PDA

View Full Version : H2MW to develop further LScript

iaef
09-12-2004, 08:49 AM
I saw this announcement made by NewTek and it immediately caught my eye.

I thought somebody might comment on it, but to my surprise nobody has mentioned it. I believe it should be good news to all of us. Does anybody knows exactly what is being planned?

I am a programmer myself and found several areas where LScript could be improved, not only as a language but as a programming tool in itself. This could really open up the doors for many programmers to get involved into the LW community.

Mike Pauza
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Too bad H2MW hasn't articulated it's intentions. They do have some sharp people onboard though, so hopefully they can take LScript to the next level.

IMO, the biggest problem with LScript is that it can only control some aspects of LightWave. I dearly covet Maya's ability to "control everything" with script, but for me personally the biggy would be the addition of full geometry (or at least vertice) control in Layout.

Turning LW into a full fledged programming language would be AWESOME!!!

-Mike Pauza

Karmacop
09-15-2004, 10:42 PM
From the lscript mailing list, a quote from one of the guys

"In the coming months we are going to be conducting discussions on how to
improve LScript as a scripting language for the users as well as solicit
ideas for future directions. In addition to this we will be working
with NewTek to identify areas where LScript is currently "blind" and
hopefully make adjustments to the system where appropriate. It is our
goal to make LScript as robust as possible, giving users access to as
much of the LightWave interface and system as is possible."

Exper
09-16-2004, 03:22 AM
I think they should concentrate on:
- better LScript integration
- everything accessible by LScript
- better compatibility with old versions: 7.5(a/b/c/d) / 7.0 / 6.5 / 6.0 (and even older)

"LScript 2 C Converter" and a Visual Editor should be a great add too! ;)

Karmacop
09-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Here's what I've read they are going to do.

- fix bugs and missing featues
- increase access to parts of lightwave
- try to keep lscript as compatible with itself as they can.
- update the docs and make tutorials

People have suggested an lscript to c compiler, but I'm not sure how possible that is :p

Mike Pauza
09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
- increase access to parts of lightwave

Any idea what "parts of lightwave" they are talking about?

-Mike

GregMalick
09-16-2004, 01:00 PM
OK... now I'm using some of the professional skills I've learned over the years on the job.

The very best first thing H2Mw should do is set up a viewable Database on their site. LScript Users could add bug reports and suggestions and H2MW could post the status...(fixed, deferred, rejected, investigating, etc..) and also they could set a priority where applicable. Maybe even pointers to threads that show workarounds.

IMO, the single largest issue is that the User Base has no clue as to what's really going on. Has the bug-fix or feature that you need to make the ultimate killer plugin been relegated to the dustbin? Knowing would be half the battle, and perhaps further explaination might change a priority. If there is a fear of showing LScript shortcomings to the entire world (WWW), then they should make the DB accessible only to registered LW users.

Additionally, it would be great if H2MW set up monthly 1-2 hour online LScript User Group real-time chats. Registration required...Unprofessional attitudes get booted, newB's welcome.

Communication is everything when developing software. And I'm counting on H2MW reading the threads in this Forum.

iaef
09-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I believe that the task is enourmous, but, surely all the community can get up and help. The idea of having it being discussed surely wuold be nice. Also an LScript basics tutorial would be a welcome addition. I don't know, but I think that maybe the could start by making some templates for readily available tools like CEdit, which would be nice.

I don't know but I agree, knowledge inside the LightWavers community would surely help this project grow. I think that we are really behind other 3D packages on scripting power, but a guidance and a best practices forum would greatly increase the actual scripting usage.

Karmacop
09-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Well they are asking for people to suggest what parts of Lightwave are "blind" to lscript, and from there they'll try their best. Of course if somethign isn't open in thhe sdk it's not likely to be open to lscript.

Someone had suggested (and I think someone is making it on their own time) and lscript database, which has every command, and much like php.net, you can look up a command which has a description, but users can also post how to use the command, workarounds, and I guess bugs. So we'll see how that goes.

Exper
09-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Really interesting! :cool: