PDA

View Full Version : Finished walk cycle

NigelH
09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Full res walk cycle (http://www.nigelanimation.com/Katya/walk_cycle.htm)

For those who had followed this in the WIP forum:

cloth thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=28081)

...you know it's more about the cloth than the walk (though I'm pretty happy with the walk too).

The cloth in this version took altogether too long to calculate (5 hrs), but I have since refined my settings to get me (almost) there in a LOT less time - with some tweaking required.

Stormrazor
09-16-2004, 04:59 PM
very good work. I see nothing to improve on, except her phone number. LOL

mgreenway
09-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Wonderful!
Thanks for the inspiration.

The_Eye
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
This is VERY cool. I just read through the cloth WIP thread. 5 hours.... :(

Boy, I have nothing but questions about the other tests on the site, seeing as I'm pretty clueless when it comes to high end character animation. The aerobic one is cool, but her boobs seem, as the say on South Park, "all hard and oogy".

NigelH
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Glad you like it! It's been long hard road, but time well spent, I think.

I think I have to post a disclaimer on behalf of Newtek regarding the 5hr calculation time.

While the cloth effects solver could absolutely benefit from being a tad quicker (understatement), I think I did mention (quite specifically, in the WIP forum), that after playing with my settings, I was able to get close to the same quality in a LOT less time (an hour and a half is the record so far for 'finished' quality on this particular scene).

I could, of course, make it calculate much faster, but then I'd spend almost the same amount of hours cleaning up the relatively higher number of interpenetrations. The 'skin-tight' quality of the dress is also a factor that made a high subdidvision level a necessity for the sake of accuracy. A normal, loose fitting skirt would most likely calculate MUCH faster.

I'm actually quite happy with the power of LW[8]'s cloth dynamics - particularly over Motion Designer, which I always found to be very flakey, but your mileage may vary.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from diving into these tools on account of my personal choices. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who can figure out how to squeeze a bit more horsepower out of the cloth dynamics engine, and when you do, drop me a line and let me know how you did it!

The aerobic one is cool, but her boobs seem, as the say on South Park, "all hard and oogy".

Well, I guess you could be right in that maybe I haven't spent quite enough time researching 'nude aerobics'. Rest assured, I'll remedy that situation as soon and as often as possible. :D