PDA

View Full Version : Animating meta-primitives

Ditherer
09-13-2004, 07:13 AM
LW 7.5

I want to simulate cells dividing, ie one 'blob' splits into two, which then splits into two more and so on. (I really like the effect you can get with two Metaballs in Modeler; moving them ever closer causes them to fuse together in a sort-of reverse version of the effect I want).

I've tried fiddling with Metaballs using endomorphs and MorphMixer, but to no avail. Also, the manual describes 'Using Morph Targets' with metaobjects, but I can't seem to get anywhere as LW keeps reminding me about matching exact numbers of points.

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial, or suggest a way forward, perhaps using some other modelling technique? Thanks!

faulknermano
09-13-2004, 07:54 AM
i've not tried this myself at the moment:

attach weight maps to these metaball points and use bones with "use weight map only" on those points in layout.

gjjackson
09-13-2004, 08:20 AM
I would direct you to Dan Ablan at 3dgarage who has done some medical animations. He could probably assist in something as this. He's always been very helpful.

Triple G
09-14-2004, 12:10 AM
I've always found metaballs in LW to be super-flakey...they're difficult to control, and difficult to keep looking smooth. For what you're trying to do, I'd suggest using individual nulls in Layout and adding solid HVs to them.

Ditherer
09-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks all, for your responses. Frustrating, isn't it? When you can see something that you want to create really clearly in your mind's eye, and then you find yourself stumbling through lack of experience and/or unfriendly software. It's always so tempting to find some less-than-perfect route instead...

sorry, end of moan!