PDA

View Full Version : Polygon with hole

zyhsu
09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi!

1. When I transfer a illustrator file (polygon with hole)(I use AI 8.0 file) into lightwave, it become two seperate polygon, I hve to drill it into a polgon with hole.
Even if I open the option "Auto drill axis", it is not working! What I do wrong?

2. When Lightwave handle a polygon with hole, it always have a cutting edge on top of the polygon, Is it possible to eliminate this edge?(like Maya which can handle polygon with hole?)

Thanks!

Silkrooster
09-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Since I never had the chance to import vector images, I had to test this out and see what happens. For this I used Corel Draw and exported the image using eps.
What I found was that if I created two circles Outer one black and the inner one white and combined them. Lightwave did not interpret the circle correctly. I ended up with one circle.
Next I created a large black circle and a small red circle and left them alone. and exported the two circles. Lightwave then imported the larger black circle with a hole in the middle.
By the way in the first instance I also tried using the ai format ver 7 and I ended up with a half a hole in the center. I did not try the second instance with the ai format.
Hope this helps.
Silk

zyhsu
09-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks Silkrooster!
its a big help!

Silkrooster
09-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Did that take care of your second question as well. I wasn't really sure what you meant. Just taking a wild stab at it. Perhaps when your importing the vector file you have it set to closed polygons & polylines. Try changing this to closed polygons. Unless you need the polylines for something it is extra data being created. I am thinking that the polylines are what your seeing. Like I said just a wild stab.
Silk

John Fornasar
09-18-2004, 11:39 PM
When Lightwave handle a polygon with hole, it always have a cutting edge on top of the polygon, Is it possible to eliminate this edge?(like Maya which can handle polygon with hole?)

No, you can't have a polygon with a "hole", they are always solid objects.
Don't worry, this "cutting edge" won't appear in your renders.