PDA

View Full Version : Austin Game Conference Rapup

WizCraker
09-12-2004, 06:49 PM
To start it off Climax was there showcasing Warhammer Online and the technology behind it. This is going to be one awesome game when it eventually ships. Now Before you say to me Whoa there buddy, Warhammer Online has been shelved get your facts straight. Climax never shelved Warhammer it is just suspended it according to Technical Director Rocco Loscalzo. Warhammer is two thirds finished they were there looking for investors so that they can finish it.

The theme of the conference seemed to be MMOPGs so the majority of the workshops were on that topic. The others covered topics from Hollywood in Games to Programming for the Sony PSP.

High Voltage Software was there they had some impressive life size posters of the characters from Liesure Suit Larry which will be out in October. They said they developed for an AO rating then toned it down just enough for a M rating. High Voltage did say that you would be able to download the AO version from the website. Wal-Mart and Best Buy will not be carrying the game as they it is to mature for their customers. If the game finds its way to a childs hands then it is the parents fault but that is another discussion. They also said that if after five minutes of game play that you are not laughing your a** off they did something wrong in the development.

Almost everybody there was hiring and Midway is opening a studio in Austin which is exciting. Even Tom Hall made an appearance at the Midway booth. Legendary game creator Richard Garriott was there Thursday.

Three colleges made an appearance UAT from Tempe Arizona, The Ghuildhall at SMU from Plano Texas and some Art school from San Francisco. Nokia was handing out their latest burned CDs of their development SDKs which is jammed pack of tools for developing apps for their phones and the N-Gage. Auran was there looking for programmers and showcasing their game engine. If you hit their website you will find a cool game called Bridge It.

Alias made an appearance showing off Maya 6 they even had a 1 hour workshop showing the new features along with a very brief overview of Sketchbook. Maya 6 is the most significant upgrade since version 2 and I have to agree. Anyways it has some cool features that Lightwave could benifit from such as the ability to edit a lower rez cage and have instant update on the high rez version. Not just hitting tab like in LW Modeler but as for instance on a character head you can have one side as the low poly cage and mirror a high rez version on the other. When you model in the low rez it updates on the high rez side. Very cool. Another handy feature is the ability to make a normal map from the high rez version and then have it synced to the low version and the coolest part of it is that when you make an improvement on the high rez version the normal map automatically updates to reflect the changes on the low version. Great feature which I think that LW could benifit from plus it would help with those that use LW for game development. Hypershade has also been upgraded for better workflow. Maya now supports full integration with Adobe Photoshop PSD format, so much as so that Maya will save out the respective channels along with the unwrapped UV wireframe, also a normal map can be exported as well. While Maya is opened you can open up Photoshop then open that psd file and paint your textures then save the file and Maya dynamically reloads the psd file and the texture is mapped on your object to show you instant feedback. Other features can be found from the source over at Alias.

Avid was there showing Alienbrain Studio which is a media management system that does it all. It manages media such as images, movies, audio and whatever is classified under media. It also manages source code for the programmers.

Also they were there showcasing Softimage XSI 4 demonstrated by Michael Isner the designer of the character-component tools and programming language in XSI and author of the book Experience XSI 4. The book is cool and even if you do not have softimage it is a great addition to any artists library as it has useful information that even a monkey could use plus all the pictures are have color. I now know why edges are an important part of modeling and why so many have requested them to be added to LW as it really does improve the workflow 100 times fold.

Newtek was nowhere to be found showcasing anything remotely reperesenting tools for game developers. From a user and someone that went to the conference standpoint I guess that it was too far [since San Antonio is just down the road] to attend and or the marketing department is not targeting Game Devolopers. However Kurtis did make an appearance as I'm the one that checked you in on Friday morning.

Overall the conference was pretty good, game developers from Korea were showcasing some great games and a little rumor that Namco will be buying some of those MMOPGs to break into the PC market on a large scale.

kurv
09-13-2004, 06:57 PM
the conference was awesome!!!

Wish I knew you were there..? I got to see Paul Steed again, very cool guy and talk with Tom Hall for a while as well, wondered where John Romero was ;) oh yeah he is newly married :)

Anywho... it was a great time... hopefully it will be bigger next year.

I was a bit disapointed though that NO 3D apps had booths. There may have been talks and such but 3D was poorly represented.

Reed
09-13-2004, 08:47 PM
The conference was cool, a little to geared towards MMO games but I enjoyed it.

Paul Steed's presentation on next gen characters was garbage in my humble opinion...BUT, it's always nice to hear from people in the industry so I'll just leave it at that.

Since the next gen consoles will be starting to roll out next fall/winter the AGDC should be bigger, I hope so anyway.

kurv
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Paul Steed's presentation on next gen characters was garbage in my humble opinion...BUT, it's always nice to hear from people in the industry so I'll just leave it at that.

Really, I did not hear the speach but Paul is a very, very smart guy. Always seems to hit the nail on the head...

Reed
09-17-2004, 03:38 PM
He's certainly intelligent and knows what he's talking about but his entire presentation seemed more like a wish list than anything else.

Talked alot about programmers giving into the artists' wants, restructuring of workflow, artist becoming more technical minded, studios more willing to train.

sounds nice:)

kurv
09-17-2004, 04:02 PM
He's certainly intelligent and knows what he's talking about but his entire presentation seemed more like a wish list than anything else.

Talked alot about programmers giving into the artists' wants, restructuring of workflow, artist becoming more technical minded, studios more willing to train.

sounds nice:)

We can dream cant we ;)

Hey noticed your in Texas... where, PM or email me :) [email protected]