PDA

View Full Version : 7.5d problems

blackglove
09-12-2004, 02:39 PM
I wanted to find out if anyone else was having issues with 7.5d. I've been pretty lucky up until now with Newtek updates, but I can't seem to load most of my existing 7.5c scenes under 7.5d. Lighwave crashes and quits early in the loading process. I reinstalled 7.5c and everything works again. I am using subpatches, the built-in cel shader, a lot of morphs, and rendered polygon edges. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

Does anyone have any idea what bugs are really being fixed with this update?

I'm running an Athlon 2600 1.5G RAM, W2K SP3. It's been quite stable in general.

Thanks,

Zad

blackglove
09-12-2004, 03:49 PM
A point of clarification;

One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade to 7.5d was to determine whether the "match goal orientation" feature in IK has been fixed. I get a lot of "floating bones" when I use this feature, mostly manifesting as a display problem, and sometimes it even crops up in renders, too.

Can anyone help me out here? Is there a workaround for this? It's hard to execute some kinds of animation without it.

Thanks,

Zad

Fasty
09-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Yep when loading an old scene from 7.5c into 7.5d it crashes on me as well.

After some troubleshooting I found out that it is morphmixer that's the problem. Remove morphmixer from your objects and it seems to open fine in 7.5d.

Looks like I'll be sticking with c for a while

blackglove
09-12-2004, 07:19 PM
I think the problem with the match goal orientation is that the position of the goal is referencing the previous frame, giving you a kind of "floaty bones" effect. As you scrub around the animation you can see that the goals are a frame behind the rest of the IK setup.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone know if 7.5d fixes it?

blackglove
09-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Allright;

One more installment on this lonely conversation. If you apply a motion modifier (follower for example, with AfterIK turned on) to any element of the scene Lightwave appears to sync things correctly. Weird. Voodoo. But it seems to work. 7.5d didn't fix the problem, and I can definitely confirm that 7.5d has a problem with morphmixer.

Fasty
09-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Ok, I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. Does anyone know the email address to report a bug?

Earl
09-14-2004, 10:35 AM
To submit a bug for LightWave, use:
[email protected]

Fasty
09-14-2004, 05:06 PM

Emmanuel
09-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Does cel shading /cel edges for anyone in 7.5d ?
I tried unreal, BESM, Supercelshader and had to resort to Object/Edges-settings to actually get cl look edges.
Somehow the shaders didn't render with the nice black outline edges at all...

blackglove
09-19-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't think any of the shaders you mentioned actually apply edges (not too sure about unreal). You have to do that with object edges as far as I know. I've heard of people doing it with a fresnel shader, though.

Triple G
09-21-2004, 12:41 AM
I don't think any of the shaders you mentioned actually apply edges (not too sure about unreal). You have to do that with object edges as far as I know. I've heard of people doing it with a fresnel shader, though.

Unreal does edges/inklines, but it's a separate image filter plug that you need to apply (called EdgeTracer or something like that....been a while since I've actually used it). I've never been able to get consistently good quality with this though, and usually wind up resorting back to LW's built-in edge rendering.

Hypershade
09-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Wasnt there a problem with the update prior to ' D ' too ... no reason to install these updates, stick with 7.5

Panikos
09-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Hello my friends

Here is a quick fix for the LW75d MorphMixer.

I assume that you have the LW75c somewhere.
Make a fake installation of LW75c somewhere.
Go to the LW75c Programs folder and copy the file annex3.dll file over the respective LW75d one, overwriting it.

You can now erase the fake LW75c installation.
Now the LW75d MorphMixer works as before.

I am terribly sorry, I cant help you with the other IK problems you have.
In case I realize anything else, I will let you know.

Good luck
;)

Fasty
09-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Thankyou thankyou thankyou Panikos!!!

How did you figure that out?

Panikos
09-23-2004, 09:25 PM
patience, hardwork, intuition, more LWwavin
:cool:

Exper
09-24-2004, 02:33 AM
patience, hardwork, intuition, more LWwavin
:cool:All for free! :cool:

Panikos
09-24-2004, 05:18 AM
All for free! :cool:

Exper, it seems that you forgot that you owe me a spagetti dish upon my visit in Italy. ;)

Exper
09-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Exper, it seems that you forgot that you owe me a spagetti dish upon my visit in Italy. ;)And you forget I was adding a Neapolitan pizza too... and now... I want add some good Italian's wine bottles... all for free... of course! :cool:

Fasty
10-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Just an update...

After using Panikos' morphi-mixer fix, 7.5d is extremely stable. Haven't had a "Clear Scene" crash yet :)

Panikos
10-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah, more stable :)

Phil
10-30-2004, 12:11 PM
There's arguably little point filing bug reports for 7.5 (unless those bugs are still in 8.x) as NT won't be issuing a further update on 7.5. I have a year old, reproducible bug with multithreaded rendering in 7.x - Deuce and the guys know about it. It got fixed in 8.0.1, but not in 7.5d *sigh*

Since it wasn't fixed in 7.5d, despite the huge impact of the bug, I'm informed that the only way to get it resolved is to upgrade through to 8.x. I assume that you will get the same response. On some levels, I can understand this, given the small team and limited value in backporting fixes for earlier releases, but there seems to be no allowance for major bugs that should have been caught at QA. Fundamental and major bugs should still be addressed IMHO and lessons learnt about QA in general. I caught the multithreaded bug with my first render job on a dual CPU system after all. Your problem sounds equally obvious and I can only wonder how much QA is actually performed.

If I read irritated, I am.