PDA

View Full Version : VFX LW8 Review

hunter
09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
seen this?

http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=57c5ed8a&atype=articles&id=2219

Titus
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
"NewTek, the developer of LightWave 3D, must have quite a bit of marketing know-how. After all, they released LightWave 3D [8] this past spring and artists around the world stood in line for hours to buy the new version. Oh wait, sorry, that was Doom 3"...

And then I lost all the interest in the article.

hunter
09-10-2004, 02:16 PM
"LightWave is the 3D tool of choice, but it is clearly an underdog here in the U.S. I sincerely hope that Newtek finds a way to get LightWave noticed. With version [8], LightWave 3D remains a great program, with an excellent workflow, decent stability and an excellent renderer"

I know but he's not wrong about their marketing.

Emmanuel
09-12-2004, 07:07 AM
"Surfacing is improved in LightWave [8], but not a great deal. The best new Surfacing feature is the ability to make global changes to surfaces in the dope sheet. This access is especially useful when coordinating an animated surface with the movement of an object or character. Imagine animating a bird flying over a school of fish, where the fish are merely a scrolling texture. Changes to the bird's flight path are now easily matched in the fish texture by making the changes all within the same dialog box. The two elements are separated by a tab, not an ideal setup, but still superior to 3ds max's daunting Track View."

:D

Castius
09-12-2004, 07:49 AM
That was a horrible review.
Many good points but extremely opinionated and full of miss information. You can easily move ALL keys in the Dope Sheet in channel tab.

It should have said although you can move all keys in the channels tab, I would have liked to have seen the ability to edit surface keys in the items tab.