PDA

View Full Version : long pause before render window appears

mgrusin
09-07-2004, 03:59 PM
For my current project I'm editing DV from a portable USB-2 drive (client requirement). It's actually working surprisingly well, except when it comes to rendering the project back out to DV:

When I pull up the Render Project window, VT sits and chews on the USB drive for 5 minutes before the Render window will appear (it's a 45 minute project). It looks like the Render window is cacheing off an instance of the project so that it can render it even as I'm changing the one in VT-Edit (which makes sense). But in my case, it's a major pain since I have to render a bunch of little sections for DVD production, and each time I want to render a one-minute section, I have to wait 5 minutes for the Render window to appear... :p

Aside from not using USB, is there a better way to do this? (Batch rendering?)

Thanks, Y'all! -MG.

Jim_C
09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Exact same thing happens to me when doing long form DV off of my external FW drive.
It even slows down when I pop a render window open for a long DV project when they are on the raid. Not nearly as much, but some.

So at least it is not just you.
:rolleyes:

Try copying just the section you need to render to a blank new Tedit. then render from there. Should be quicker without the entire 45 to chew on.

Jim

Faraz
09-07-2004, 04:10 PM
You could also select a range of clips, right-click on it, and choose "Render Selected" That should work.

Paul Lara
09-07-2004, 11:33 PM
You guys probably already know this, but such a lag in window response can be caused if nVidia's Desktop Manager is running.

mgrusin
09-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying, had to leave my main project for a quickie.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Faraz' "render selections" still has a pretty good pause, but I didn't know that option was there :p and it's so convenient for what I'm doing I'll probably use it anyway. Jim gets the award for the quickest solution (copying off the clips to a new VT-Edit) - instant gratification. Paul, I've been burned in the past by NView, so it's usually the first thing I check. :D

Thanks again everyone! -MG.