PDA

View Full Version : UV turns model into something blue

Thomas M.
09-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Like I posted in a thread some time ago. UV maps are something new to me, although I know all (?) the basics. Now I created a UV map (planar/z-direction), pulled all the points apart into a grid-like form and mapped my tif-image onto this UV in Layout. The model is textured with about 40 layers of procedurals and weight maps. Now, if I turn on the UV map and make a test render the model texture is gone and the model is blue all over instead. The UV texture is in place, but it's borders look like the jaws of a shark. My model is sub-patched and I'm quited confused.

Can you help us (me and my model)?

Thanks
Thomas

tmdag
09-09-2004, 01:58 PM
hard to say when we can't see that model.. but "borders look like the jaws of a shark" happens when you have few polygons on each other.. But.. again, It's hard to say what do you mean by "borders look like the jaws of a shark" ;] .. send model or some screenshots

Thomas M.
09-09-2004, 02:32 PM
There's an area where parts of a procedural show up, but otherwise everything is gone. In Modeler the UV looks correct in texture mode.

I don't know. That's really strange to me.

Thomas M.
09-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Uuups! Forgot the image.

Thomas M.
09-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Hi, I thought this image should be of some help, but unfortunately I didn't get any reply yet.

Probably I'm doing something wrong from the start. I select the polygons I wish to apply my UV map to. Then I create the UV map, pull the points to the places I want them to be in UV view and safe the model. In Layout I create an image map, choose UV as the type of projection, select the UV map name and an image.

The effect is always the same, either with this model or a different one with just one procedural texture and 10 points all together: The UV map changes not only the area it is applied to, but also the rest of the model textures, even if these are not part of the UV map. It's only one surface I use.

Do I have to create the UV for all the polygons, merge or unweld anything, is there some white/black magic I have to perform, any ritual?

Please give me a hint, it can't be that difficult. I want to participate in the wonderful world of UVs, too.

Thanks folks
Thomas

Rory_L
09-13-2004, 12:38 AM
You need to UV map all the polys to which the surface material with the UV mapped image is applied.

When you have another UV mapping problem please post pictures of the model AND the UV map. We need to see both to give you more than just a guess as to the fault.

BTW, with 40 layers of procedurals there, you might get better rendering performance if you baked them to your tif image and just used that alone.

Cheers,

R

Thomas M.
09-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Thanks Rory,

yesterday evening I finally managed to map my image correctly. I unwelded all polys, selected my UV map poly, inverted the selection, added the same UV to these polys and in the UV view pulled all these out of the UV coordinate system, merged and all my worries have been over.

Thanks
Thomas

Rory_L
09-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Cool! Happy to help.

Exception
09-14-2004, 03:36 AM
40 layers?
Dang! What are your render times? Perhaps would be good to bake some of them...

Thomas M.
09-14-2004, 05:14 AM
Render times are o.k. right now, but as I have to attach all the arms to the octopus I will bake all the maps to model and then start texturing the rest. I render the model in several threads, so there isn't really A render time. I guess in the end I'll have to wait for 5-6 days. Even if I render the model on 3 separate machines (each 1gb ram and 2,6-3,0ghz). It's a still and needs to printed on billboards (loads of reflections, äahh).