PDA

View Full Version : New to 3D

norview
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
After months of thorough research, I've finally decided to order LW8 :D and now I'm lookin' for the ideal Apple computer. I'm assuming the top of the line one (i.e. G5, 2.5 GHz, 160GB, 512 SDRAM, ATI Radeon graphics card...) is the one to go with. Now the question is, how much SDRAM should I get? LW recommends 1gig, but should I get more? And as far as graphics cards are concerned, should I stay with the latest ATI Radeon or opt for the latest NVIDIA Gforce card? Any other advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

marble_sheep
09-15-2004, 09:44 PM
get as much ram as possible... I have 4.5 gigs at work, and it's great. I would say at the least get 2 gigs. The G5 chip is crippled by anything less.

As far as graphics cards... they all suck. At least as far as Lightwave is concerned. Apple really, really needs to come out with a "pro" card. I think, however, that the ATI cards have more problems than the NVIDIA ones, dealing with OpenGL and crap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I've only had experience with ATI.

Hervé
09-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Buy a PC....

.... that is if you want to go pro in 3D (where is Beam to kill me...) many plugins and apps are still PC only, and all graphic cards suKK... and it is very expensive...

Note if you can... get a PC and a MAc...

the best. Period !
http://www.boxxtechnologies.com/asp/1workstations.asp

and I am sure Proton is OK with me ! (and also the pros are OK with me... he he) :D

Now go ON, spit on me !

marble_sheep
09-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Good point Herve. As much as I love Mac, if all you do is 3D then yes a PC would be better. However, he (or she) mentioned that they specifically want a Mac. This made me think there had to have been some reason behind it. For example, I also do video editing and motion graphics. There is no way in hell I'd use a PC for that stuff. I could tolerate Winblows for 3D and that's about it.

So, yes, if all you do is 3D then I guess a PC would be best. But if you do anything else, keep considering the Mac :D

norview
09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks all for the info, most helpful :) . Sounds like NVIDIA is the lesser of two evils...

I actually have the best of both worlds at the moment, with a PC at work and a Mac (life long user) for home.

One more question...how about Apples flat panel monitors (as well as flat panels in general)? Is the technology there? Or are CRTs still the way to go?

Currently I use a LaCie 20in CRT monitor. Stick with it? I'd really love to get Apples 30in display :cool: Oh the money I'll be spending! :eek:

marble_sheep
09-16-2004, 09:37 AM
If you can afford it, the Apple displays do look really, really nice. They are undoubtedly some of the best on the market. CRT's are still better for print work and graphic design, but not by much anymore, with as far as LCD technology has come. LCD's are also a lot easier on your eyes! :cool:

Hervé
09-16-2004, 11:39 PM
what about the HDR monitors they were talking some time ago.... ? ;) I think at Sig2004...?