PDA

View Full Version : TED Dead in water HELP!

fotomoto
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
I have basically finished a 17min photo montage piece with about 200 jpegs. TED has been running fine until I add some CG's. Started doing some unusal things but I just closed it and rebooted.

Then, on final playback before dumping to tape, TED froze at 14 min. into the playback but no where near a CG. All buttons dead. Can't get out cleanly and, more importantly, TED won't open completely. Tried both restarts and cold boots but no green light, playback is still frozen at 14 min, and my boot drive light never stops flickering.

VT2 build ??? (VT won't open at the moment)
Deadline is, of course, tomorrow!

HELP!

Thanks,

Doug
The weather inside the circle is always the same. 69f witha 40% chance of rain.*

*What movie is that from?

Jim_C
09-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Try deleting your cache file on your video drive if it did not reset itself and delete the newtek info folders involved in your project.

If ted restarts it will take a bit to regenrate croutons and audio for any dv clips, but that may clear it out.

How full is your video drive?

fotomoto
09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
It took about 15 min. but VT did eventually close by itself. Upon opening it again after a hard boot, it again slowly opened. I left for a "virtual smoke" and came back about 30 min later to see a green light. YEAH.

I began playing it from the 14min mark and it played fine for about another minute. Then the remaining 2min of jpegs are black. The files, audio, and transitions are still there on the edit line but no jpeg croutons.

Video array is approx 60%. I'm not using any video clips; just jpegs, audio trax, and a few CG's. A real simple project that never give me trouble. Well, until now..... :mad:

Does any of this additional info change you advice?

chribba
09-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Is it possibe for you to copy/paste steps of the montage into a new project/timeline. Take it bit by bit and see where it starts to go crazy... That might help you to figure out what couses the problem..

Chribba

fotomoto
09-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Crimony, now the whole thing has gone to crap!

Is the folder that has the undo/redo stack the one I should delete? Obviously, I've never traveled down this road before.

Jim_C
09-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Crimony, now the whole thing has gone to crap!

Is the folder that has the undo/redo stack the one I should delete? Obviously, I've never traveled down this road before.

It is a hidden folder called Newtek Info. One is created in every folder you browse to from within VT_Edit.
It is where the toaster stores the thumbnail pictures for croutons, wav audio it creates from dv clips etc.
It is harmless to delete. VT recreates everything the next time you open the folder.

When you put a DV clip on the timeline and the little stopwaych appears Tedit is creating a .wav file for the audio in the Newtek Info folder. So if you delete it, Tedit will make another, but you will have to wait for the stopwatch again.

This is not a definite fix, but it has cleared up screwey things for me before.

Also whereever you have your Cache file on your video drive, open it when VT is not on, and delete everything in it, if anything.

fotomoto
09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the help.

I never got to deleting the info files but did with the video cache. VT kept locking up so I gave up and DL'ed the last VT2 build. Installed and loaded project. Again took forever to get a green light but it did play and all the jpegs were back!

I recorded to tape for backup and it stalled at the first CG and video out went to black. hmmmm. Deleted all the cg's in the project and all is well. Played the whole thing to tape; smooth as could be.

I'm hoping new cg's from the lastest build will play happy with the project. Enough of this free OT, I'm going home.

Doug

Rich Deustachio
09-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Do NOT delete the undo/redo files. If your project gets corrupted you will need those files.

Norman
09-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Fotomoto,

You did turn 'overlay' on for all your CG clips, right?

ted
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
I might add, there is a "Render" file in the "Effects" folder. When you load your project, drag that file under everything. It might take a little while, but once it renders the project, you should be fine.

Another option is to select the entire timeline, right click and select "Render Selected" as a .rtv to your video drive. That way you won't have to wait every time you load it.
I wish you luck!!!