PDA

View Full Version : What's the best file format for print?

Thomas M.
09-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Well, I'd say .tif.

At least that's what it give the agency or printer. But if I render an image and save it as a .tif file all this floating point information is gone and I can't pull in the lights or lighten the shadows.

I just tested .hdr in combination with HDRShop and saved out several differently exposed images as .tifs from the original .hdr file. I than layer everything in Photoshop and combine these layers in different ways.

Is there another intelligent way to do this or this there a disadvantage if you use .hdr? If you have an answer, please keep in mind that I render for print and not animation (4000x4000pixel and above, if LW is in a good mood).

Cheers
Thomas

BeeVee
09-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Why not do it in LightWave? Render as you do normally then load the image back into LightWave's Image Editor. Double click on it to open it in Image ViewerFP and you'll have the HDR image in the Image Viewer. You can then use the Expose functions to adjust the image and then save out as an LDR TIFF.

B

Thomas M.
09-14-2004, 07:55 AM
And what file format would you use, if you go this way? Is there a superior one with the best colour and brightness information?

BeeVee
09-14-2004, 08:56 AM
You will need to end up with a LDR image anyway, because printers almost certainly won't want to deal with anything other than TIFFs. The Exposure step in LightWave is just to allow you to adjust your image in the same application. For saving your renders you might want to use LightWave's native FLX format as an intermediate step to retain all the HDR information.

B