PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial on how to make a starfield ;)

Cunhambebe
09-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I AM a newbie..... ;)
I was reading an excellent tutorial ( http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/ ) on how to make a starfield, but it was directed to lightwave 6.0 users (a little outdated). Since I have lightwave 8.0 I cannot find a plug-in called 'Points2Polys'....Let's see what the author wrote down...

"Convert the points left behind from the ball to single-point-polygons by running the plugin called 'Points2Polys' from the Additional menu."

Can anyone please help me to find a similar plug-in? It must have been renamed or something in version 8.0. If that's impossible to do with version 8.0, does anybody have any idea on how to make a starfield? It can be a 3D globe to get a more realistic look or a flat object built with modeler (I'll paste the flat background made with photoshop on it) - but it must be an object (not only a background) to let me move the camera...
Help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Matt
09-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I don't have v8, but it must be still there, the command in Modeler (7.5) is called 'Make 1-Point Polygons' and not 'Points2Polys'.

Mine is under the 'Create' tab. However; the menus were re-arranged and cleaned up so you may well have to configure your menus and re-interoduce it.

Here's a screenshot showing the command in the 'Configure Menus' window:

Igu4n4
09-18-2004, 10:17 AM
or better yet.. use the "new" primative in LW8, "star sphere". (Create-> Primatives-> (more) -> Star Sphere).

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/highlights2.html#StarSphere

Good luck!

Steve.
www.iguana-den.com

Cunhambebe
09-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Thank you very much for taking time to respond, Steve. I'll try to do it and post a reply later......
Thanks again!
I am definitely amazed with Lightwave. Didn't know what I was missing!

Xorlium
09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi...

there's a video tutorial on making a starfield on
www.3dbuzz.com

you have to register, and in then
downloads->lightwave->second VTM, lesson 5

riki
09-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Also check out Hyperstars http://www.ficatech.com/

Cunhambebe
09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks to all who took time to respond. As a matter of fact, the tutorial that I mentioned right above is quite good, but the thing is, Lightwave 8.0 seems to have changed many features, so the starfield tutorial for lightwave 6.0 is definitely outdated. I can make the starfield, but the thing does not fit well with my nebula that seems to be too small (another object, please take a look at the tutorial - link above). One more problem, there's no field to insert 5 Mm (megameters) - despite the fact this value must be 5 million (1 Mn = 1 million). I'm trying the new tool "starfield" in lightwave 8.0 and I'll insert this value.
By the way, sonce I am a newbie, I'm rendering the whole thing at the same time (starfield, camera movement and starships)....Am I doing anything wrong???
:confused:
Just in time: thanks for the links ;)