PDA

View Full Version : A zombie relaxing on his grave!!

lardbros
09-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post to the Finished forum, not that i've never finished anything before but because i've felt nothing has been good enough really!!!

Anyway, im submitting a short film i've made to a film festival in the North of England and i need to submit three high-res stills for print and advertising stuff!

Here's one of them, it's not a still taken from the film but a kind of publicity shot (if that makes sense?)

Hope you like it.... oh and any crits are very welcome, been wondering about using photoshop to mess around with the depth of field or anything??

Thanks in advance!! :D

(just updated the image, increased the contrast quite a bit... seems alot darker when i saw it again)

lardbros
09-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Uh Oh!! I'm thinking no replies coz of two reasons!!?? It's rubbish (please god, NOOOO), or noone can crit? (which i cant believe... it needs something doing, but i don't quite know what!)

What is a reasonable size for print work aswell? I've rendered this and the other stills at around 3000, in the width or height, not sure what they really have to be, but these sizes certainly take there toll on the PC's!!

CRITS PLEEEEASE! I beg of you!!

shaol
09-17-2004, 10:26 AM
zombie or alien?

MrKnight
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
VERY NICE! I like it!
It has a creepy feel to it. Good job!

The only thing I would crit is that there is somthing missing. I don't know exactly what.

I know trees are difficult to model, but maybe some pics of some scary trees in the background. And the gravestone needs some writing on it.

But again, Good Job!

Jim_C
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I like it.

From a balance point of view, since I know practically zilch about modeling,
I would have off-centered the moon slightly to the left or right.
It is so large being dead center above the alien zombie brings all your focus to the center but you do not know which one to look at.

Kind of overpowers the importance of the alien zombie.

Nice pose on the alien zombie also.

Jim

lardbros
09-17-2004, 12:18 PM
shaol:
I agree with the zombie or alien thing..... but it's supposed to be a zombie! Admittedly not too clear, but no chance to remodel him now!

Mr.Knight:
I have the exact same feeling too, i think ur probably right about the missing trees, and could easily just add some cardboard cutouts in the background!

Jim_C:
I think i may start to refer to him as AlienZombie too!! lol
Yeah my friend said the same thing about the actual composition and guess i should have listened!! It is overpowering with the moon in the same plane as the AlienZombie!!

and as for the writing.. he's actually sat on the back of the grave, the writing (and the grave hole) is on the other side and kinda gives away the story really!

Thanks for the crits guys!! I'll have a mess around to see what i can do with it!!

Cheers

veljko
09-18-2004, 04:46 AM
i like the image- nice atmosphere!
the feet are a bit flat- not the leg but just the feet, and are odly positioned-

otherwise cool work!
:)

Mike Borjon
09-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Overall pretty good work. My only critique at this point is the lack of a more interesting background, something other than the moon to establish presence and or scale.

Nicely lit though. Keep us updated.

Mike

LaughingVulcan
09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
shaol:
I agree with the zombie or alien thing..... but it's supposed to be a zombie! Admittedly not too clear, but no chance to remodel him now!

You should add a decrepit metal sign on the side reading "Area 51 Graveyard", or somesuch.

You now have a logical reason for a zombie alien... :)

lardbros
09-22-2004, 06:37 AM
DA MN GOOD idea about the "area 51" sign!! but JUST realised the final entry date for the Animation festival is the first of next month!! Wont even have time to alter a thing now, so this'll have to do! It's only a publicity still really, and i'm sending another two with it, in which he does look more zombified!

Kinda thinking the problem with him looking like an alien is the yellow lighting frm the lantern, kinda ruins the work i did on making his skin look dead and mouldy!!

Oh well, i'll post a still from the animation.... hopefully you'll think he looks more like a zombie in the actual film?

I may mess around with it despite having sent it off already! That area 51 sign seems like a really good idea, or something similar anyway! Cheers!

veljko
09-22-2004, 02:00 PM
great stills- looking forward to the anim:)

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
yup!!very cool!! ;)

bcicio
09-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Just throwing in my 2 cents... You might want to weather that gravestone a little and toss in a few chips in its edges.

Avebeno
09-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Very Cool!

I like the look on his face.

A couple of suggestions.... Love the moon centered above him with the direct backlighting on the head and shoulders. Would a volumetric lighting shadow cast from the moon help this look?

Try using another errie color in the lamp. Green is nice and unnatural... a nice warm amber maybe. Right now it looks like it has a halogen lamp in there.

OK - Even more extreme, what if the moon had an amber glow, was lower on the horizon and huge behind him?

- Ben

lardbros
09-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Cool suggestions!! I've decided to work on this more and to create more of a decent composition... all i had to play with before were the objects i made for the actual animation and didnt have much time to create anything substantial really!

You're defo right about the lantern... it looks too warm and friendly! A nice cool blue colour may be nice!? The animation is more of a horror/with a comedy twist!
It's called "Things That go Dump in the Night" Not hard to guess what it's about! :)

I'll post some more soon!

etobiason
09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I remember when you started this project, it seems like ages ago...did you ever post the finished product? Is it online some-a-wheres? I'd like to see how it came out.

-e

lardbros
10-01-2004, 02:04 PM
:) It was ages ago... but it's only now that the festival at my uni accepts entries!
I wish i could post it online really, but my bandwidth kinda won't let me, and get cut off every 2 hrs aswell! Its a 3 minute animation and i started all the pre-production last November, go it finished by april, but also had to write a 10,000 word report! To be honest, im not too pleased with the animation, and could do a whole lot better now, knowing what ive learned, but it's more about the story and i wanted to build a decent environment rather than concentrate on character animation!

I was REALLY lucky too, my reader for my dissertation was the only tutor at the uni that used Lightwave... he's lightwave crazy too! Lucky me really! :)

Maybe i'll post the anim, only prob is it's on DVD and looks better with the nice clarity especially for the grass... looks all clean and sharp!

etobiason
10-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, best of luck at the festival. Post here if ever there's a venue for viewing.

-e

lardbros
10-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry for not having it up the internet again... but here's a comic strip type run through of it! The grave at the end says Thomas Crapper by the way, just incase u cant see it!

Comments would be great by the way! :D

etobiason
10-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Hah ha....! That looks great. Hilarious. I remember the fence from when you first started the project. Everything looks great. Thanks for posting it.

-e

Capel
10-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Dude, lighting and textures are phenominal! Definately the strongest areas.

nice work.

lardbros
10-02-2004, 03:29 AM
WOW.... THANKS CAPEL!!

Comments like that, i wasn't expecting, especially from the person whose reel i downloaded and was thinking about quitting the 3d animation job search! :confused:

I wouldn't say "phenominal", but they did take me a while to tweak until they were right! It's a shame the actual animation coulda been much better... just didn't have enough time in the end! :(

Thanks SO much for the comments!!