PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Demos From T3

RayLarson
09-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Just completed some quick demos for our website. The T3 is amazing. Check them out.

http://www.larsonproductionsri.com/video-samples.asp

Jim Capillo
09-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Very nice, Ray ! :) I'd raise the prices !!!!!!! ;)

Rich Deustachio
09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Very nice and I agree with Jim, you could easily raise your prices without losing any bookings. If you add up all of the hours you spend working on weddings, subtract out of pocket expenses, and do the math you will find you are probably working for much less than you think you are. Also factor in equipment costs and years of expected use of the equipment before needing repairs or to be replaced, insurance costs, advertising and all other expenses just to be in business.

Faraz
09-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Those DVEs look so familiar... :)

I'm glad they're getting used.

ScorpioProd
09-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Faraz, you've got tons of great DVEs on your site! :)

In fact, I was just recently downloading some of the Classic Toaster effects, some of them are still quite useful, and I missed them.

The only one that I wish was there that isn't is the jigsaw puzzle effect.

radams
09-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Hi Ray,

You've got some nice stuff!!!!

I know that your on a tight timeline and budget..but something that might be an added help would be to stabilze some of the shots before editing...this takes most of that hand held shake out...You can use aura, Mirage, or my favorite is by 2d3...(SteadyMove). Check it out at www.2d3.com. It really helps to polish up some of those hurried shots...But you can also do this in Aura but that takes several steps while the SteadyMove is faster...

Cheers,

(from another Ray)

Ray Adams
FX and Production Supervisor

R Creative Touch (US)
and
Visual Computer Services (Switzerland)

Whelkn
09-10-2004, 01:42 AM
I liked your stuff. But the one thing that stood out to me was in my opinion the over use of the 3D transistions. I feel they cheapen what would be a great video other wise. Also if you slow some of the shaky shots down a bit they tend to look better. I like your stuff and I don't mean any harm just trying to help you out.

Jeremy

RayLarson
09-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback.

As far as raising the prices, competition in this area is fierce and I have had to stay with "what the market will bear".

I have tried hard to work on the shaky shots and will be taking some of your suggestions in the future. Because of the nature of the business it is sometimes hard to make everything perfect and still make a profit.

In response to the overuse of 3D transitions, I had done these demos with simple dissolves at first and got more prospective customers asking about 3D DVE's that I said ...OK....let's just put 'em in the demos...it has worked for me and those people that don't want them usually say so at the first meeting.

Even with the accelerated workflow of T3 it is still a challenge to spend a lot of time on a wedding project without risking the chance of working for nothing.

I look forward to any and all comments and again thanks for your feedback.

kleima
09-10-2004, 12:30 PM
The suggestion above about stabilizing shots was my only thought as I watched your demos. However, I disagree with Ray on how to achieve that. It is extremely time consuming to try to stabilize shots afterwards. Although I have not used all the products Ray suggested, I know that it is impossible with some shots (at least in Aura).
Nothing (including miracles in post) beats pristine footage to begin with! Use a tripod, or a CineSaddle. Don't waste your money on a cheap tripod either, if you want really smooth pans and tilts. $600 is not enough to get you a good tripod. The good ones start at $1500-2000. (For weddings you need to be mobile, so you don't want a tripod that weighs 15+ pounds. But you pay more money for carbon fiber etc. to get a tripod that weighs 8 lb .)
If that's too expensive use a CineSaddle ($300), its not great for pans, but it sure makes solid shots (and is VERY portable)!

Jim_C
09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
I LOVE our monopod. Steady shots, can tilt, raise lower in a flash, pick up and scoot, can use the cam mount to still shoulder shoot without taking off pod.
Hand hold or steady, best of both worlds.

Certainly not as rock solid as a tripod, but for the roving guy it is a god send.

http://tinyurl.com/3vbbs

RayLarson
09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Actually, I tried a monopod and found it very useful....Probably will purchase one rather than an expensive tripod. Monopod is a good solution and the best of both worlds.

sbrandt
09-10-2004, 03:47 PM
I use a little $36 Manfrotto 679b.
I wouldn't be without it.
It makes all the difference in the world.
I can collapse it and duct tape
a small cloth bag full of lead
throw-line weights to the bottom
and hold on to it at the balance
point and voila', instant stabilizer.

wilebill
09-10-2004, 07:24 PM
----------

jennifertigges
09-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Don't be afraid of prices. I am in a small area and other videographers charge $300-600 mainly. My starting price is $1200 and I am doing very similar work to you.
There is a perceived value with a higher price point.

My clients love effects, especially in the music video montages I put at the end. Sorry, yes some seem to cheapen things, but the client is always right! Faraz, many thanks for all those wonderful effects too!

Jennifer - this marks year 20 in the wedding industry for me