PDA

View Full Version : Coruscant building

MacDude
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
I did this mainly as an exercise. I wanted to see if I could create the scale of the original taken from The Phantom Menace.

This still took 8 hours to render and then some messing around in Photoshop.

http://www.inf.brad.ac.uk/~artaylor/Gfx/LowRes/Corusant%20Building.jpg

Once this image was rendered I front projected it onto the whole scene, crancked up the luminosity, lowered the diffuse, turned off all the lights and slowly moved the camera in over 4 seconds. Hey presto. A nice push-in animation and only 23 seconds a frame! (ok so I had to be really careful where I moved the camera but you can't tell it front projected)

Regards

Alan

P.S. I go one of my piccy's in the gallery...
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=0

riki
09-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Looks good , but I think it still needs something to convey a sense of scale.

veljko
09-18-2004, 04:53 AM
a agree with riki
looks cool but it needs some poeple or a vehicle of some sort or something like that so that the scale can be shown- this way i got a "model" feel rather then a real thing look-

hope this helps!

roberthurt
09-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Very cool modeling... however I think the depth of field you're using makes it look more like a model. Real cameras would be focused effectively at infinity for that shot, so the background should be sharp. Distance and depth can be conveyed with a little fog.

Otherwise, having vehicles in the foreground and background may help a lot as already suggested!

mattclary
09-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Ditto what roberthurt said, depth of field shouldn't be used at this scale.

adrian
09-20-2004, 01:00 AM
... but the front buildings are awesome!!

Adrian.

starbase1
09-20-2004, 05:40 AM
Nice detailing on the main building, good subdued use of colour.

I agree about the depth of field, its a great way to make things look tiny!

One suggestion - how about adding something thats more recognicable in size, such as a helicopter like vehicle parked on the roof? You could also then add a really tiny figure beside it, to emphasize the scale!

Nick

Incidentally, if people are into this kind of stuff, I can strongly recommend the 'dystopia' building sets - the first 20 blocks are free, and they are great for this kind of scene. They veer towards the low poly end of the scale, but this does mean you can make a huge city without astronomical rendering times. It's all on the Renderosity site...

glassefx
09-20-2004, 09:05 AM
I personally think that the actual modeled scale, how far the lights are away from the lit object, and the character of the light effects the overall perceived scale...

Try this - Whatever your main key light is colored, make the back light, and/or background lighting the keys complimentary color. I forget what its called (scientific name) but our mind (when we see things) imagines this color in the shadows and forcing it makes the perceived depth more so. Set painters use this technique in hollywood to create more of a sense of depth. Also, things become less saturated (more grey) as they move into the background.

For example, If your main light is a moon (yellowish-white) the complimentary color would be a purple. I think using the RGB color model it would be at perfectly opposite the keys color. I think this phenomenom is called persisitance of light or something?

Great work!

l. a. akira
09-20-2004, 12:32 PM
I agree with the previous posts. Add some more tiny details to convey a better sense of scale.

MacDude
09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all your C & C's

I finished this image a few months ago and looking back and reading your posts I think you're all right. More detail and people and ships and stuff. And less DOF.

All the fog, DOF and colour adujstments where done in Photoshop so changing them is no drama.

Thanks again.