PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Serious Dynamic Parenting Problem

3DimensionalCat
09-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi there,

I have some serious problem with dynamic parenting (motion modifier). I have several missile objects parented to a certain wing. All missiles are in the same lwo but on different layers. Missile pivots are also on different layers. Each has its own pivot placed in the modeler.

In layout, I place the objects and start parenting them to the wing at frame 0... but then... THE PIVOTS ARE NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT. It just overrides the original pivot and even if I keyframe the child later in the timeline the animation is omitted. And yes I have initial position and initial rotation checked in the parenter panel.

I don't know how but it used to work some time ago.

(If you leave the pivots on the origin before parenting they keep their proper places but then when you unparent them to animate you have an unusable pivot point somewhere too far. ruins the animation instantly)

Please help, this is really urgent and drives me crazy since it ought to be so simple a problem.

URGENT! It may cost one additional academic year to me.

: )

3DimensionalCat
09-07-2004, 09:27 PM
It is totally inconsistant. I cannot even reproduce the same results with testing.

Help!

3DimensionalCat
09-07-2004, 09:55 PM
The problem seemed to go away if you have a single 'missile' object and place and parent them all in the beginning in layout. AND you cannot have any child objects under the dynamically parented object which ruins more things than it helps.

Anyone with an idea how to succesfully dynamically parent (using the built-in motion modifier) complex objects (objects with multiple layers and different pivots)?

Please?

pooby
09-08-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that you'll find the Simple point constraints and Simple Orient constraints modifiers better than the Dynamic parenting.. As they have weight Enveloping, you can blend the effect rather than have it pop in one frame..

Dodgy
09-08-2004, 06:31 AM
You could add in null objects parented to the wings placed where you want the bombs to go and turn off Keep initial position and rotation when you do the dynamic parenting.

Dodgy
09-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Have a look at this...

3DimensionalCat
09-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the replies people.

I've also considered rigging with nulls but I have 12 of these missiles to deal with and they are still not driven by scripts. Still, I've dealt with the problem... I made one missile object and one pilon object. I've cloned and placed everything in place in layout then added dynamic parenter modifier to them. It worked out fine without any problems. I've also managed to animate mechanical parts of these missiles with endomorph. It worked out fine with missiles and the armed / unarmed gunpod but I don't think this workaround would still be enough to do complex mechanical parts.

For that I'm going to try the simple constraints and it sounds much better of a control for as you mentioned they can be enveloped.

But I don't think there is enough documentation with modifiers as a whole. So you have any advice where to start? I heard you can setup very complex and fine control systems with constraint modifiers.

Thanks again.

By the way, if you feel like it there is a preview animation of this bit of animation here:

http://www.yamtar.com/project_macross/preview2.rar