PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Update Downloads and Safari ???

Miles
09-16-2004, 01:56 AM
I had a hard drive failure on my Mac, so I'm reinstalling apps and downloading updates. Anyone else having a PITA time of getting the PDF manual and 8.0.1 updates via the user registered downloads page?

Every time I click on each of the provided links a new window opens and tries to access the FTP address, hangs, then an error message comes up. The page says if the file doesn't start to download to refresh the page and the same BS... :mad: I'm using the latest OSX and Safari so I thought I'd ask here.

Also, anyone know why the downloads page doesn't provide the UVEdit Pro installers to download that was a bonus to the LW8 upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may render...

noiseboy
09-16-2004, 02:51 AM
worked fine here, I dont recall any problems with d/l via safari, but then it was via newtek-europe. Since you mention FTP maybe your firewall was blocking the download...just a thought

jdavidbakr
09-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I've had problems with Safari and an ftp: address, I don't know how common it is but I can never download any link in Safari with ftp://... I have to jump to IE to get it to even connect, or go to an FTP app and navigate to the folder for the download.

noiseboy
09-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Safari doesn't ftp downloads, it lets the system do it. if for example you go to ftp://ftp.newtek.com then the server appears in the network section of your finder window and you can navigate around the server from there. In fact just select "connect to server" from the finder menu and paste the ftp address, gets you to the same place and some more...

Miles
09-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Safari doesn't ftp downloads, it lets the system do it. if for example you go to ftp://ftp.newtek.com then the server appears in the network section of your finder window and you can navigate around the server from there. In fact just select "connect to server" from the finder menu and paste the ftp address, gets you to the same place and some more...FWIW, I have DLed stuff via the very method you noted above at that same ftp address, BUT the ftp address for the PDF manual and 8.0.1 updates is different and when trying to get them via that address it pops up a security window asking for a password, which I don't have. Fair enough, since it is suppose to be files for registered users of the app only, but when the browser linked access points aren't working then not being able to connect directly to the ftp location via an ftp app (built into OSX) has become, well, a PITA...

I'm not sure why IF it's an FTP firewall setting issue that I'm able to DL files via the same ftp address noted above, but not able to where these updates and manual are located.

Anyway, again, thanks for the input... Maybe I'm missing the instructions on what magic words to say when trying to get them to DL, because "Open Sesame!" sure as H*LL is not working... :rolleyes:

jdavidbakr
09-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey, Miles,

Did you ever get the download to work? I just started trying, the second window opens and then just sits there. Same action in IE. Nothing seems to download at all. Just wondering if you found the solution? I'm on a router, so that might be masking the IP address that it needs...

Miles
09-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey, Miles,

Did you ever get the download to work? I just started trying, the second window opens and then just sits there. Same action in IE. Nothing seems to download at all. Just wondering if you found the solution? I'm on a router, so that might be masking the IP address that it needs...Hi Jon, In short YES I sorted out how to deal with it and I PMed you with steps taken here. Nuts (PITA) really that it came to having to figure it out this way, but nonetheless I am now able to DL the files needed.

BTW, FWIW, I went so far as to disable all FTP FireWall settings to see if that was the problem and it still did not work via NT's User Registered DL page/popup window so maybe NT needs to have a look into this for OSX users... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope that works for you to and helps out there...

Best,

Miles :cool: