PDA

View Full Version : The entrance

otacon
09-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey all. I finally got a little bit of free time to make a quick scene. This one was done in a day and a half. Trying to go for realistic as possible, although there is some things that could use some more work. Comments appreciated!

wapangy
09-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Very Nice.
Love the wallpaper pattern.

The floor/wall area by the rug looks a little strange.

adrian
09-16-2004, 03:51 PM
LOVE IT!!! I agree about the wallpaper. Very nice.

Were you working from a photo, drawing or just built from scratch?

The plant pot & plant is a very nice touch. Did you model the plant or is it a clip-mapped object?

Adrian.

gaushell
09-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Very nice. I think the lighting needs a bit more contrast between highs and lows to get some punch.

Whit
09-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Usually I like more dramatic lighting, but in this picture, I think that calmer lighting is very nice. The whole image is sedate and balanced, the lighting works nicely with that. The patch of sunlight against the side of the stairs keeps sedate from sliding down to sleepy. Very nice.

--Whit

otacon
09-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. The lighting could have more contrast...but i think the low contrast, almost foggy lighting fits the scene.
adrian: I just came up with this on my own. I usually work off a photo, but this time i just had an idea in my head and made it. The plant is just a 2d photo mapped on a poly. Heres a wire.

The_Eye
09-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Nice. I think calmer, everyday light is harder to pull off. More subtle then creating a noir scene.

dwburman
09-17-2004, 01:30 PM
It looks great but maybe too sharp for film photoreal.

Nice job though :D

Thomas M.
09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Thumbs up! I have to agree on the contrast. It's too smooth. Especially in the foreground. If you change the lighting there, the background might be strong enough to work. What about making the foreground pretty dark, to have a kind of tunnel vision?

Cheers
Thomas

otacon
09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Darker lighting in the foreground could work. I might try making a night version of this one too.

anieves
09-17-2004, 02:35 PM
very nice, love it. otacon, the master of interiors! :)

otacon
09-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks anieves! Here is a night time shot.

jbr3d
09-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Excellent work...really like the light reflections on the wall. One thing I would like to suggest is adding more stair pickets, at least two per stair tread.
According to code, stair pickets should be spaced only a maximum of 4" apart ;) Well...you said you were going for the realistic look!! :rolleyes:

Reallly nice work!!!

ray_tracer
09-17-2004, 07:38 PM
This is a great lil' scene - I love it. And the lighting in the daylight version is very nice. But the nighttime version is wonderful. Did you use radiosity or is the indirect lighting faked?

riki
09-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Excellent work, gotta love the texturing and lighting, really make the scene.

Hervé
09-18-2004, 03:14 AM
he did it again.... this is really great ! nice lighting and texturing ! (as always.. he he) ;)

note I like the night view a bit more ;)

veljko
09-18-2004, 04:49 AM
great work!
really cool:)

how did you get the shadows in the main light that hits the stairs where the plant is?

great trick with the plant image on a poly- real slick!:)

miso popovic
09-18-2004, 09:11 AM
that look's realy cool, great work!

Mike Borjon
09-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Excellent work for such a short time frame. I actually didn’t mind the sudtle lighting in the first render but the second render with dramatic change sets such a good mood.

Mike

otacon
09-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks. I used interpolated radiosity for the lighting, same settings as always. There is an area light right above the stairs, and one behind the camera. Then i have a few point lights to give some specular highlights on certain objects. The shadows that are being cast around the plant are from a single poly right outside the window that has a shadow map of a tree on it. I'll post the light setup if anyones interested.

The_Eye
09-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I'm interested. Who wouldn't be interested?

otacon
09-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Heres the lighting setup. The two area lights are the only lights inside that cast shadows, everything else affects specular only. Render time was about 40min.

l. a. akira
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Looks very cool. The wallpaper and patterns help the scene alot. :)

veljko
09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
when you say "has a shadow map of a tree"- thats just a clipmap of a tree, right? or im missing out on "shadow maps" and dont know what they are?
thx-!

otacon
09-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Yea, just a black and white clip map.

etobiason
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Superb.

--------------------------

-e

monovich
09-21-2004, 04:22 PM
This really is a great scene. Really really really nice.

It's hard to say anything less than glowing about it. In the first lighting setup, though, it just struck me as too perfect on the first hit, even before I read anything else. I think the sedate lighting is nice, but when in the real world is there ever lighting as even as that? Instead of sedate, it just hit me a little flat.

Also, the texturing is better than anything I could do, but it also strikes me as a little too even. Maybe some wear on the carpet/wood in the entryway like you'd see in a spot that traffic funnels through, or some distressing in the floorboards or moulding.

Maybe add some tiny hits of specular on the higher gloss surfaces like the table and the edges of the stairs to add a little magical mood to it?

I feel like an *** for saying all that, though. It is really nice.

banjaxed
09-22-2004, 05:26 AM
Awesome dude.

I could b wrong but the stair rail looks too low. It looks about knee height.

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 04:54 PM
really impressive!I'm usually for dirty texturing and the like, but I must admit that this is really well done, and much photorealistic! the night version is also very good! gotta try one of this clean renders sooner or later! :D