PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring multiple camera during live switch

Chris McDonell
09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
During my last video shoot, I had monitors piled high on my vid cart to preview the three cameras I was switching. Are there any solutions to putting incoming feeds on one monitor other than using a quad splitter designed for security systems? What do you folks do?

Jim_C
09-07-2004, 11:57 AM
A quad splitter designed for security cameras.
:D
It is awesome.
Full ntsc color, real time, 2 pages of 4 inputs.
Small, plugs in to any tv.

about 350 at Markertek I believe.
So many uses for it, pre, live, and post.

Jim

Chris McDonell
09-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Thank you, Jim C, for your quick reply. However I was asking if anybody knew of a way OTHER than a quad splitter. :)

Jim_C
09-07-2004, 12:57 PM
However, you will not find one. If you want to display multiple inputs on one tv at the same time, you need a quad split. Thus the post.

Jim Capillo
09-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Not a 1 monitor solution, BUT - Panasonic makes the model 5203 monitor - with (3) 5" B&W screens in one rackmount. Sony also makes a smaller 4X4" setup (can't remember the model #).

All these have in/outs so you can pass your signal on to the switcher from the camera.

You can pick these up on ebay from time to time, but be careful of screen burns and overall junk.

wvp
09-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Marshall makes several different combinations of LCD monitors.
If you want to put 4 sources on ONE screen the ONLY way you can do that is with a quad splitter. The CHEAPEST of these is going to be security type.
Check out:
http://www.smarthome.com/7720CL.html

Chris McDonell
09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great replies.
Jim C: What use does a Quad splitter have other than during a live switch? Also, do you know if Markertek has a web site. I yahooed but I could not find one. (Although I sure I have a few catalogs hiding in my studio.)

wvp: Thanks for the link.

wvp
09-07-2004, 07:43 PM
um,
http://www.markertek.com/

cybis
09-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I've been satisfied with the Grand Magic Guard II, especially for its price.
I see there is now a III out: http://www.spyshop2000.com/quad_processor.htm

It's real-time but I wouldn't call it crystal clear. I haven't really seen any other splitters so perhaps that's just the way they all are. Nevertheless, it works great for our live switches and I'd recommend it.

Chris McDonell
09-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks, cybis. I saw the same model at smart home, but this place has it for $100 less.

I've been using my old amiga based toaster for live switching, and the video inputs have software controled temination. How is termination controled on the BOB? Jumpers? Software? 75 ohm resistors?

Chris Moore
09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
...or was that for Premiere?

ScorpioProd
09-14-2004, 10:28 PM
You mean Bob's Multi-Cam Editing program? Yeah, it works great, but that's nothing to do with live switching.

jeaston
09-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I would not use the splitter designed for security use. I like to be able to monitor not only my camera sources but the focus on the camera as well. The security splitters are not optimized for this. Just my thought.

I typically use banks of rack-mounted broadcast monitors (panasonic and or sonys). Not the lightest solution but with the Toaster eliminating so much other equipment it is easily manageable.

- John

smee-again
09-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I also use triple 4" lcd rack from marshall (www.lcdracks.com) They are great, each is dual input and ntsc and pal compatible.

I have placed them in a standard 4Ru roadcase that also houses the BOB in a slide out draw at the back. I just whack the pc's monitor on top

Here is a really ordinary camera phone image of the last gig

Cam

Chris McDonell
09-17-2004, 10:04 AM
(Refering to the previous setup) Nice rig. I have been using a 2 by 4 foot multishelf rolling rack with a drop-down lid to put keyboards and mouse pads on.
On the bottom shelf below the keyboards are UPS's, black generator and the big box of harddrives for the Flyer. next shelf holds my two amigas, a 2000 toaster and a 4000 flyer. with just enough space between to put a small lcd monitor. Next level holds a svhs deck and a dsr-11 dv/dvcam deck and a dvd recorder with hard drive. And on top of that is two old amiga monitors (which have stereo speakers and can double as a video monitors), with a standard ntsc monitor between them. For my last shoot I had two additional video monitors precariously placed on top.

I have since recieved a quad splitter I got from spyshop2000 ( http://www.spyshop2000.com/) (Thanks cybis) It seems to work just fine and even has a vga output, so I can use a computer monitor as a preview screen. Looks like it may be time to finally break down and get a bob for my VTPC. I'd like to get everything to fit inside an anvil case that I can put on top of a table rather than lug my frickin wall-o-video around. I seem to recall seeing similar systems discussed here before.