PDA

View Full Version : '57 Harley

jayd_21
09-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Heres a 1957 Harley created several years ago in LW 5, rendered in LW 8

StrongBad
09-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi Jayd_21,
Love the background. I do think the bike looks a little flat. I believe a little specularity would do wonders, especially on the red painted parts. Also the wheel rims and exhaust-pipe could use a little chroming-up. Other than that, I like it.
I miss having a motorcycle...
Brian
Hot Carl Productions

veljko
09-18-2004, 09:05 AM
it's realy difficult to appreciate the bike in such a small render, do u have something bigger?:)

jayd_21
09-18-2004, 12:30 PM
The original model was created with a low polygon count, some objects did not subdivide correctly, not sure its worth fixing them.

rexnoctu
09-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Not to bad, ton of minor errors on the bike and I don't think anyone would be fooled into thinking it is a photo. The bike stands out way to crisp compared to the rest of the pic. But all in all a good atempt.

jayd_21
09-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Tons of errors, please point them out. Everything in the background is organic with soft edges, the bike should be crisp hard edges.

jayd_21
09-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Heres a photo of a Harley, if anything my renedring is not crisp enough. It's also missing the sky refelections on the tank and feners.

~DD~Apocalypse
09-24-2004, 02:04 PM
very cool =D

rexnoctu
09-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Tons of errors, please point them out. Everything in the background is organic with soft edges, the bike should be crisp hard edges.

Ok letís just look at the back end since it is the side you chose to bring to the foreground. Not enough spokes in the wheel, to small drive sprocket and brake drum, rear fender mount stops shot, shock attachment wrong, taillight wrong, fender tip doesn't flare, fender mounting rails are to thin and don't taper, no license plate mount. If you post a couple of other angels I will keep going.
That is a great photo of a Harley you posted, but it is a big twin not even the model you did, here is a reference pic of the model you posted a shot of.
And before you get yourself to worked up and start arguing you should know that I have a 58 Harley sitting in my garage and am a factory certified mechanic who has been working on them for over 15 years.
BTW That wall doesn't look to organic.

jayd_21
09-24-2004, 09:03 PM
This model was created 9 years ago as a modeling test, not as an exact copy. I only had one small 3/4 view image to work from. It would be great to fix the modeling mistakes and the accuracy of the model, it's just not worth it. I set this render up just for fun, and to test LW 8 render times/quality.

lardbros
09-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Calm down rexnoctu... no need to be so facecious, i know you do ask for crits if you say something like "Tons of errors please point them out" but let them down gently!! lol

rexnoctu
09-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Calm down rexnoctu... no need to be so facecious, i know you do ask for crits if you say something like "Tons of errors please point them out" but let them down gently!! lol
Heck I though I was taking it easy on him by only doing a one inch or so section of the model. I guess if this was the WIP section, or if he would have said, "Here is a motorcycle that I did a couple of years ago." I would have had many fewer issues. But I guess I thought when he said it was 'x' it should look as much like 'x' as possable.

jayd_21
09-27-2004, 08:26 AM
I just recently joined the Newtek Forum and I've noticed that most of the negative comments are made by the ones with least amount of experience. rexnoctu, please let me know when you post an image worthy of an opinion.

rexnoctu
09-27-2004, 09:34 AM
I just recently joined the Newtek Forum and I've noticed that most of the negative comments are made by the ones with least amount of experience. rexnoctu, please let me know when you post an image worthy of an opinion.
Actually I have posted several photos and taken both good and the bad critiques on them. I guess I just post pictures that aren't done to the WIP forum rather than the finished forum. I'm not to sure what you saw as negative, if you didn't want hear what was wrong with your model you shouldn't have asked me tell you what the issues where. Maybe next time you should say something like, "No bad things please, only tell me how good my picture looks."
Sorry if I hurt you feelings, but if you post an inaccurate model I am going to call you on it, especially when you basically dare me to point out the inaccuracies. Don't want to hear it, don't post it in a public place, or make sure it is right before you do.

richdj
09-27-2004, 09:50 AM
if he would have said, "Here is a motorcycle that I did a couple of years ago." I would have had many fewer issues.
Opening line of the thread "Heres a 1957 Harley created several years ago in LW 5, rendered in LW 8"

rexnoctu: Harleys are, by nature changed cosmetically or mechanically... Making it an individual bike to fit the owner. So the original pic that was used may well have been competely different to the one you provided. It's a shame that you appear aggressive in your delivery, as it is this kind of response that put's off some members, myself included, from posting for C&C's...

Jayd_21: I like the bike.. It might have been better to put this in the WIP section, and stated what you were looking to achieve, i.e: the model / composite / textures etc.. Anyway, lets see some more...

Cheers

Rich

rexnoctu
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Opening line of the thread "Heres a 1957 Harley created several years ago in LW 5, rendered in LW 8"

rexnoctu: Harleys are, by nature changed cosmetically or mechanically... Making it an individual bike to fit the owner. So the original pic that was used may well have been competely different to the one you provided. It's a shame that you appear aggressive in your delivery, as it is this kind of response that put's off some members, myself included, from posting for C&C's...

Jayd_21: I like the bike.. It might have been better to put this in the WIP section, and stated what you were looking to achieve, i.e: the model / composite / textures etc.. Anyway, lets see some more...

Cheers

Rich

And by saying that, he specified that he wanted to create a 1957 Harley, which I then pointed out wasn't an accurate model. To reiterate had he said a '57 custom Harley there would have been a couple of less errors. For the most part the ones I pointed out would have made the bike unworkable. Not to many people mechanically change their bike into something that isn't ridable.
As a lifelong lover of Harleys I get excited whenever I see one, so I guess maybe the letdowns in this image may have made my post a little more aggressive then I meant. It really is a good start, but it really is only a start.

jayd_21
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
When is a model, animation, or image ever finished. I've never been completely satisfied with anything, at some point its just not worth spending any more time on. The model used in the image is full of modeling errors, and not worth spending any more time on, thats why its in the Finished section. rexnoctu, I've seen the images that you posted, as I said, let me know when you post something worthy of an opinion.