PDA

View Full Version : ADAPTIVE SUB-D and a new UV tool...

Ramon
04-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Just like in Maya 4.5. This will facilitate highly detailed geometry that is highly efficient.

Also, for mapping greatness, how about a tool that doesn't change the size of polys (width, length) when a UV map is created? This would help extremely with texture strecthing. Currently, if you choose to use, say spherical or planar in UV, polys inherently get compressed and stretched to accomodate in the UV view. If in these UV mapping methods, the polys can retain there appropriate dimensions.

That would be real nice eh?
Later,
Ramon

Mylenium
04-03-2003, 10:30 PM
I hope they don't make it like in Maya - otherwise NewTek go "Boom!". Really, no kidding there. AW uses the Pixar algorithms and that hierarchical version is an advanced version involving some of AW's own science. If they ever found out NewTek copied it, there would be no longer LightWave 'cos there is no longer NewTek. Maybe they can make something similar, though, without infringing anyone's patents. As for UVs - they surely need some improvements in many areas.

Mylenium

faulknermano
04-03-2003, 11:18 PM
and speed! dont forget speed. maya's subds have good features, but they're dog-slow. speed is key.

Ramon
04-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi ya'll. Mylenium, I don't mean for them to infringe upon A/W. I just wish that they could come up with something simular that indeed is truly adaptive in nature. Softimage has an implementation and so does 3DS Max in their 4 and 5 version. Lightwave is the only one out of this group that doesn't allow you to create higher localized levels of geometry. These "adaptive Sub-D's" (as Brad Peebler once told me that Newtek calls them) are essential for highly detailed and effecient models. It also could greatly aid in more realistic results for displacement maps - given the increased geometry in just those needed areas.

However, all this discussion maybe a moot point given that their is definitely something foul about the Luxology/Newtek divergence. Seems that because of this issue and it's outcome of apparent delays with major upgrades in the foreseeable future, an excellent LA studio that has been strictly a LW house has now been gradually moving over to Maya. They're are sad about the fact that Lightwave is now without the same core developing for it's future. I agree and I'm also very sad to know that they felt they had to leave Newtek and go their own way.
Lightwave (7.5) is an excellent product. It has an excellent renderer, a no-nonsense very straight foward interface design and most excellent modeling and surfacing capabilities (although as we have discussed, we would like to see improvements and new features to modeling and animation - Maya's set driven key is really nice and easy to setup). I would love to see Newtek pull it together and make things work with Luxology to continue this great app and bring it into the fold of programs like Maya and Softimage and even Hudini. To do this, R&D will most likely have to be stepped up which in turn will more than likely drive up the price. Though if the fruits of their labor are impressive, I wouldn't mind flipping for it.

faulknermano
04-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Ramon
Maya's set driven key is really nice and easy to setup

hear hear! :D it is a lit hard to get edit it afterwards though because, imho, maya's interface to its stuff is rather convoluted. great system nevertheless and hoping this kind of stuff will materialize in future versions of lightwave.

Vincent Brumbac
04-10-2003, 07:56 PM
trueSpace6.5 recently came out with Selective SDS. It sounds similar to adaptive SDS.

Vincent D. Brumback

Lamont
04-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ramon
Also, for mapping greatness, how about a tool that doesn't change the size of polys (width, length) when a UV map is created? This would help extremely with texture strecthing. Currently, if you choose to use, say spherical or planar in UV, polys inherently get compressed and stretched to accomodate in the UV view. If in these UV mapping methods, the polys can retain there appropriate dimensions.You don't use the guide?