PDA

View Full Version : About User IDs

NormJ
09-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, since I've been responding to folks in my Rope thread on the WIP Gallery, I got to thinking, where do folks get all of those nick names for their User IDs.

I'm the techie type, not an artist, so when it came to a user ID, I was only creative enough to use my first name and last initial.

Any of you willing to let the rest of us know the background on your user IDs? Who knows, maybe it'll even inspire us techie types to be more artistically creative.

Norm

adrian
09-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Well there used to be an option to edit your nickname but since the new format I can't find it.

Adrian.

kevman3d
09-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Someone used to call me 'Kevman' a lot at one of my IT jobs many, many years ago... (Well, it was more like 'Captain Kev-mayayayayayan' (in the style of that old cartoon 'Captain Caveman' if anyone remembers it)) :D

It just stuck (and I jammed a '3d' on the end cause the domain name was already in use by someone else and I wanted to set up my website at the time)

adrian
09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey Kevman,

Captain Caveman..... yeah I do remember that from yester-year.

Any CG jobs going in that beautiful city of yours?

God I'd love to live there...

Adrian.

Silkrooster
09-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Beleive it or not, I got mine by using the random generator that MSN ZONE uses to create screennames. I guess it kind of stuck. Now I just have to create an avatar of a rooster wearing silk clothes. :D
Silk

lesterfoster
09-11-2004, 08:46 AM
I want to change my user ID. But I don't know how. I even asked Chuck if he could do this for me. He replied saying that the staff is looking in to it.

Karmacop
09-12-2004, 10:28 AM
I got Karmacop from the Radiohead song Karma police. I started using the name years ago on irc.

alto1_MO
09-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I got my name from an email address I still have, but I started it quite a while ago. At the time, I was in high school, and I played the alto saxophone. I also live in Missouri, so I added the state abbreviation. Apparently, Alto_MO was taken, so I tried adding a 1 and it worked. I've been using Alto1_MO for about 85-90% of my usernames at different places ever since.

Xorlium
09-12-2004, 02:01 PM
To create a random name:
-Open notepad
-close your eyes, start typing as fast as you can, with as varied letters as you can.
-choose and complete with vowels

:)

I've gotten a lot of names for characters in stories like this :)

OR, you could search google for "random name generator" and that's it :)

Castius
09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
You can laugh if you want. But mine is a D&D character name that i created in high school and i've been using it as my internet ID for about 8-9 years or more.

WizCraker
09-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Back in the day I was very interested in crypto and the people who break it called cypherpunks were called Wise Crackers. Do to some limitations in earlier software I had to cut the name down which thankfully is a lot easier to type over and over. WizCraker pronounced as Wise Cracker. I've been using it since 1992 all results in google point to me. : )

Wickster
09-12-2004, 02:36 PM
I've had mine since high school...well it started with Wicket...you know you try to come up with the coolest nickname in high school. Then it involved into this.

By the way how do you all get those uber cool little quotes under your usernames? Instead of daying "Registered User" or something.

Jim_C
09-12-2004, 02:42 PM
I had always heard if you wanted to becom an adult entertainment star to use your first pets name then the street you grew up on.

Maybe that will work for screen names too.

Mine would be Tucker Spruce, which actually does not sound too bad.

Actually I am as creative as you Norm.

:p

Jim

(I will say I wish we had our first names somewhere also. I have become very aquainted with many on this and other forums and sometimes feel a little funny and impersonal saying "Hey Delta43_tron_nugget how are the kids?" and such.
Maybe that is just me.)

Lightwolf
09-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Well, in my case it is kind of obvious, especially considering that my real last name _is_ Wolf :)

Cheers,
Mike Wolf

art
09-13-2004, 08:02 AM
I also used my first name with coincides with what can be done in LW. I thought I was lucky it was not taken. Since I have chosen my first name as the ID, you can tell I am also a techie type. My last name is too long to fit on this board. :)

Para
09-13-2004, 08:12 AM
My nick is shorted version from Paradoxal, which is quite self-explainatory if you know me. Nowadays I use this nick and sometimes Parantumaton/Parantunut (Incurable/Cured in English). Also Parrarraa is my nick in every UT game since it sounds stupid enough to fit into the theme of those games :)

caesar
09-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Caesar= Cesar, my first name ! Im not so mysterious :)

Well, some time ago I used Unborn in online games, CSFalcao, or falcaoonline

dwburman
09-13-2004, 09:33 AM
dwburman = Dana Wellington Burman

I never did get a satisfactory nick name out of my name.

I also go by SPLYT some places (mostly gaming). That's like a SPLIT where the "I" has been split. I suppose it could be short for split (or multiple) personalities, but I kind of grew out of the phase where mental instability was considered cool. Names like DESTROYER or SPINECRUSHER seem too antisocial to me these days
:)