PDA

View Full Version : question for mac pro guys

JML
09-13-2004, 11:24 AM
we have a PC renderfarm already configured and it works great (between PCs)
somebody at work want to use lightwave on MAC and will probably have to render on the PC renderfarm.

is there any easy way to do that?

I would prefer not to re-configure all the farm..

the ideal would be PCs and Macs rendering together on the PC renderfarm.

chrisdude0000
09-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I belive you would have it sent over the same way you would have it sent from a pc they should use the same file formats and render correctly.

stib
09-14-2004, 05:44 AM
There's a stupid bug^h^h^h feature of the way LW saves the output file path. In everything else but the output file path references to external files are cross platform: they look like:

folder/folder/folder/file
eg /content/scenes/hello.lws

But in the saveRGBImagesPrefix line, the line that tells the LWSN nodes where to render the files to it looks like

disc:folder:folder:folder:file
on a mac and
C:\\folder\folder\folder\file
on a PC

now you'd think it wouldna be hard to make the LWSN nodes smart enough to know what to do with either format, or to provide a way to tell LWSN nodes where to put the fruits of their labours, but no such luck. You give a PC render farm a scene file that has had its output file path set on a mac and they'll chug away happily rendering frames that never appear on any hard drive anywhere. Nice feature!

Without using third party render farm software you need two copies of your scene file, one for the mac and one for the X86 boxxen, with an output file path that is sane for each.

What I used to do with my mac and pc render farms is start one lot at the beginning and the other lot at the end and have them render towards each other, using two LWSN controllers.

DoF
09-14-2004, 05:59 AM
Although it is possible to set up a multiple-platform farm, there are issues concerning the different gammas of Macs & PCs respectively. Rendering a scene shared between these two platforms could conceivably cause flickering in the output movie due to the subtle gamma differences between frames. Proceed with caution and post your results.

BeeVee
09-14-2004, 07:36 AM
It's not the gamma you need to watch out for it's the fact that different processors (AMD, PowerPC and Intel) each have their own way of generating random numbers. This can affect caustics, and algorithmic textures, HyperVoxels and so on.

B

JML
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
we are only using dual xeon renderboxxes so no flickering..
I was just wondering how to have somebody on mac rendering on them...
we already own tequila scream which works great, and would prefer not to get
another controller..
I will do more research..
thanks

monovich
09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
It works fine for me cross platform, but I'm rendering a file done on the PC to a Mac render farm. I use LWSN Controller.

The gamma issue only affects the display of colors, not the actual RGB values stored in the file, so flickering won't be an issue as a result of gamma.

-s