PDA

View Full Version : Bad Movie, Bad!

vrolfak
09-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Hello ppl.

Im a professor at Lassale College in Bogota, Colombia...

Were having some problems using lightwave 7.5 under Mac OS 10.3 (panther), when trying to make a preview of animation, or rendering an error message comes uot saying "Bad Movie. Bad!" and after clicking "OK", it crashes!

im really having problems with this cause i cang get my students to complete the assignments, so please anyone with information about how to prevent or fix this will be greatly apreciated.

CheerS! :cool:

bloontz
09-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a programmers warped sense of humor, not helpful and not acceptable if it leads to a fatal error. I think you will need to give more details or post the scene if you want help on this one.

NigelH
09-09-2004, 04:54 PM
I have come across this situation on OSX if I try to create a preview movie and:

1) I have the previous preview open already in Quicktime player, or

2) The previous preview movie is selected in the file browser (which opens a little quicktime preview in the browser).

I don't know if this helps, but I always have to make sure that the 'CurrentPreview.mov' file (found in the LightWave/programs/ folder) is not being used by another application - usually Quicktime - before I attempt to make another preview. Otherwise, LightWave can't replace it.

ivanze
09-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Vrolfak, I didn't know there were people teaching LW in Bogota.

I live in Cali and I would like to get in contact with you.

Any number I can call you?

Ivan.

vrolfak
09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
NigelH: i dont think its that, but i sure hope so! tomorrow at college ill check it out and see if it works, otherwise i dont know what could be causing it. if it was only the preview, it woudnt be so bad, but its the render also, so i NEED a solution to this.

Vrolfak, I didn't know there were people teaching LW in Bogota.

I live in Cali and I would like to get in contact with you.

Any number I can call you?

Ivan.

Claro que si, mi cel: 315 857-1476
casa: 4006685

si me llamas maana viernes en horas de la maana estoy en la casa. de 1 a 5 estoy en clase en la U, sino por la noche me encuentras en el celular fijo.

la direccion web de la Universidad es: http://www.lasallecollege.edu.co/home/index.asp
(diseo grafico)

CheerS!

NigelH
09-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Since I've only had this happen while creating previews, I can only speculate about your renders, but here goes :-) -

Might it be a problem with permissions on OSX? Since you're in a lab environment, maybe LightWave doesn't have sufficient priveliges to write files to wherever you're trying to save your renders?

Wild speculation on my part, but the root of the problem, from my experience, has been LightWave trying to create a file and being prevented by some outside source. If it was some internal source, you would either get a more useful error message (programmers are generally not THAT cruel), or no message at all (crash, boom, gone).

If you figuree it out, let us know. :-)

vrolfak
09-10-2004, 03:02 PM
ok just downloaded the uptdate for 7.5 D but now layout wont even open. messague comes out: "Cant' open message window"

modeller opens but hasn't changed anything.

something that happened before still happens, i always have to add the plugins, everytme i open modeller. and scan directory doesn't work, i have to do it manually selecting all plugs n a file at a time.

CheerS!

NigelH
09-10-2004, 03:28 PM
something that happened before still happens, i always have to add the plugins, everytme i open modeller. and scan directory doesn't work, i have to do it manually selecting all plugs n a file at a time.

Apparently, Lightwave/Modeler are looking in the wrong place for the preference files. You have to check the 'LightWave cmdLine' and 'Modeler cmdLine' files (in LightWave 3D 7.5/Programs) and make sure that they list the exact path to where your preference files are - usually in your ~username/Library/Preferences folder.

jeremyhardin
09-11-2004, 11:47 PM
i had this problem if i tried to make a preview with a Layout frame rate other than 30 fps.

vrolfak
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM
ok, i checked the lightwave cdml, and modeller cdmline, and they were diferent by the nema of the computer, other than that they are the same, so i copy pasted the modeller info in the lightwave info.

but the problem persists. "cant oen message table"

this is with the 7.5d pdate, im gonna try the 7.5 c update and get back to you later.

CheerS! :confused:

NigelH
09-14-2004, 08:00 AM
ok, i checked the lightwave cdml, and modeller cdmline, and they were diferent by the nema of the computer, other than that they are the same, so i copy pasted the modeller info in the lightwave info.

OK, they're now both identical, but do they actually point to where your preference files are? Do you still have to re-load your plug-ins every time you launch Modeler?

simmons
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
hey vrolfak,

I also manage a 10.3.5 Mac lab, and run Lightwave 7.5 on the machines. I was able to work around the preference file location by naming all of the hard drives the same thing. (I name the client machines differently in the sharing panel in sys prefs)

I also host our user home folders on a 10.3 server, using workgroup manager to manage desktops and user prefs, and providing users with a roaming profile. This has been helpful for me because I can copy updated Lightwave pref files to their User's Library on the server. That way we can make sure all the plugins are loaded, etc in advance.

I AM however, still getting the same "Bad Movie! Bad." message... urgh.

Apparently, Lightwave/Modeler are looking in the wrong place for the preference files. You have to check the 'LightWave cmdLine' and 'Modeler cmdLine' files (in LightWave 3D 7.5/Programs) and make sure that they list the exact path to where your preference files are - usually in your ~username/Library/Preferences folder.

jeremyhardin
09-22-2004, 08:43 AM
have you checked this?

i had this problem if i tried to make a preview with a Layout frame rate other than 30 fps.

simmons
09-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your response... Just tried it. Same problem unfortunately.

I also tried changing the permissions on the currentmov quicktime file in the LW/Programs folder such that everyone has read/write access. In theory this should be the problem and it should work... but alas

Then I tried changing the permissions on all the parent folders as well. Still no luck.

have you checked this?

simmons
09-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Figured it out (for me at least)!

Changing the permissions on the CurrentPreview.mov (in Applications/Lightwave/Programs) to read/write for the group

AND changing the permissions to read/write on the Programs folder but NOT on all the enclosed items.

We got previews.

Thanks to everyone- I tried all of your suggestions!

vrolfak
10-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Figured it out (for me at least)!

Changing the permissions on the CurrentPreview.mov (in Applications/Lightwave/Programs) to read/write for the group

AND changing the permissions to read/write on the Programs folder but NOT on all the enclosed items.

We got previews.

Thanks to everyone- I tried all of your suggestions!

well im gonna see if i can get previews at least, that would help. but not solve the problem definitely.

CheerS!