mind a good game and am wondering how xeons and PCI-E graphics cards handle these apps?
thanks for any help

Mylenium
09-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Yes, you can, but you need to put a special adaptor in place of the second CPU, disable certain jumper bridges and configure it in the BIOS. How well your OS and apps handle this, is another matter. Personally I'd advice against it. There are certain issues to consider:

a) Due to simple electrical and BIOS matters your machine might not run as stabel as you need.

b) Once you intend to add your second CPU it may be hard to find the specific model you need and it might be even more expensive than it is now since it has become so rare.

a) You will have to re-install your OS in any case since MP systems use different DLLs etc. than single proc machines. Quite likely you will also have to re-install all your apps.

Mylenium

The Wub
09-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your info. i think i might stick with P4 this time, leave the xeon for when im actually earning money from 3d :)

Lynx3d
09-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Don't think you still need socket a terminator to run a single Socket 603/604 Xeon, at least i never saw one for sale.

My Socket-A Board worked fine with just one CPU, and so does our Server with only one Athlon MP installed. Just have to make sure you install it in the correct socket.
And why should it run less stable with one CPU? I'd say the opposite is true.

And, you do not need to reinstall Windows (nor Linux), in Windows you can switch to the SMP-Kernel in the Device Manager (for "Computer" choose "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" instead of "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" and reboot, that was all for me), but since Xeon has HyperThreading the SMP-Kernel should install by default anyway, so you have to do nothing.
In Linux you can switch kernels anytime anyway.

Applications should still all work, their threading is not dependant on the number of physical CPUs intalled.

digitalillusion
09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
If you get the PC-DL just tell the bios that you are only running 1 cpu and it will run fine!

Mylenium
09-20-2004, 04:39 AM
That's good to know and proof of how long I haven't been looking at those things. ;o)

Mylenium