PDA

View Full Version : indestructible camera

lesterfoster
09-10-2004, 07:53 PM
indestructible camera

I know that this has nothing to do with LightWAVE. But I am very proud of it, and I wanted to show it off hear anyway

This is a camera case that I invented over 20 years a go. But it took 20 years to make it. I had to learn to weld to make it.

What do you think of it.

It is a Nikon FM-2 camera, and it is the camera that I grew up with.

yazan
09-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I would really bring the glossiness channel a bit down, and add more wear and tear to show the durability of the case but lack of it in the paint job. The green can be brought out a bit more with some HDR reflection as well. otherwise a very close resemblance to the real thing. GJ.
Yazan
:)
PS did you patent the idea yet? why did it take you so long? or were you just busy with other things?

miso popovic
09-11-2004, 02:40 PM
I must agree yazan, it doesen look very real, althoug the idea nice, but you still have that strong CGI feel to it, which is OK, but i fell you ware going with photoreal with this one?
:)

L_RZA
09-14-2004, 10:46 PM
I just thought it was a photo?...haha

mattclary
09-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Lester, this is really good. If you had posted this on a forum about cameras, I would never doubt it was a photo. The only think that tips me off that it probably isn't a photo is that you are here. ;)

adrian
09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Are you seriously telling me that's CG and not a photo????? Geeez.... realistic with a captial R.

Adrian.

Jim_C
09-15-2004, 02:16 PM
He's either one hell of CG artist or a remarkable welder.

Tiny welds on aluminum?
Ouch.....

etobiason
09-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Can we see a cleaner image?

Also, I would add shatter-proof plastic in front of the lens. If the camera falls on something narrow, it would still shatter the camera lens.

wapangy
09-15-2004, 03:38 PM
My brain hurts!!!

lesterfoster
09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
PS did you patent the idea yet?

No I have not patent it yet. Do you think that I should?. And how do I go about doing that?

why did it take you so long? or were you just busy with other things?

It took me so long because I had to learn how to weld

He's either one hell of CG artist or a remarkable welder.

Tiny welds on aluminum?
Ouch.....

I earn a living as a aircraft welder. I only wish that I was that good with lightwave, and if I was, I am sure that I could earn a living by being a CG artist and animator. This one is made from 321 stainless steel, but my first one was made from aluminum. The problem with my aluminum one, is that it shrink to much after welding and it would no longer fit the camera. Stainless steel shrinks a lot less.

Can we see a cleaner image?

Also, I would add shatter-proof plastic in front of the lens. If the camera falls on something narrow, it would still shatter the camera lens.

That is a fantastic idea. It is something that I am going to have to consider.

<<Thank's every one. This is very encouraging. If I were to make another one, I would make a stamping tool so I could stamp or press the case out instead of hammer forming it and welding it. The big advantage of me spending the time to make a stamping tool. Is that I could make 10 or more in less time that it took me to make this one.>>

Just wondering, what kind of camera do all of you have? I want to know because I am willing to make some more.

lesterfoster
09-15-2004, 06:55 PM
a nether photo from a different angle

GliderGuy
09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi,

It says a lot for how far 3D realism has come if you get folks who are fooled into critiquing an actual photograph and making suggestions about tweaking the textures of the item shown!

Or maybe I was fooled into believing that those doing the critiquing were serious....

Lester, take your invention to a camera gear manufacturer and get them to produce it. As far as I remember, once you make your pitch to a commercial manufacturer, you have a year in which to apply for a patent for that item.

Cheers,

Titian

micahjg
09-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey! Very cool. Very delicate work there. Do you weld this with the kind of tools that you see being used in regular construction? I'm not sure if you made it for looks but it really has this no nonsense mean and clean look of pure functionality. Sort of like a piece of a equipment that was manufactued in the USSR . Do you have a site with some of your other work?

lesterfoster
09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey! Very cool. Very delicate work there. Do you weld this with the kind of tools that you see being used in regular construction? I'm not sure if you made it for looks but it really has this no nonsense mean and clean look of pure functionality. Sort of like a piece of a equipment that was manufactued in the USSR . Do you have a site with some of your other work?

Yes!!!! Check out, Acorn welding (http://acornwelding.com) By the way, I made this website.

