PDA

View Full Version : EPSF Loader issue in LW8

Ironye
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I'm having an issue with EPSF Loader in LW8 (Mac) since the 8.0.1 update that I was hoping someone might have an answer for.

I have some outlined type saved as a version 8 .eps from illustrator 10.

When I use Import/EPSF Loader in Modeler I receive the following error:

Cannot open this EPSF file. Please check the file permission.

(note: I have used different computers and different files/versions to test this and have gotten the same error.)

Thanks for any help.

monovich
09-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Just want to confirm that I'm getting this same error. I have no idea why. I KNOW there is nothing wrong with my file permissions. Files that used to open don't work anymore. Wasn't sure if this was a 8.0.1 thing, but I guess that makes sense.

monovich
09-08-2004, 12:31 PM
by the way, I'm exporting to ILL 5.5 format, which is what I always use.

monovich
09-08-2004, 12:42 PM
The same file works fine in 8.0

Ironye
09-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It must be a LW 8.0.1 (Mac) issue because the EPSF import seemed to work fine before we upgraded to 8.0.1.

I haven't had a chance to revert back to LW 8.0 (Mac) to test this but I'm sure if I did the import would work just fine.

Anyway, if I find an answer I will let you know the solution.

Thanks,

Darth Mole
09-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Yep - same here. Tried to open some text and I got the same error message. Which means relying on LW's dreadful type tool...

OnePerson
09-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I have posted this issue since 7.5 came out. The inability to import EPS files from Illustrator.

I have tried it in 7.5d using Illustrator CS and it won't do everything. I need to try Illustrator 10 and see if that works. . . on sec. . .

OK I'm back. after running the standard tests, on Illustratro 10 and saving several versions of the same file in Illustrator version 8, 6 and 5.0/5.5 Modeler now crashes.

Will this ever be fixed?

sigh.

Ironye
09-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi,

Well, I still can't get anything to import into LW 8.0.1 from Adobe Illustrator. I am still getting the same error.

I have tried to import the same Illustrator file into LW 8.0.1 on the PC and it seems to work just fine.

It seems that this little bug is affecting some Mac users using LW 8.0.1.

Gordonpee
09-09-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm getting the same error too.

I'll have to re-install v8.0 now.
Bringing in IA files is extremely important to me. It's always worked before.

Gordon

monovich
09-10-2004, 05:28 PM
back to 8 for me, too. AI import is indespensable.

munky
09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi there chaps,

I'm getting the same thing with freehand EPSF's and the way round it for me was to save the EPSF's to my second hard drive from where they opened just fine. Also I've checked and fixed all of my file permissions and while some do now work ( as in be very openable and not give me the loader error), Some area's of my mac like the desktop do still give me the loader error. Maybe it's because I'm only using 10.2.6?

anyway if you only have one drive I'd suggest saving to an external drive or (and I haven't had the time to do this) trash yor LW prefs which might work.

Hope this is of some help

regards

paul

strongarm27
09-12-2004, 05:17 PM
the only file types that work always with epsf loader are .art files. Save your files as
export/legacy/version3 files and they will import fine. I just tested with 8 and 7.5d.
Use the old format and it works every time. I have never had a problem but then
I never got eps files to work and just use older .art format. In illustrator use the
legacy .ai format. I just did this on both so it does work.

strongarm27

Ironye
09-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi there chaps,

...Some area's of my mac like the desktop do still give me the loader error. Maybe it's because I'm only using 10.2.6...

paul

Greetings,

I don't think it is OSX 10.2.6, rather it's OSX in general, because I am using OSX 10.3.5. I tested your theory and because I had saved the files to a folder on the DESKTOP I received the "File permission error". As soon as I moved those files to the main hard drive I could import Illustrator 8 .ai files with no errors. (Be sure to check that your drive has the correct file permissions before testing this) ;)

So, it seems that this may be an issue with OSX. Why the default permissions are not set to read/write from the OSX install I do not know. Maybe Apple feels that any files residing on the DESKTOP are too precious to share with other applications. :cool:

I would assume only the folks who are saving files to the DESKTOP or drives with incorrect permission settings are experiencing this error.

Hope this helps and thanks for all the input.

Labor on,

mlinde
09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
So, it seems that this may be an issue with OSX. Why the default permissions are not set to read/write from the OSX install I do not know. Maybe Apple feels that any files residing on the DESKTOP are too precious to share with other applications. :cool:

I would assume only the folks who are saving files to the DESKTOP or drives with incorrect permission settings are experiencing this error.

Question for those of you with this problem. What is the COMPLETE path to the Desktop or other location you are having problems with (i.e. Macintosh HD/Users/johnsmith/Desktop), and are you an administrative account on the machine ?

Thank you

gatz
09-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Yes, it is a permissions thang. But you can't cmd+i the solution. I found that with 8.01 if the Illustrator file is outside of my user folder it won't import regardless of how I set the permissions in the file dialog. So if you have a secondary drive your working from, that is the problem. 7.5 doesn't seem to care.

rg

wowens
09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
I'm experiencing the same problem with file permissions.

Mac OS 10.3.5
Dual 500 MHz PowerPC G4
LightWave 8.01

The problem occurs in the following locations:

Macintosh HD/Users/wowens/Desktop
Macintosh HD/Users/wowens/Documents

The Illustrator file imports correctly when opened from a separate OS 9 partition.

oneguy
09-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I am getting the same error "Cannot open this EPSF file. Please check the file permission." on all .eps files that I have tried to import in 8.01.

My permissions are set where I have read/write permission throughout my entire drive. I just have one drive on this Mac.

None of my .eps files will open in v8.01 through the ESPF Importer. I tried the ESPF loader using 7.5c and everything worked fine. This isn't a OSX problem - this is a LW 8.01 bug.

This needs to be corrected ASAP as this is one of the most commonly used functions.

strongarm27
09-18-2004, 10:09 PM
my suggestion is compare the to epsf loader plugins if the 7.5 version is older and
works just load that one into your plugins for 8. The two programs are not that different.
Many of the only things that make them different is the plugins included with version 8.
Many of those work with 7.5. just try the 7.5 plugin with 8. That may solve the problem

strongarm27

oneguy
09-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, that does makes sense. I'll try the 7.5 ESPF plugin in 8.01 and see if that works.

monovich
09-20-2004, 12:35 PM
already tried that. It's the same plugin. Doesn't work.

BeeVee
09-22-2004, 08:03 AM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=28419

B