PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall

goblinfx
04-04-2003, 02:44 AM
100% Lightwave 7.5 skytracer for the sky, hypervoxel in sprite mode for the waterfall, all procedural textures, saslite for the grass, spheres with clip map for the leafs, no radiosity but only 3 lights. What do you think ?

Murphy
04-04-2003, 03:10 AM
Hey man tha looks realy nice. I realy like the water in the pool. Can't wait to see more posts. I think if you used some real textures and posably some beter tree meshes it could be REALY AWSOME.

Murphy ^_^

starbase1
04-04-2003, 04:14 AM
Really good water, really good grass, very nice.

The trees at the top look very fake though, and there's something a bit odd about a butterfly with more motion blur than a waterfall, (one fast butterfly you have there!).

Nick

banshee
04-04-2003, 05:00 AM
The whole picture except the grass has a nice "impressionistic" feel to it. Although the grass looks good, it just does'nt fit with everything else if you are gearing the style like the trees, rocks, water etc... It seems like theres 2 styles going on but a really good foundation so far. Look forward to your progress.

NeilNafus
04-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Looking good, The waterfall seems a bit off, cant put my finger on it but it looks a wee bit off.

I have a few suggestions/critiques...

The rocks seem to be devoid of the moss and other greenerys that would occur in such a wet and warm spot.

here are a few links to waterfalls with the type of greenery I am mentioning...
Waterfall 1 (http://www.visualparadox.com/images/photos/w/waterfall640.jpg)

Waterfall 2 (http://www.fluidgroove.net/Gallery-Indo1/images/waterfall.jpg)

I hope those help.

The grass is a bit big, the blades themselves, and there is also a lack of other ground cover plants, different taller grasses etc.

The water hitting the beach has no foam or color change, a slight foam would help a lot imho.

Also just as a lipstick touch, looking at the type of trees you have and the type of grass its a very fairy tale feel, a soft glow would go a long way in helping that.

Keep up the good work.

-Neil Nafus
http://www.nafii.com

Rory_L
04-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I like the rocks very much, but the waterfall water is strictly 70`s disaster movie water: scale`s too small! :)

R

uncon
04-07-2003, 02:14 PM
I am looking at this from a photographers standpoint, if I am going to take a picture of a waterfall I am going to make a long exposure of it. Most waterfalls are taken this way, makes the water look like it's flowing. My advice here (and it's going to take some time to render!), set the blur length to something large like 200-400% and render off a picture with really high anti-aliasing (high or so). You will get a nice blured out flowing of your waterfall.

This assumes you have some particles moving around your scene to simulate the waterfall.

uncon
04-07-2003, 02:17 PM
I just had a thought!, render out only the sprites, with a long blur and high anti-aliassing. Then comp that onto the rocks with the alpha channel in photoshop. Save you from re-rendering all those leaves.

HowardM
04-07-2003, 03:24 PM
why not model the waterfall and use the sprites for foam?
theres a good old tutorial somewhere, about making water like that...its really easy actually, make a flat sheet, bend it, use displacement to ripple it (makes it drape kinda like curtains) and just make it transparent!...you can even animate it...

by the way, love the image...ive been fooling with Sasgrass and its great!
maybe randomly stretch some of those Leaf balls, theyre all too uniform....and something about all the tiny leaves not AAliased hurts the eyes...

wanna share your rock preset? looks cool...

mmecca
04-07-2003, 08:02 PM
what is that pink thing on the rock next to the falls?

Extent
04-08-2003, 01:51 AM
I like it alot, I would defenatly tweak those trees tho, to make it a little more random and not to look like spherical clumps of leaves. Maybe also tweaking the rock texture so it dosent look so much like teltale crumple procedural. :thumbsup:

AlphaBeta
04-08-2003, 06:54 PM
hmmmm....I also think the water fall is just a bit off.....I dont recall seeing too many water falls that had that much blue in it.....all the water falls ive seen have all been thicker and all white......try that out and see how it looks....put just a tint of blue in parts of the water fall, adding the foam as the water falls into the water would also add some more realism, and maybe add some thickness (like a sort of fog) near the water fall's bottom, it would add a nice musty feel that you get in real life... maybe try making the sprites a bit...well....thicker/ larger maybe a little more dense...

just something to think about, try it out and see how it looks.....