PDA

View Full Version : Poser ?

David Sisson
09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
undefinedIs Poser 4,5 or 6 a plugin for lightwave? I have a copy of poser. I've been playing with it but all of it's plug-in's eat up so much space. Is it worth the hassle?
David :mad:

CB_3D
09-11-2004, 01:41 PM
undefinedIs Poser 4,5 or 6 a plugin for lightwave? I have a copy of poser. I've been playing with it but all of it's plug-in's eat up so much space. Is it worth the hassle?
David :mad:

If you can live with intersecting joints and broken geometry, yep.

prospector
09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I have poser 4 and the greenbriar plugins and they work fine.
yes you have the joint problem, but I see no broken geometry.
And because the plugs bring EVERYTHING from poser to LW, you can do the basic amimation in poser (which is faster) then tweak (sometimes when moving in poser it will let an arm or leg cross thru each other) in Layout. But you get the bone structure, joint weights (they may need tweaking depending on your scene), clothes, any props and such and are good for large crowds and far away people (far enough to not make out the joints). Face closeups work fine (no joints) and with the right texture painting.

3djab
09-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Question for Prospector: (Regarding Poser and the Greenbriar plug-ins)
Here's my situation...I'm working on a traffic simulation with lot of cars, and trees and buildings, etc. Now they want pedestrians. I have Poser 4 with the Pro-pack but haven't used since it doesn't work on OSX and I've now gone up to LW8. So, I was thinking about upgrading to Poser 5 and purchasing the Greenbriar plug-ins. Here's what I want to do: I just want to create some characters in Poser (male, female, kids. Maybe a few different versions with different clothes and hair color.)
And then I just want to animate them walking. And then export to Lightwave 8. How do-able is this? What are the results render wise? Are you happy with the process? How large (polygon count) are the models once they are imported into Lightwave? How difficult or time consuming is it to fix the joint problem you mentioned?Any info you can share would be great. Thanks. Using Poser would definately save me alot of time if I didn't have to create characters and motion from scratch. Thanks!

prospector
09-25-2004, 01:23 AM
How do-able is this?

Set cycle in poser,save ,import to LW

What are the results render wise?

Depending on the textures you use, either great or nasty. Most of the ones that come with Poser 4 (that's as high as I'll go), are rather drab and not too well done. But if you go to DAZ or Renderosity stores, you can get some amazing textures. And they hold up really well at close up shots (the 4000 X 4000 ones do).

Are you happy with the process?
So far...yep

How large (polygon count) are the models once they are imported into Lightwave?

This is the bad area :( Vickie2 has 29,040 polys and Vickie3 has around 37,000) so it starts climbing fast with lots of people. (and don't make the mistake I did and SUBD them 6 times :D , even with a P4 3GHz, I fell into a black hole waiting for updates). Leave the SubD to 1 and it will smooth out rather nicely.

How difficult or time consuming is it to fix the joint problem you mentioned?

I run my people in sections when I can. If only the top half is on screen then I only use the top half of the body, or just the legs if showing a low shot (this is just a habbit from the Amiga days when all the buildings were only camera facing facads, with no real structure, so you might not go that route, but all my peoples are in pieces (except for the skeletal structure for the IK chaining). But I doo keep 1 for a full body shot, but rendered at a lower res than just the parts, Furthur from camera stuff, means less detail anyways so why render at full poly count.
At a distance (meaning the full body is in view) the joints aren't too noticable if action is at speed, and if action is fast then you won't see at all, so I spend time on just fixing the sections I use for closeups, and I keep the repairs down to 1 joint or so.

3djab
09-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all of the info Prospector. It looks like I may take the plunge. Just out of curiosity, whats the poly count on the basic Poser models once imported? The DAZ and Renderosity models are way too big. I'm guessing right now that I would have about (at the most) 10 people in my scene at one given moment. (Walking and not walking) And I would have to use full body. The situation is that I work for a Transportation firm, pedestrians are considered traffic when traffic scenarios are being calculated. So if a pedestrain is walking across an intersection, I need to show that. That's why this Poser to Lightwave issue is important. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I make a financial investment. In this case it would be the upgrade for Poser and the Greenbriar plug-ins. Would I need both Greenbriar plug-ins? (Animation Loader and the CR2 Loader/Rigger) I'm assuming I would. Thanks for the help. Any other thought or comments would be great. :D

Kuzey
09-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all of the info Prospector. It looks like I may take the plunge. Just out of curiosity, whats the poly count on the basic Poser models once imported?

They have both high and low versions of each model.

15,588 polys for the poser 4 nude woman...high version.

2,800 polys for the low poly version of the business man.. here's an image:

Kuzey

prospector
09-26-2004, 12:36 AM
(Animation Loader and the CR2 Loader/Rigger) I'm assuming I would.

CR2 Loader brings in Poser figures directly from Poser files, IE no converting files first. Loader auto does it.
So in Poser if you have the guy with the Tux on and the shoes and anything else, then the loader will bring it all in parent the bones and such and save it out as a LWO file.
The Anim loader will load and play any animation done in poser with your new LWO tux guy.

3djab
09-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all of the info. Looks like I'm getting back into Poser. Should be fun...looking forward to a new challenge. I'll post my results when they're completed. :D

whattawa
09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Poly counts on our models do get pretty high since they are meant for a program that doesn't support SubD. There is another reason for the high res as well. That is because DAZ makes the models extremely versatile; one figure to solve all your needs.

The reason I mention why poly counts get high on models available from www.daz3d.com is because you could convert a figure, create 10 completely different-looking characters off of it, then derez with an auto resolution reduction tool. Usually such tools try to pay attention to areas that need the resolution and reduce those last. The high resolution can be ripped out somewhat safely and then you can turn on subD. There are some free tools for ripping out res that do all right, or some pay ones that are better. You could probably even make a normal map or something from the high res figures so they'll look much better at low res.