PDA

View Full Version : Ug please help, pretty newb question

Cyborgguineapig
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Ok, my dilemma goes like this. I made an object in lightwave modeler. gave it different surfaces, ext. Then I saved the object and opened it up in lightwave layout where I gave it different surfaces and textures. it was perfect!

Then I saved my scene and came back to my project today to find that the surfaces did not save!!!!!

It was back to default grey, and I made sure I pressed save scene multiple times in a row.

Anyhow I was able to re-make the surfaces and found that I could save each individual surface.

What I don't understand is why now every-time I reopen my scene I must re-apply the surfaces?

Is there a way to save the scene in its entirety and surfaces so when I open the scene up the surfaces are already applied?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second question:

Is there a way to change surface selection in modeler and then open up your last saved scene and have the new surface areas updated?

This is hard to explain...

For example, In modeler I select 4 polygons and set them as one surface. I apply surface properties in layout and-save the scene. Now I decide I want to make 2 of those four polygons a separate surface and want it to automatically update the model in the layout scene with this new surface.

I just find it annoying to have to go back and fourth through the two programs to figure out what looks good an whether to waste time on adding new surface selections. I don't want to have to re-apply surface properties or even load them once I reopen my scene.

Elmar Moelzer
04-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Hello
All your questions will come clear to you, once you realize that in LW surfaces are always saved with the object- file not the scene- file. So you need to save your object also from within layout, once you make changes to the surfaces in Layout (via save current object, or save all objects).
If you want to change the surfaces in modeler you will have to save the object from within Modeler and replace it in Layout, or rely on the HUB to do this for you (still dont forget to save the object fro either Layout or Modeler).
Hope that helps.
CU
Elmar

riki
04-03-2003, 08:10 PM
You really should read the manual, otherwise you'll continue to have problems like this.