PDA

View Full Version : Wireframe - style effect

kgwilso
09-10-2004, 01:41 PM
I would like to render some wireframe-style icons in Lightwave. How do I render so that the outlines show, but the surfaces remain solid so that you cannot see through them? I have played with the "Render Mode" setting in the Render Options, but wireframe does not give me what I want.

I have also looked under the "Surface Editor" and on the Advanced TAB, found Line Size with the option to render outlines. However, this option renders ALL outlines, including the ones that show through the surfaces.

Am I close?

Thanks,

Ken

John Fornasar
09-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Have you tried the Edges tab under Object Properties? This should give you what you want. The effects should be covered in the manual.

If you are looking for the "Sprint" pin dropping effect where the pin goes from wireframe to shaded, there's a tutorial (using older methods) on the web called (something like) Wireframe to Solid. I'm pretty sure one of the regular contributors to this site put a "new" method up using LW7-8 tools - check the tutorial section.

kgwilso
09-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I'll try that when I get back to my machine on Monday. I also found a tutorial on the newtek site about sketch-style or cartoon style renders, and there is a plugin / shader that may be able to be tweaked and give me what I'm looking for.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

ken

EmperorPete
09-12-2004, 07:37 AM
You mean like this (the wireframe part of it anyway)?
http://www.studio-draven.com/bwahaha/Op_II_Wallpaper.jpg
Link to the fullsize 1024x768 version (http://www.studio-draven.com/bwahaha/Op_II_Wallpaper1024.jpg)
This is how I did it. I won't go into putting the images together in Photoshop, I'll just concentrate on the wireframe.
1 - Surface editor. I made every surface on the model pure black, with no diffuse, specularity or anything (you dont have to do that; I simply didn't want any textures).
2 - Object properties>Edges. I clicked all the boxes (Silhouette edges, unshared edges, sharp creases, surface borders, and other edges I set the edge colour to what I wanted, and made the particle/line thickness 0.5 (I suggest mucking about with all these setings until you find the look you want). A quick way of doing all of this is to use the Spreadsheet editor. All this was a nightmare before it existed...!
3. If you are doing the surfaces in black like I did, Lighting is irrelevant for this sort of shot. However, I did find that making the surfaces 100% luminous and adding glow made them stand out a little more. Otherwise, don't worry about doing that, and render away like normal.
4. Just render your shot :)
One more quick thing; If you are planning to do a shot like the one I did, you might want to render the wireframe shot at twice the resolution of the fully textured one, and resize it in Photoshop. That way, you won't lose any of the fine line detail).
Hope that helps :)