View Full Version : Latest interior rendering

robk
09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
This is a rendering I finished over the weekend. used fprime
- 4200x2800 pixels
- rendered with Fprime render to level 5
-pc (Toshiba p20 laptop, 3.2 Ghz, 1 GIG ram) lightwave 7.5
-aprox 48 hours

I set it up at 6000x4000 and 4500x3000 originally and both crashed at level 1 because I did'nt have enough ram.

Comments

liquidpope
09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I like this quite alot, with two exceptions...

A. The pool table seems to big to me. Especially so close to those chairs. Maybe the chairs are too small? One or the other seems off a tad.
B. I hate, hate, hate to see those "people" in renders like this. Mostly because the lighting on the people doesn't match the lighting in the room. (Plus, everybody does it for this type of render.) Was that a client request?

The people don't kill it, they are just out of place. They don't "fit" into the scene, but only because of the lighting.

Top notch piece of work!
Keep on truckin'...

robk
09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I know, I know. they wanted people for scale I guess. The pool table is a 6x12 snooker table so it actually is quite big. I agree with you on the chairs though, after adding the people they seem quite small. This is only my third or fourth Lightwave project so I am still feeling my way (switching from Imagine at least for interiors). I feel I am starting to get the hang of it and hope to improve in the future. There are more options in Lightwave to deal with.

Exterior lit people look like crap but he only good alternative would be setting up photo shoots with interior lighting or using 3D people (and the ones I have are very low res and suck big time) I have invested quite a bit in the people libraries and don't have a lot of time to shoot my own (with a camera of course) plus you have to deal with releases and such. It always looks a little hokey when you see the same people you use yourself used in just about every Architectural rendering posted.

Hervé
09-08-2004, 12:41 AM
he he good work, except the people... he he, the guy on the left looks like Bill Clinton... :D

lardbros
09-08-2004, 05:13 AM
yeah very nice render... but the purple rinse brigade walking through just dont do it justice!! Just a thought, and dont even know whether it'll make it look better or worse, but how about blurring them slightly to add some motion?

Never tried it so don't know if it will add to the effect or not! They just look like dummies as they are!

runelore
09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
What software did you use to do the people in Lightwave, I have clients that want people and havent really found any descent plugins/software that I can use with Lightwave...

thanks for any help...

robk
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
I use the people libraries from ImageCELS. They are just Photos mapped onto rectangular 2D planes with alpha clip maps applied. As pointed out before they are almost all exterior photos so they don't look great in interior renderings. The libraries come from ImageCELS as 32 bit tiffs so I separate the channels with Photoshop and save out the masks as separate images. Once you have the picture and the black and white mask you can use them in most all 3D programs.
find the librairies for order at http://www.imagecels.com/
I make the rectangles the same ratio as the pictures and then scale them down so they are a realistic height (about 1800mm or 180cm for men).

"What software did you use to do the people in Lightwave, I have clients that want people and havent really found any descent plugins/software that I can use with Lightwave...

thanks for any help..."

adrian
09-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Good image - I like the lighting (except on those aforementioned people!).

Can we see a closer view of the snooker table? It looks very well modelled and looks in much better shape than the one we have at work!

Adrian.

robk
09-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Can we see a closer view of the snooker table? It looks very well modelled and looks in much better shape than the one we have at work!

I believe the Pool table was a free model from 3d cafe so you can download it yourself if you want to take a closer look. Thanks for the comments

wacom
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
If you had LW 8 I would have suggested that you download a new Amient Occlusion plugin that is out- it would speed your render times way up. I use it with Fprime by rendering out a diffuse pass only in LW at a lower res and then I use it as a projected image map on the diffuse channel. It lets me just use a few area and points lights with only raytrace enabled.

Check it out here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=167204&page=5&pp=15

antwik-2
09-11-2004, 07:53 AM
thats nice, but i would like some more "volyme" in the room, it looks a little flat, and why have does people in there?

wacom
09-11-2004, 09:48 AM
thats nice, but i would like some more "volyme" in the room, it looks a little flat, and why have does people in there?

If you're asking why to me then you should check out the interior render of a VRay project done in LW with this plug-in. The real reason "why" is what is always important: SPEED.

Wouldn't it be much nicer to have this render in 1hr or less instead of 48hrs?

Here is the link I ment to put in:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=167204&page=3&pp=15

And here is the image (not mine):

Hervé
09-12-2004, 01:00 AM
I really dont like the shadows under the seat and mall table.... :(

Doctor49152
09-12-2004, 11:54 PM
2 things I recommend.

1- Go to a mall (or someplace with similar lighting to this scene) with a digital camera and take some pictures of people.

2- Put some shadows under the people. There are none in this image which adds to the 'stuck in there' effect

pauland
09-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Go to a mall (or someplace with similar lighting to this scene) with a digital camera and take some pictures of people.

You will very quickly attract the attention of the security people if you do that (certainly you will here in the UK) and I'm not sure you would automatically have a right to use such pictures. I've always assumed that stock pictures used photographs of models.

Paul