PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 7.5 education edition

red fox
09-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I've just bought LightWave 7.5 education edition privately off of the net, and I was tolled by Newtek Europe that I will need to show proof that I am a student before they will transfer the license, or I will need to buy a commercial license.
I bought this version so I could just learn it and canít afford, and would have no need for a commercial license.

Is this right if Iím not a student? Has everyone that is not a student got the commercial edition?

Very unfair!!! :mad:

BeeVee
09-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi Red Fox,

Of course people that aren't students have to buy the commercial version of LightWave - how else would it work? :) Educational versions can't be resold, but if you have bought one then we would be happy to convert it to a commercial version for the upgrade fee from an educational version to a production version. This isn't the same cost as buying LightWave 8 from scratch.

If anyone else sees a good deal on eBay to buy LightWave very cheaply, it's always worth checking with us that the licence is available for transfer.

B

red fox
09-09-2004, 09:39 AM
So, there is no way I can use this version of Lightwave 7.5 (used) without upgrading it first. Can I not first learn how to use it and then upgrade at a later date?
Would another way be to purchase a used upgrade e.g. lightwave 8 upgrade, and then transfer that license?

This doseínt make sense if Iím not using it to make money (just a hobby). Should have stuck to stamp collecting!

red fox
09-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I guess my point is I can't afford to spend any more money on it at the moment (wife would kill me!). So if there was any way I can use it for now, until I can afford to upgrade it would be helpful.

:(

mrunion
09-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately not. The Educational Version is for students only, and isn't trasferrable. Currently your sheapest option is to do as BeeVee said and pay the upgrade price from Educational to Commercial version.

Og course, if you have budget constraints currently in place and cannot do it at the preset, you can still hold on to the package until you do I would think.

JamesCurtis
09-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Why not take a college course or something, then you'd qualify for the student status, this is still probably cheaper than upgrading to Commercial version.

Doran
09-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Why not take a college course or something, then you'd qualify for the student status, this is still probably cheaper than upgrading to Commercial version.

I don't know about that.. My wife signed up for a class this semester. The books alone for the course were over 300 dollars. Add that to the tuition, time, parking permit, and gas to get to school, I suspect the upgrade would ultimately be cheaper.

Here's an Idea, you could install the software, after attaching the dongle of course, and then you will have 14 days to study and learn Lightwave before the license becomes an issue. :O) If you get good in 14 days maybe your wife will be so impressed that she'll let you spend a little more. Or you could get her involved then it would be more like spending the cash on both of you.

If you already know you want Lightwave it's probably best to just save and upgrade when you can. Lightwave is worth what they ask for it.

faulknermano
09-10-2004, 02:48 AM
there are a lot of good deals out there from people who are selling off their licenses real CHEAP. i guess just look out for them.

BeeVee
09-10-2004, 03:10 AM
But, like I said, be careful and check that the vendor actually has the right to sell (and check with NewTek/Newtek Europe too). What appears to be too good to be true usually is too good to be true.

B

red fox
09-10-2004, 04:42 AM
If I was to buy a used version 8 upgrade (commercial) with licence from someone else and then transferred that licence to me. Would that work?

BeeVee
09-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Like I say, check with the vendor that they have the right to sell it and check with us that it's a real licence.

B

mattclary
09-10-2004, 05:03 AM
If I was to buy a used version 8 upgrade (commercial) with licence from someone else and then transferred that licence to me. Would that work?

You can't just buy a "used upgrade". When you buy LW from someone, you are buying the whole license. Find someone to sell it to you (no matter the price) and of course you can use it, assuming they actually own the license. It will probably be cheaper just to buy the upgarde from Newtek (~$595).

This will qualify you as a student and give you training to boot.

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/

Don't whine about not being able to afford it. Stuff costs money. If you can't afford it, you should be able to use your copy in "Discovery Mode". If it doesn't run that way, download the 7.x patches and install them, I know that at least one of them will run is Discovery Mode. You can also find a copy of Blender or WIngs that are both free.

red fox
09-10-2004, 05:50 AM
I think I originally miss understood what licence I needed; I thought that only professionals and media companies needed a commercial licence. Hobbyists like me could use the education licence.
If I was to upgrade to Lightwave 8 commercial how much that would cost me (UK price)? Compared to Just upgrading my 7.5 version to commercial?

mattclary
09-10-2004, 06:00 AM
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/price/price_e.html

Looks like:

495 Ä

LightWave 3D [8] UPGRADE
LightWave 3D [8] DUO upgrade CDs from any previous version.
Manuals are provided in electronic format.
Includes a free LightWave 3D [8] T-shirt until 15/09/2004.

Make sure they give you the free t-shirt! :cool:

red fox
09-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Woo Hooo...a free T-shirt, I Will.
Will see if I can sweet talk the Misses into letting me spend a few more of my English pounds.

Thanks for the help. :rolleyes:

mattclary
09-10-2004, 06:45 AM
If she balks at the money, tell her you could take a hobby like motorcycle racing. A buddy was aghast when he found out what LW costs (I'm a hobbiest), until I asked him how much he spent on his hobby of racing. He spends an ungodly amount.

pvillotti
09-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Good points on all counts. Becoming a full time student just to save $500 is, well, silly. Considering you can use LW pretty much outta the box...to spend the money is nothing compared to what a full blown hobby would cost.

A good example is my hobby of plastic model building. A well detailed and unique model kit can run you $150 to $300 easy. A few of those a year and...I think you get the picture.

I guess what all of us are saying is just put out the money. It is one of the most rewarding half a K's you will have spent in a long time.

An Educational Version is for student and teachers...not hobbiests. I mean Newtek does gotta make money if we expect the product to be bigger and better all the time. Good help costs.

Good luck.

Qexit
09-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Red Fox,

Before you get too excited over that upgrade price, you should check with Newtek Europe that it does include upgrading from an Educational license. I buy all my Newtek Products through Onevideo.net and they show the cost of upgrading from educational to a full production license as £689 + VAT :

http://www.oneanimation.net/info.asp?product=1678

So either see if Ben Vost will add a further response here...or get in touch with Onevideo.net and see what they have to say on the subject. If you follow the latter course, then do mention the pricing given on Newtek Europe's site.