PDA

View Full Version : Brown Out

jefeb
09-18-2004, 02:43 AM
UGH!
We had a brown out in the middle of a 5 day render, and the .avi fie that I saved to will not play on media player. Media player says it does not support the format. Is there any way to recover the file or am I #@$% out of luck and have to start over?
HELP! :confused:

pauland
09-18-2004, 04:24 AM
You should never render out to avi or anything else - always render out to single frame sequences and reassemble the image sequences as required (either in LW, or premier, etc..).

It's probably too late now, but if you had rendered as separate images you'd be able to continue where you left off and wouldn't have lost your work.

This may be a painfull lesson, but it will serve you well for the future. I hope you can regain the ground you've lost.

Paul

johnnyh66
09-20-2004, 03:25 PM
yup, that's a nasty problem... deadline?
Always use seq. files...
a .mov file will often work after crashing.

jefeb
09-21-2004, 02:21 AM
soft deadline.
exactly which file format is best for the sequence? and what is the fastest way to reload the sequence back into LW? I tried jpeg. and I crashed trying to load more than 15-20 frames into the image editor. TGA files seemed to load faster and the image was good. but still, a bit tedious loading bit by bit.
I went with the LW_TGA32 for the render I was hoping to have something to burn by this weekend, but at 10-15 minutes a frame I dont think so.

djlithium
09-21-2004, 03:27 AM
soft deadline.
exactly which file format is best for the sequence? and what is the fastest way to reload the sequence back into LW? I tried jpeg. and I crashed trying to load more than 15-20 frames into the image editor. TGA files seemed to load faster and the image was good. but still, a bit tedious loading bit by bit.
I went with the LW_TGA32 for the render I was hoping to have something to burn by this weekend, but at 10-15 minutes a frame I dont think so.

Do a search for Virtual Dub from Avery Lee.

Virtual Dub can reconstruct most AVI files (uncompressed or compressed) by simply loading the AVI into the application it will know that it is damaged and do a frame by frame search pulling each one that it can out. You may end up with a few frames damaged in between but you can generally figure out which ones and re-construct a sequence using the results saving the "before damaged" frames portion out to another avi and the "after damaged" frames out to avi and then join them with the ones you re-render between them.

BeeVee
09-21-2004, 04:19 AM
It shouldn't take that long to load a sequence. I've done sequences extending into the thousands of pics and it's taken the 15 minutes you've talked about, but for the whole sequence, not for the individual images. The secret goes like this.

Load the first image in the sequence into Image Editor
Change Image Type to sequence.

That's it. Now to compile this sequence into an animation, set the Camera Properties to the same size as the image size, make sure anti-aliasing is turned off, set the Camera backdrop to the image sequence (you can change the display prefs so that the sequence appears in the Layout viewport at this point so that you can scrub through your sequence if you so choose), set a scene render up to the same number of frames and the animation filetype you want and hit F10. LightWave will go through the images at about 2 a second, depending on image size.

For the still images I would save as a non-lossy format, which puts JPG right out of the picture. Use TGA or better these days PNG.

B

johnnyh66
09-21-2004, 08:09 AM
I always use .tif (although .png's are a smaller file size). Use 32 bit if you want to have an alpha channel, 24 bits if not. The extra 8 bits are the alpha channel.
Then I compile them in After Effects or other app) and render to .avi or .mov...

Chris McDonell
09-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Is there any advantage to using LW vs Aura to compile the images into an animation? I've been using Aura with resonable results.

druitre
09-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Simple rules of thumb... and very generally followed guidelines in creation of digital visual content (or whatever you'd call it):

1. always save out renders in a noncompressed sequential image format. 24bits (tga, tiff, psd, bmp) is for most applications good enough, use .hdr of .rla if you need more bitinformation (for instance, when shooting to film). Additionally, for compositing purposes, use 32-bit or save alpha out separately.
Never use animationformats. working with sequences gives you the opportunity to re-render individual frames afterwards if you need to, or to render separate buffers where you need them.

2. there is not a compositing software in the world that cannot load one of these formats and save it out too. do everything you do in a noncompressed format. this way, you can copy and process your work without losing any quality.

3. when done with your project, save out as an animation. most of the time, you'd save one for your own archives in a lossless format, such as uncompressed avi or quicktime.

4. after that, whatever you do is up to you. save as a heavily compressed DivX to put on the web, it doesn't matter 'cause you'll always have your 'perfect' original.

If you don't own a compositing software, you can convert image sequences into animations and back with free software like TEMPGenc or Virtualdub. This also works a LOT faster than using LW or Aura for this purpose.

Good luck!

jefeb
09-22-2004, 02:29 AM
Why will LW not see any of my stored .avi files when I try to load them into the image editor?

djlithium
09-22-2004, 02:56 AM
Why will LW not see any of my stored .avi files when I try to load them into the image editor?
Because in lightwave's mind its not an image type. If you choose "any file" as a type it should come up provide it does not use any funky compression codecs like divx because lightwave cannot or rather does not call for any direct show filters to decompress it. From here when you load it into the image editor you should be able to scrub it back and forth to some degree.

jefeb
09-22-2004, 03:27 AM
So, say I need to change a few frames after a render, I save the amended frames to the same folder as the original, and the image numbers are determined by the frame #, correct? do I have to remove old frames or will it over write?
Thank you all for the help. this is fun

BeeVee
09-22-2004, 03:36 AM
If you do a new F10 render, and you are using LightWave [8], you can use an arbitrary frame range. This means that if you have a 100-frame animation and you want to rerender frames 17, 23 and 72, you can specify those frames exactly in the Render Options window, then hit F10 and the frames with those numbers will be overwritten by your new ones.

B