PDA

View Full Version : Video Toaster and Sync

Airness1
09-14-2004, 11:02 PM
I have a video toaster with version 3.1 on my Amiga A2000.
I have a DPS TBC III installed along with the digital creations kitchen sync.
What I want to do is sync three camcorders to the video toaster to use for live switching. Can someone help me so that I get not sync problems in my preview and porgram out's. I do not have a VTR or anything like that. Just three mini DV camcorders. Is what i am trying to do even possible with my video toaster. Please let me know. Please describe as if it was video toaster for dummies because I am rather new to this Amiga world. Thank you in advance for any hep that is given to me.

rcfreas
09-15-2004, 09:30 PM
You will need a few TBCs to live switch cameras. Check out the manual for the proper wiring diagrams.

wilebill
09-16-2004, 02:24 PM
If all you're wanting to do is to switch 3 cameras (not tapes playing from the cameras), then you'll need 2 TBCs with genlock capabilities.

I'm not at all familiar with the Kitchen Syncs since I've never owned one, so I don't know if they are capable of this or not, or if they are, how to do it. But I assume that they're similar to the DPS TBCs so I can tell you how to do it with them.

Plug Cam1's output into "genlock in" on TBC1. Plug "genlock out" from TBC1 into Input 1 of the Toaster. This gives you Cam1 output to the Toaster and times TBC1 to Cam1's signal.

Plug Cam2's output into "video in" on TBC1. Plug "video out" on TBC1 into "genlock in" on TBC2. Plug "genlock out" on TBC2 into Input 2 of the Toaster. Cam2's output has been synced to Cam1 while the signal is inside TBC1, so it passes that sync to TBC2, and goes to the Toaster via another output.

Plug Cam3's output into "video in" on TBC2. Plug '"video out" on TBC2 into Toaster's Input 3.

The same thing can be accomplished without a "genlock out" port by using a BNC T connector. This is how it's done with the DPS TBCIV.

Chris McDonell
09-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Sounds similar to my Toaster/Flyer setup. I have an Amiga 2000 with a DPS par and a TBC IV, and a Kitchen Sync dual TBC. I did get the genlock option for the Kitchen sync. If you don't have the genlock option installed on the Kitchen Sync, the way to sync three camcorders would be to feed one of the Kitchen Sync outputs into the genlock input of the TBC III. (I think a TBC III has genlock in?)

At this point, it's a good idea to feed color bars into each TBC input and make sure they look the same on the output side. If you don't have a color bar generator, just point a camera at some well lit primary colors and adjust each TBC till the output matches the input. (This is where having a vectorscope and a color bar generator is very handy)

On my last live switch a few weeks ago I created an interesting problem for myself. I had three cameras plugged into a TBC IV and a Kitchen Sync that were synced together with a black burst generator. Two of the monitors I was using had hi-Z video feedthroughs, but the third didn't, so I unterminated input three of my Toaster/Flyer and then T-eed the feed to the monitor. Two week later, I'm editing the footage and to my annoyance, the Flyer playback is alternately bright and dim with every other clip. I re-auto-hued and flyer calibrated three times and it still had the problem. Then I remembered to check the termination. (DUH!) :confused:

Hope this helps.