And check out the Whats New Button. I made all of the press tools to make these parts

By the way. I think that was one good video that you made

mattclary
09-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Lester, please take a photo of someone holding this. Hopefully you aren't as good at compositing as you are modeling and surfacing. ;)

J Martin
09-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Let's see the wireframe. :)

bcicio
09-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Actually, the answer to how long one has to patent something... which is very relevent to any CG artist posting a concept of theirs on this forum... is exactly one year from the date you publicize the item or concept. You can, however, show it to a manufacturer without starting that clock if you sign a Confidentiality Agreement with them.

Might be a good idea for me to post this warning under it's own thread for CG people who are posting design concepts they may wish to someday patent. I basically know the drill because I have 2 patents, myself, and am a member of the NY Society of Professional Inventors.

GliderGuy
09-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Let's see the wireframe.

Folks, these are PHOTOGRAPHS..... not CG!

If you read Lester's first post, you'll notice that he mentions this posting has nothing to do with LIGHTWAVE. It is a series of photographs of his invention; a camera case he welded together...

Titian

mattclary
09-16-2004, 11:37 AM
So that's why he posted it in the LW Finished Gallery?

Sorry, until I see the object in a background I'm sure isn't CG, I'm thinking it's CG. VERY GOOD CG, but CG. The ONLY reason I think it is CG is because of where he brought the image forth. It's 100% photo-real, I agree.

spikey
09-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Perfect example of people seeing what they expect to see. Sometimes dealing with photorealism and criticizing it can bite back :)

lesterfoster
09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
So that's why he posted it in the LW Finished Gallery?

Sorry, until I see the object in a background I'm sure isn't CG, I'm thinking it's CG. VERY GOOD CG, but CG. The ONLY reason I think it is CG is because of where he brought the image forth. It's 100% photo-real, I agree.
I posted it because I am a VT owner with lightwave and LightWAVE is my favorite part of my toaster. As well, I am not a member of any forums that have to do with cameras so far. And I am posting in the LW - Gallery - Finished, because IT IS FINISHED.

lesterfoster
09-17-2004, 07:13 PM
A shot from the top

Jim_C
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
This is fun....
:confused:
:p

If it really does matter, I still shoot with an AE-1 tank.
It laughs at 3 foot drops....
and good thing too.

Digital is nice but there is no replacing the sound and feel of
the shutter under you finger.
ka-zzzt

lesterfoster
09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
If it really does matter, I still shoot with an AE-1 tank.

That is funny. As that is what I have been calling it. <<camera TANK>> Any one know of a good method of doing a good job of painting this on to my case that looks professional? What about lettraset ? you know those rub on letters. ?

Here is a shot of the camera outside of the case and the case with out the camera.

shaol
09-18-2004, 12:14 PM
I have a few thoghts one is why are you welding and not molding the body peices or making it out of somekind of plastic and two is it G shock rated if it drops does it still break or is there some foam or springs that will protect the camera wile being inside the protecting sheild from the fall. :confused:

lesterfoster
09-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Actually, the answer to how long one has to patent something... which is very relevent to any CG artist posting a concept of theirs on this forum... is exactly one year from the date you publicize the item or concept. You can, however, show it to a manufacturer without starting that clock if you sign a Confidentiality Agreement with them.

Might be a good idea for me to post this warning under it's own thread for CG people who are posting design concepts they may wish to someday patent. I basically know the drill because I have 2 patents, myself, and am a member of the NY Society of Professional Inventors.Can you tell me more of the process. Now that everyone has seen it. I think that I should patent it. Can you give me some link's??

bcicio
09-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Well, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to get into patent questions in this forum. Any CG artist/inventor can find a wealth of information regarding the patenting process at the United States Patent and Trademerk website at www.USPTO.gov.

I might just add one important piece of information that CG artists should be aware of. There are two different types of patents. One is a "utility" patent -- which basically applies to how an item is used. The other is a "design" patent -- which is less exspensive, generally easier to obtain, and applies only to the "look" of an item or product. My guess is most CG artists would ultimately be able to get design patents for their creations. If a CG artist finds a manufacturer who is interested in the look of their creation.. be it a watch, car, etc... it would be in their best interest to have a design patent for it.

