PDA

View Full Version : VT3 vs Avid MC Round 1

Gary Robinson
09-16-2004, 05:11 PM
After several years of editing for 8 hours a day on an Avid Media Composer, I finally edited some client projects on my 2 VT 3s (I have previously done mainly demo reels and personal projects) . So if anyone is interested in differences between the two, here are some of my experiences. One of the projects was a presentation with oversized stills mixed with stock footage and titles. The multilayered stills panned perfectly, in realtime. Revisions were instant. Q and W were invaluable to go to the start and end of the clips for keyframing. I couldn’t have done this project nearly as well in an Avid MC because it doesn’t handle oversized stills. I would have had to do the moves in a paint program like Aura. The VT 3 worked great, although TED doesn’t animate text z-moves perfectly smoothly, so I needed to render some text moves in Aura. The next trailer was for a DVD distribution company. I had to screen about 40 dvds, and create a presentation. I found the clips to be a little easier to organize in an MC although it’s not a fair comparison, because the MC I use has 2 19 inch monitors while my downstairs VT 3 (I have one downstairs so my dog doesn’t come upstairs and chew all the cables) had only a 14 inch monitor. Also, I‘m sure there are some techniques in VT 3 I‘m not aware of to type longer notes in. The MC seams to be a little quicker for renaming and logging. After all of the screening was done, I edited a 5 section 7 minute fast paced MTV style presentation roughcut in one night using the cut to markers feature. I think this would have taken days using Avid’s 3 point editing. If you organize your shots with good start points, use the cut to markers feature, and then tweak awkward edits, you can make montages really quickly using VT 3. The graphics layering on the VT was great. Nothing required rendering. I render at least 30 minutes per day on many of my Avid projects and this graphics intensive trailer required almost no rendering. When I stacked and animated several logos simultaneously, there was still no rendering required. Fixes were also easy with the inherit feature. I do prefer the Avid titler though. In VT 3, I’d like to click on a title and modify it without leaving TED. Can this be done? Also, I think I found a bug in the titler where I would clone some titles to make new ones, and back in my VT project, some of the titles had moved to other title locations possibly because of some kind of renaming convention. Using inherit once again to fix those was quick and easy because all titles had moves. I used Lightwave to extrude and animate the company logo. I even used a Lightwave tutorial from Newtek.com to add a flare. One feature I would really like is a way to take bitmap graphics to convert to Lightwave objects instead of always using eps files. Another great feature of the VT3 is how quickly it renders out uncompressed rtv files. This opens up all kinds of workflow improvements and backup options. Is there a way to quickly select an in and out point on the timeline to render? I guess you can just drag a sub clip to a file bin and render out that way otherwise. On the Avid, most uncompressed video formats render out really slowly. Another great thing about the VT 3 is how you can keep working while the timeline's playing. On the MC, when videos playing or you're rending, you can't do a thing. With the exception of the lack of edl export which I think is really needed, the VT3 is an outstanding creative editing system. I can’t wait to see what Newtek comes up with next.

Thanks,
Gary R.
Promo Producer:
Ripley's Believe It Or Not, TV Guide Channel
www.sharpcut.com "All Streaming All the Time"

UnCommonGrafx
09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Great read!
To do this, grab any clip, placing it above the section you want to cut out/render. Select it then right mouse over it and select "Render selected range" or some such thing. Done. {Your stack should cover this clip such that you don't have to worry about it showing through.}

Is there a way to quickly select an in and out point on the timeline to render? I guess you can just drag a sub clip to a file bin and render out that way otherwise.

Thanks,
Gary R.
Promo Producer:
Ripley's Believe It Or Not, TV Guide Channel
www.sharpcut.com "All Streaming All the Time"

pnelson
09-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Great info!

We are excited to have you in the NewTek family!

See ya,

Paul Lara
09-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Hey, good to hear from you again, Gary.
Thanks for the detailed, and very pleasing comparison.

Gary Robinson
09-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi guys. I posted a revised version of the video temporarily at www.sharpcut.com/showcase.html if anyone wants to check it out.

radams
10-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi Gary,

Is there a way to quickly select an in and out point on the timeline to render?

Yes there is...I keep an empty still...which I can then drag and drop and stretchout to what ever I need or work on ..so I can use it for playback sections or render sections...just have it as an overlay..or underneath...This also works great in Aura..to playback short cut up layers sequences using this empty layer...

Cheers,

radams
10-09-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey Gary,

GO check out Bob Tasa's LWconnect...

It allows you to put layers from TEDs timeline right into LW and have a place holder back in TED...thus allowing you to do anything with them...So any FX plus overlays, hypervoxels, particles.etc...imagine the power this gives you...right on thru TED...also the new VT4 gives you CG on the timeline now :)

Yepee

Cheers,

Gary Robinson
10-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm keeping an eye on all of the exciting developments.