PDA

View Full Version : Layout selection sets with LScript

exether
09-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know if there is an LScript instruction which allows to assign a numer of selected Items (e.g. bones) to selection sets ? I could't find anything in existing guides.
Thanks for any guidance on this...

Ex

t4d
09-30-2004, 03:13 AM
can't be done in lightwave sorry
Tried failed many times and asked some of the best and not joy was found :(

faulknermano
09-30-2004, 05:48 AM
this aspect is so bad one would be tempted to actually make proprietary selection set system in lw. it could be done via lscript. but one usually feels it ought to be intrinsic to lw.

t4d
09-30-2004, 06:55 AM
it's sad really :mad:
with the new scene editor in LW 8 we now have 2 sets of selection sets in layout not connected to each other and can't be accessed by Lscipt what's the deal ?!? instead of getting better its getting worst :confused:

faulknermano
09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
it's sad really :mad:
with the new scene editor in LW 8 we now have 2 sets of selection sets in layout not connected to each other and can't be accessed by Lscipt what's the deal ?!? instead of getting better its getting worst :confused:

i found out about this recently too. in my opinion, i think lw could use a "universal" set system, something along the lines of maya's set system, but something simpler and top-level and very accessible.

the idea is being able to create, right from within lw, without the need for lscript or a plugin (which needs to be loaded for it to work - the idea behind what can be defined as "built-in" and a "plug-in") a container to store all possible kinds of data. it could be raw data, or pre-processed data. the point being a set is an entity whose data can be manipulated and referenced by other sets and/or items in a scene. functions can see these sets. of course the SDK should be able to manipulate these sets as well.

imagine GE Channel Sets, SE Selection Sets rolled into one. or how about sets of surfaces or texture layers, which can then be referenced further on within the scene (or even from other scenes). this small aspect of sets is like the doorway to a more-or-less node-based system.

last example: with surface editors: imagine putting certain texture layers into a set. you can then reference that set into other texture layers. any change you make to that set reflects the others. depending on their dependencies, you can tie in the texture layers' attributes like dissolve into another set containing a channel. change the channel, change the dissolve of the texture layer, and you change everything else.

sets, imo, in this fashion, is more broad, and gives more possibility then simply being able to "select" sets for animation purposes. not only can you select sets, but can do alot more if these sets were more pliable and structured to communicate and exchange information within lw itself.

t4d
09-30-2004, 08:59 AM
i Got XSI Softimage Last month and it has the same thing as Maya
I'm really falling in love with XSi everything so right and working

the script editor that runs all the time while you work is mind blowing
Tho i havn't seen a hole in XSi yet to get me to write a script but when i do
full access to all of XSi is there as standard so it won't be a problem.

faulknermano
09-30-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm really falling in love with XSi everything so right and working

i've yet to hear an xsi and maya veteran compare the two. while i primarily use maya nowadays, it's not all rosy. but others talk really glowingly about xsi all the time. well, except xsi veterans. :)

when you say "right and working" i can say that i feel the same way about maya. but some things are quite a hassle, and i can say that in some aspects, not quite nearly there yet, too.

but in light of lw development, i think expecting the subsequent lw release to rival that "right and working" feel is expecting too much (although, in all fairness, lw has its own version of "right and working"). i prefer to voice _specific_ and _clear_ requests, and if possible, communicate how to interface with it (e.g. matt's vX project is a good example of such a request).

but in the end, us end users will have to use our reason and choose to continue patronising lw or not.

Cman
12-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know if there is an LScript instruction which allows to assign a numer of selected Items (e.g. bones) to selection sets ? I could't find anything in existing guides.
Thanks for any guidance on this...

Ex

Uh, does this still not exist?

faulknermano
12-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Uh, does this still not exist?

not in lscript. one could make a custom type of selection sets and make in interface for it. but there is no lscript command that will use the current lw selection set system, afaik.