Beyond that, check out the USPTO's website for the costs involved in the process. They have a good FAQ section. Hope this helps.

yazan
09-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Well, I think it was obvious that we were kidding around on the critique of the work, just to break a laugh.
Patents as mentioned before are split into categories and you need to find the that fits you. It does take some money and time to get your patent, however there is a cheaper way to do it. By writing in a journal like bound and numbered notebook the process of the design along with sketches and photographs, this will serve as a legal document towards your patent incase you're not up for the cash at the time. I advise you to do it anyway.
It would be interesting if we can start a something here with this camera. If we can get just a few more side, front, back, top and bottom shots, lets see if we can build it and post to compare CG to the real thing. We'd need your help for the images and possibly some textures. I think it would be a nice group discussion/ excersise that would have everyone in the work and here to critique the work in progress, we'd probably have to take it to the WIP section though. Just a thought.
Yazan

lesterfoster
09-26-2004, 04:11 PM
I have a few thoghts one is why are you welding and not molding the body peices or making it out of somekind of plastic and two is it G shock rated if it drops does it still break or is there some foam or springs that will protect the camera wile being inside the protecting sheild from the fall. :confused:
I would like to make a stamping tool, so I can just press the cases out. But making a stamping tool costs a lot of money. It would how ever take the same time or less time to make a stamping tool, as it took me to weld this case. I make lots of stamping tools at work. So I know how to make the tools,. The big advantage of making a stamping tool, is that I could just stamp the cases out. I could probably make 5 cases a day. What I was hoping to fined out by starting this thread is what kind of cameras do people have. So I could decide what stamping tools that I should make. I am thinking of making one for the Canon EOS D10, or perhaps the Canon EOS D1.

Check out Stamping Tools (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=24631&page=2&highlight=stamping+tool)

I have considered making one out of plastic and / or rubber. I am still thinking about how to go about doing this. I also work with plastic at work,

I do have the camera padded. if you look closely at the motor drive, you well see that it is padded. It is covered with one layer of hockey tape, than one layer of that two sided fome tape, than a nether layer of hockey tape. With my test camera, I had that padded to. It gives the camera a nice feel to the hands and protects the camera very good.

I have done lot's of drop tests, and the flipping drop tests, as well as the hammer tests, by hitting it with a hammer and knocking it off the table on to the floor. I would have to guess that the camera that I had win I made the case was dropped at least 50 times. How ever. After dropping it that many times. The shutter fell out, All of the inside parts of the camera had shaken loose, and the camera no longer worked. The good thing is that after I took the camera out of the case, there was not a scratch or a dent on it any where. The camera was in mint condition. All that it needs is to be rebuilt.

This camera I just bought. I got it at a good price. I paid less than half of what it is worth as a used camera because the original owner had dropped it, and made a big dent next to the re-woind crank. I know that if the original owner of this camera had my case, that this dent would not have happened

GliderGuy
09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Well, I think it was obvious that we were kidding around on the critique of the work, just to break a laugh.
Yazan

Hey Yazan,

No, I don't think it was obvious that you were kidding around... Come on, fess up, you were fooled into believing it was CG because as one poster put it, "that's what you expected to see." ;)

It sure was funny to see the suggestions on how the surfaces could be improved though...

Now I'm really just yanking your chain....

Cheers,

TS

bcicio
09-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Hey Lester,

It's pretty funny how people thought your photos were just good renders and started critiquing them but, seriously, you may find it a little more fruitful to discuss your blast-proof camera case in a photography-based forum such as the following:

http://www.phototakers.com/forum/

I'm not the forum police. Just making a friendly suggestion.

Imatk
09-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I would agree with bcicio, this is not the forum to post pictures of inventions with cameras... it's a CG forum dealing with Lightwave Finished Renders.

lesterfoster
03-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for all of the good comments.

Well it looks like I am not going to get my car on the road any time soon. After finely paying off my VideoToaster. I have just upgraded it to the new VT-4. And now I just upgraded my camera.

Now I half to learn how to use it. It is the Canon D20 (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10464) with 8.2 megapixel SLR with interchangeable lenses.

Now that I have this new camera, I am thinking of making a case like I did for my old camera. Except instead of hammer forming it and welding it. I would rather make a stamping tool and stamp these cases out. The only problem with making a tool, is that it would cost a lot of money. It would probably cost as much to make the tool as it cost for the camera. If I was to hammer form it, it would just take up my time and not my money. But I would only have one case. If I was to make a stamping tool. Than I could make lots of these cases and I could sell them to others who have this same camera as I have

How much do you think that I should charge for these cases if I was to make a stamping tool to make these cases.

As much as I like my new camera, I still like my old one better. And as much as I like my old camera, I like my LightWave camera even better. There are lots of advantages with my lightwave camera that a real camera just cant do. And lightwaving is fun.

Starlost
03-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I would like to see the wireframe version of this one. Any chance that you can do that?

spec24
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
the post probably should have gone in the general discussion forum. I have no problem with it here however - just forum etiquette I guess :)