PDA

View Full Version : Sushi for you!

nemac4
09-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Rendered with fprime. I tried to render with native LW but gave up after 8 hours and it was still on the first pass. Fprime cranked it out at 1024x768 in about 20 min. The rice still looks a little funky. I may work on it some more,.. but I doubt it.
Inspired by a sushi book that my wife got for me.

David Mitchell

JML
09-09-2004, 11:28 AM
it's looking really good,

what did you use in this scene which is so slow to render?

nemac4
09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Two area lights and one point light. Most textures have some reflectivity,.. which is raytraced and uses an image world probe pic. The rice has transparancy, translucency and many individual kernels, which is raytraced as well.
I stated out using HD instance but had trouble getting the look I wanted,.. so I just placed the kernels myself. Of course HD instance doesn't work with Fprime,.. which was another excuse to do it manually. :)

adrian
09-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Rendered with fprime. I tried to render with native LW but gave up after 8 hours and it was still on the first pass. Fprime cranked it out at 1024x768 in about 20 min.
David Mitchell

Geez... is F-prime that much quicker than LW's renderer usually??!! That's an incredible amount of difference.

Good render BTW, I like the blur.

Adrian.

riki
09-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Nice work looks good.

veljko
09-10-2004, 04:22 AM
cool image- i can see it is 3d but like it non the less!
cool worjk:)

i just dont use the key f9 in lw anymore...
I just have to invent new and funny ways to bypass shaders and displacement maps
:) fprime rulez:)
and this is commin of a guy who at first tought it sucked ***:)

Seraphim
09-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Hmmm.... I'm not found of sushi...but since it's lightwave sushi its gotta be good! Great render man, I like the shadows and the depth of field blur.

Cheers!

nemac4
09-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. I actually wasn't going for realistic,.. but a co-worker wanted a print of it so pushed it a bit more. I was mainly trying to test hd instance and an idea for a short animation. I don't know if I'll ever get around to making the animation,.. but you never know.

As far as fprime's speed,.. in scenes with heavy raytracing and lots of polys... it's nice to have. Nice for tweaking textures, lighting too.

Here is another big render,.. I let it cook while I typed this response. :)

dwburman
09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
The seaweed wrap seems too uniform to me, but I'm sure the chefs strive for perfection down to the number of rice kernals in each roll.